Elvis' BMW 507

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elvis' BMW 507

On display then being restored! I love seeing barn finds and being saved for many years to come and be loved. The 507 is one of my favorites of all time, I got to see many in person at a few BMW vintage shows...even better looking in person! I find it a shame they are restoring it, kinda makes it feel less special from losing the age and wear of time. LOVE that it has the '68 Bama plate.

The special exhibition Elvis's BMW 507: lost & found runs until 10 August 2014. More information on the BMW Museum can be found on its own website. Photos: BMW
    Attached Files
    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
    ~ '87 535
    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Cool article and awesome pictures, always interesting to see how upscale/ luxury cars of that time period age.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

I haven't read that link yet but had read it supposedly had a V8 motor swamp and raced??
      My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
      4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
        I haven't read that link yet but had read it supposedly had a V8 motor swamp and raced??
        Maybe. But the ODO has 00000.something. maybe between .8 and .9? Hard to tell in the picture.

Dunno what to think about it.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

I don't know the story, but it does have v8 exhaust manifolds still attached.

Comment

Originally posted by nyChris View Post
            I don't know the story, but it does have v8 exhaust manifolds still attached.
            It came from factory with a v8, the car nearly sunk BMW...it is also the car that made them stand out and become noticed and respected in the states. There was a history of BMW I watched and it covered the 507 and the iconic status it gave BMW. Think of it like Bugatti did with the Veyron, risky and lost them TONS of money.

The Z series was loosely based on the 507's styling.

Added info: The 700 and 1500 are what helped save BMW after the 507 nearly put them under, I know this because the 700 is one of my dream cars :)
            Last edited by F34R; 08-21-2014, 09:35 PM.
            ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
            ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
            ~ '87 535
            ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
            ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by TurboJake View Post
              Maybe. But the ODO has 00000.something. maybe between .8 and .9? Hard to tell in the picture.

Dunno what to think about it.
              those are stewart warner gages in a piece of mahogany plywood. looks to me the original dash cluster is long gone.
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                those are stewart warner gages in a piece of mahogany plywood. looks to me the original dash cluster is long gone.
                Figured so much, but not familiar with them. So I didn't know.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

It will be restored at the classic center..

Wonders if they have natur floor mats for my vert.
                  ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

I can see how the z cars were based on these. Pretty nice looking car.

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
                      It came from factory with a v8, the car nearly sunk BMW...it is also the car that made them stand out and become noticed and respected in the states. There was a history of BMW I watched and it covered the 507 and the iconic status it gave BMW. Think of it like Bugatti did with the Veyron, risky and lost them TONS of money.

The Z series was loosely based on the 507's styling.

Added info: The 700 and 1500 are what helped save BMW after the 507 nearly put them under, I know this because the 700 is one of my dream cars :)
                      Sorry that was from my phone and lacked detail 8^(

I meant a engine swap (not swamp) with a non stock V8:

It was imported into the United States in 1960 and was bought by Alabama disc jockey Tommy Charles, who had it extensively modified, including having the engine replaced with a Chevrolet V8.The BMW 507 participated in local drag races and in 1968 was sold to an engineer from California named Jack Castor who wanted to restore it but it ended up spending decades in a warehouse.
                      My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

Elvis supposedly had the white car painted red because he got tired of finding women lipstick all over it.

Elvis supposedly didn't own the car, but was leasing it, and through a translation error though it was his entirely.

Seems 99% of info revolving around Elvis' 507 is speculation.
                        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Not sure on the lease it sounded like it wasn't new:

"Presley’s car, no. 70079, had earlier been used as a press demonstrator by BMW and raced by Hans Stuck. Before Elvis took it over the engine was rebuilt and a new transmission was installed. The original white paint was also replaced with a Porsche Red color."

And supposedly bought another one to give away:

"Elvis reportedly gave another 507, no. 70192, to Ursula Andress."
                          My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

Pretty cool!

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                            1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                            2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

The Chevy V8 makes sense. I am not 100% sure but they do look like 350 exhaust manifolds. It also has a service tag from a Chevy dealership
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                              X