No announcement yet.

Time Attack E30 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple shout outs here. I do shakedown at a little local track (down in Tuscon, AZ) called the Musselman Honda Circuit. They are good people down there and they charge a really reasonable fee for open track hours.

Here is a shot pre-shakedown. 5 hrs of open track time on a Thursday for $80.

My buddy here in Phoenix, Alex Fuller at Bimmer Life Tuning, has done the tuning work on the car after the E85 conversion, and we ended up with this dyno graph. Now, I'm not a big believer in the numbers, but I will say that this was done on a Mustang dyno in 115 degree ambient temps. We hit some artificial knock I believe is coming from the harmonics caused by the aluminum engine mounts. I will say that I am really happy with the torque curve, and that all the power feels very usable. We are going to put it back on the dyno once it cools down a little and I swap back to Delrin mounts.

sigpicLevel Motorsport: www.levelmotorsport.com

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/levelmotorsport/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LeVelIndustries/?fref=ts

Comment

wow man, speechless. This is so cool. The underbody aero is very impressive work, as is the bodykit. The front bumper actually looks pretty cool imo

do you have any detailed shots of the tubular core support? Like with the core support installed but the bumpers/valence/grills off?
      EDIT: never mind, found the pictures on page one, so cool!
      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
      Shadetree30

Comment

geez...
        sigpic1990 325IS,
        2.7L bottom end, Shrick 272 Cam, and a heck of a lot of bald tires.

Comment

hell yea! I love it!
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Trust me it stock :yawn:

Comment

Here is some recent in-car video for you guys to check out. Sorry for the lighting, it's tough to manage the sun glare.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

That course looks awesome. Car sounds sweet also.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

This is an amazing thread. Funny Ive been reading about aero underbody stuff and nobody has gone to the extent you've have (or at least shared it here). The only thing Im wondering about with the underbody stuff is the trans and diff temps, have you seen an increase? I noticed a NACA duct style for the diff
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

The aero mods are great, I really like to see this kind of stuff. What difference did the flat bottom underbody make? ...better top end, more stable? Do you have any pictures of how the bottom plates are mounted?
                  First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    This is an amazing thread. Funny Ive been reading about aero underbody stuff and nobody has gone to the extent you've have (or at least shared it here). The only thing Im wondering about with the underbody stuff is the trans and diff temps, have you seen an increase? I noticed a NACA duct style for the diff

I do think the diff temps are getting higher than I would like. I will be installing a diff cooler during the off-season this year. I haven't had any issues with the trans. I have been keeping an eye on the fluids, and it seems like the trans fluid is doing okay and the diff has to be changed more frequently with the lower amount of airflow.

Comment

Originally posted by z28 View Post
                      The aero mods are great, I really like to see this kind of stuff. What difference did the flat bottom underbody make? ...better top end, more stable? Do you have any pictures of how the bottom plates are mounted?
                      I noticed the difference in the way the car felt in the very first lap after installing the flat bottom. The aero load from the wing and splitter definitely increased, and the car feels less "floaty". Sometimes inconsistent track surfaces at speeds north of say 90 mph would cause the car to bob a little. It stays flat now.

The next time I have the under tray off I'll snap some pics of the mounts for you guys. It's really just simple 1" flat strap bent into an L shape. The bottom has a nutsert to allow the under tray to be bolted up, and the other end is a single 1/4-20 nut and bolt through the pinch weld at the bottom of the rocker. I basically created mounting points that clear all of the mess under there, and they attach at the same points as the side skirts.

Comment

Amazing build! That cage is artful. Love the TIG job. Rarely seen on a cage. I need to fly you up here to redo the cage in my Alfa Spider race car.

I'd also really like to see this beast passing large numbers of cars in WTW racing. Those hill climbs are way dicier than racing WTW on a track.

Keep up the good work.
                        '91 325i

Comment

What does this thing weigh now?
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by RoccoB517 View Post
                            What rear bumper is that? I saw you said something about a custom body kit, but I was hoping that rear was based on a e46 bumper or something.
                            Paynemw
                            1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
                            the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
                            1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Originally posted by paynemw View Post
                              What rear bumper is that? I saw you said something about a custom body kit, but I was hoping that rear was based on a e46 bumper or something.
                              Thats a stock bumper and a stock late model rear valence cut for the aero
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Rocco, your stuff is inspiring! My buddy and I drool over your builds and recently started a heated discussion in our E30 group chat about one of the air ducts. Until you informed us that it cools the diff. Did you start Level Motorsports with this car? What experience did you have previously?
                                Eve- 86' Black E325 Sedan
                                Mjolnir- 87' White 325 Sedan
                                Rusty- 85' White 325 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                                X