Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a feel good story about family and BMW

Hey all,

I'm your average 35yr old, grew up in the suburbs of eastern Ontario.

My parents got divorced when I was 14 yrs old, my father struggled with addiction, lost pretty much everything, and after some health issues died when I was 17, he was 47.
    My mother met a new partner when I was 15ish.

My sister and I didn't exactly welcome anyone with open arms. There was friction throughout the years. I was a near unbearable teenager with issues with authority, acceptance and motivation. I obviously didn't deal with my fathers death, nor did I accept my mothers boyfriend.

Years passed, I got a life, job, career, wife blablabla the whole nine yards.

I always had a 'thing' for the older modeled BMW's, as my father originally bought my mom a used blue E21 1983 BMW 320i.
    I remember sitting in the back of that car, feeling awesome and happy, and how my father loved driving it. (even tho it was for my mother)

It was eventually sold for cheap after the divorce, as it sat broken in the driveway with flat tires. The end of an' era.

I eventually got my 1st bmw E30 and built it up. Circumstances forced me to let it go.
    Take 2. picked up a E30 convertible about 4 years ago.
    It's been a slow project but it's essentially where I want it to be right now, with the moral support and understanding from my wife (she's very patient, loving and also super hot)
    What's left is interior restoration, and finally...drivetrain swap.

About a month ago, I find a euro-imported E32 from Belgium at the local pick and pull scrap yard, with a M30 Getrag 260 5 spd tranny.
    This yard has a promo currently, that on Saturday's it's $49 all you can carry.

I go to claim this precious/rare transmission for a super discounted price.
    I end up having to pull the entire engine out to access the tranny

Spend a good 8-10 hours (seized bolts, stubborn driveshaft removal etc etc)... myself in the beating humidity and sun pulling this darn thing only to basically get to this step pictured above. Had to pack up and leave as the yard was closing.

I head back the next week to get the tranny and my step dad says he wants to come along and help...Sure! I could use the help, plus I think it's kind of fun...he's quite mechanically inclined aswel.

get every single bolt out with a couple of hiccups, except for one.

One was stripped, and stripped bad. We try everything with the tools we had at our disposal, the yard doesn't allow any torches, air tools or fire.

We give up as it starts to rain, and we've tried everything.

I head back one last time with some grinders, chisels and anything else I could throw at it.
    about 1hr later, nothing.
    discouraged, but accept it...there will be others...likely not at $49, but such is life.

I spent last weekend in Montreal with my family. thinking really nothing much of it. Season is quickly coming to a close.

I get a call last night saying my mom and step dad will swing by for a quick visit, since they're in the area.

We're talking, weather...normally mom talk sorta stuff. I'm asked if I ever got that transmission I had been working on, said "nah, I gave up" it's fused/stuck/whatever I couldn't get that bolt cut with hand tools, the grinders I used just kept getting eaten up.

Step dad goes on, well that's interesting...as he pops the trunk of the car to reveal the very transmission I had been trying to aquire for a dogs age.

I was floored...it was the last thing I'd expect and never in a thousand years thought this.

It kind of moved me, I was literally speechless as I really didn't know what to say-

for someone to go out of their way, to get something for me was pretty impactful to me...considering what it was I thought it was incredibly thoughtful.

Here it is!

the $49 M30 Gertrag 260! that I *almost* got on my own lol

Either way, I thought it was really nice and it truly made my day.
    Last edited by Mr. Burns; 08-26-2014, 07:31 AM.
    Originally posted by flyboyx
    i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

I'm getting all misty eyed here.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by JinormusJ
    Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
    1989 325is Raged on then sold.
    1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
    1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
    1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

Someone should make a movie of your life. Nice story
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=267166
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=380488

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post
        Hey all,

I'm your average 35yr old, grew up in the suburbs of eastern Ontario.

My parents got divorced when I was 14 yrs old, my father struggled with addiction, lost pretty much everything, and after some health issues died when I was 17, he was 47.
        My mother met a new partner when I was 15ish.

My sister and I didn't exactly welcome anyone with open arms. There was friction throughout the years. I was a near unbearable teenager with issues with authority, acceptance and motivation. I obviously didn't deal with my fathers death, nor did I accept my mothers boyfriend.

Years passed, I got a life, job, career, wife blablabla the whole nine yards.

I always had a 'thing' for the older modeled BMW's, as my father originally bought my mom a used blue E21 1983 BMW 320i.
        I remember sitting in the back of that car, feeling awesome and happy, and how my father loved driving it. (even tho it was for my mother)

It was eventually sold for cheap after the divorce, as it sat broken in the driveway with flat tires. The end of an' era.

I eventually got my 1st bmw E30 and built it up. Circumstances forced me to let it go.
        Take 2. picked up a E30 convertible about 4 years ago.
        It's been a slow project but it's essentially where I want it to be right now, with the moral support and understanding from my wife (she's very patient, loving and also super hot)
        What's left is interior restoration, and finally...drivetrain swap.

About a month ago, I find a euro-imported E32 from Belgium at the local pick and pull scrap yard, with a M30 Getrag 260 5 spd tranny.
        This yard has a promo currently, that on Saturday's it's $49 all you can carry.

I go to claim this precious/rare transmission for a super discounted price.
        I end up having to pull the entire engine out to access the tranny

Spend a good 8-10 hours (seized bolts, stubborn driveshaft removal etc etc)... myself in the beating humidity and sun pulling this darn thing only to basically get to this step pictured above. Had to pack up and leave as the yard was closing.

I head back the next week to get the tranny and my step dad says he wants to come along and help...Sure! I could use the help, plus I think it's kind of fun...he's quite mechanically inclined aswel.

get every single bolt out with a couple of hiccups, except for one.

One was stripped, and stripped bad. We try everything with the tools we had at our disposal, the yard doesn't allow any torches, air tools or fire.

We give up as it starts to rain, and we've tried everything.

I head back one last time with some grinders, chisels and anything else I could throw at it.
        about 1hr later, nothing.
        discouraged, but accept it...there will be others...likely not at $49, but such is life.

I spent last weekend in Montreal with my family. thinking really nothing much of it. Season is quickly coming to a close.

I get a call last night saying my mom and step dad will swing by for a quick visit, since they're in the area.

We're talking, weather...normally mom talk sorta stuff. I'm asked if I ever got that transmission I had been working on, said "nah, I gave up" it's fused/stuck/whatever I couldn't get that bolt cut with hand tools, the grinders I used just kept getting eaten up.

Step dad goes on, well that's interesting...as he pops the trunk of the car to reveal the very transmission I had been trying to aquire for a dogs age.

I was floored...it was the last thing I'd expect and never in a thousand years thought this.

It kind of moved me, I was literally speechless as I really didn't know what to say-

for someone to go out of their way, to get something for me was pretty impactful to me...considering what it was I thought it was incredibly thoughtful.

Here it is!

the $49 M30 Gertrag 260! that I *almost* got on my own lol

Either way, I thought it was really nice and it truly made my day.

tldr: OP isn't man enough to get a transmission out of the junkyard, stepdad steps up and gets the job done.

I kid. :p
        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Cool story brah

Comment

Sweet
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Very cool story! Glad to see that

My mom had a E21 when my parents got married in 1985.

Her dream is to own a nice E9 someday - so I will try and make that happen.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
              1983 Peugeot 505 STI
              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
              2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Hes a good guy
                We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

doing this for someone is as meaningful as being on the receiving end.
                  sounds like he likes you....
                  “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                  Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

pics....of wife?

Comment

Good story, i wasnt sure where it was going. But it had me warm and fuzzy inside. *calling dad now*

Comment

Especially after our talk, I'm so happy for you man! Great story and I hope you two can get that sucker on the road and looking 'norwegian' ;)

Comment

That's pretty awesome!
                          '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                          '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Yeah, I like that.
                            Originally posted by Andy.B
                            Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                            1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                            ~~~~~~~~~~
                            I was born on 3/25…
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

What did he do to remove it? nice of him to do that for you :D
                              ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                              ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                              ~ '87 535
                              ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                              ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Working...
                              X