#BecauseRaceCar Story and Build - M60 6-spd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ian e30 318is View Post
    Hmmm sputtering sounds like a possible fuel pump?? Maybe try tapping on the top of the pump with a screwdriver when you hear it start to die. If it kicks back to life, there is your culprit. Any check engine light? With no light, I would find it hard to believe it's the DME, MAF, O2 sensor, etc., but I could be wrong. (Fault codes here: http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/i...ic_Fault_Codes) Good luck finding the issue. I hate the gremlins...I've been there man and I feel your pain.

Side topic: I am local so we should definitely meet up sometime. You ever attend any local meets?
    I dont think its the fuel pump.. its getting fuel, it back fires like crazy.. unless fuel injector timing is off?

no check engine light - 1987

no i havent been to any of the meets yet, was gonna reveal the car when it was done.. lol
    sigpic
    The "Because Race Car" M60 V8 Build Thread
    On Instagram Straight Flexin' #BecauseRaceCar

Comment

Videos:

Session 2 -

https://youtu.be/kSRYMTR3ygw

Session 3 -

https://youtu.be/Xh4yWowEpgg

Last edited by ncrmtrsprtsE30; 05-26-2015, 02:12 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Doesn't sound like too big of an issue. Check cap and rotor, crank sensor, coil. I didn't watch the video, just going off of your description

Oh and the aero on that miata is a bit ridiculous and I seriously doubt it's doing much. I would be willing to bet it is slower than most spec miata's even with all of that
        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
          Doesn't sound like too big of an issue. Check cap and rotor, crank sensor, coil. I didn't watch the video, just going off of your description

Oh and the aero on that miata is a bit ridiculous and I seriously doubt it's doing much. I would be willing to bet it is slower than most spec miata's even with all of that
          This morning I try to start it, it fires up right away and after about 5 seconds its dies.. does this about 3 times.. now it wont start at all, and i have a very strong odor of fuel..

Tried my spare ECU = nothing
          Got a new coil = nothing

now its getting no spark at all from the coil.. im about to pull this motor.. lol

we will find out about the miata aero next month
          sigpic

Comment

That sounds like fuel then. I don't know about early cars but is there any wiring you need to do when eliminating the dual pumps?

Do some diagnosing before you go and pull the motor, seat time will make you a hell of a lot faster than a motor swap/turbo/20lbs of aluminum riveted to the back of your car at this point. I've made this mistake in the past and still regret it. The setup you have now should be pretty solid.

I would recommend getting some camber plates, and some adjustment in the rear if you don't already have it. Also, with the weight reduction, be careful pulling all that weight off the back of the car, you kind of need it back there. Have you scaled and corner balanced the car yet?

That Miata is just a huge facepalm
            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

That sounds like fuel then. I don't know about early cars but is there any wiring you need to do when eliminating the dual pumps?

Do some diagnosing before you go and pull the motor, seat time will make you a hell of a lot faster than a motor swap/turbo/20lbs of aluminum riveted to the back of your car at this point. I've made this mistake in the past and still regret it. The setup you have now should be pretty solid.

I would recommend getting some camber plates, and some adjustment in the rear if you don't already have it. Also, with the weight reduction, be careful pulling all that weight off the back of the car, you kind of need it back there. Have you scaled and corner balanced the car yet?

That Miata is just a huge facepalm
              No I have already run the pump for a full track day with no problem.. and how is it fuel when I can smell fuel in the exhaust when cranking.. pulled the plugs and they are soaked in fuel.. i have no spark at all though..

the motor i have now is very tired, i can feel it, and its a 2.7L, so not a lot of revs and not a lot of power..

I am waiting on the suspension after I get my engine situation dialed in.. I was already planning to swap, but just not this early, i was hoping to finish the season..
              sigpic

Comment

Check the crank sensor then. There is a great post somewhere by jlevie for troubleshooting no starts

- '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Wow!!! Great build and great tittle! Hope you get it fixed soon!
                  My Garage
                  2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                  1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                  1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                  Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Check the crank sensor then. There is a great post somewhere by jlevie for troubleshooting no starts

http://spece30.com/forum/41-electric...-stumped#53139
                    +1 to checking the crank sensor. What you had happen to you sounds a lot like what happened to my E36 when my crank sensor started going. Replaced the crank sensor and all was well again.

Bentley should have the specs in it so you can test your existing sensor with a voltmeter to see if that's the culprit.

Sorry to hear the car is giving you trouble, but much better it's an electrical gremlin like this than the car is totally dead.

Comment

You getting power to the coil? Is there a ignition relay?

Comment

http://spece30.com/forum/41-electric...-stumped#53139
                        Yeah that could possibly be the problem there.. It could be super glitchy and going out.. but it still doesnt make sense that it can idle fine when i was at the track, but sputter sometimes..

Originally posted by kts View Post
                        +1 to checking the crank sensor. What you had happen to you sounds a lot like what happened to my E36 when my crank sensor started going. Replaced the crank sensor and all was well again.

Bentley should have the specs in it so you can test your existing sensor with a voltmeter to see if that's the culprit.

Sorry to hear the car is giving you trouble, but much better it's an electrical gremlin like this than the car is totally dead.
                        I have an extra crank sensor too.. because before when it wasnt starting I thought it was that, but checked it with a voltmeter and it was all good (it happened to be a spliced wire that was on an aftermarket alarm system)

Originally posted by FubarE28 View Post
                        You getting power to the coil? Is there a ignition relay?
                        I checked the resistance of the primary on the coil and it was a dead zero resistance.... and the secondary was 5,750 ohms.. i think the primary coil is gone..

Does someone want to come fix it? lol
                        Last edited by ncrmtrsprtsE30; 05-26-2015, 09:03 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

What was the problem with the bassett wheels?
                          I noted them a while back as a potential option for track/autox wheels. Seeing your comment makes me wonder if there is a reason I should take them off the list.
                          '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                          Shadetree30

Comment

I'm digging this build honestly
                            It makes me want to build myself a track car out of my eta

and I'm subbed for this progress.
                            89' 325i DD/project
                            86 325e rust bucket/future race car

"Just because you go fast in a straight line doesn't mean you go fast in corners"

Comment

Can you post links to the spoiler and VGs?

I hope to see this thing one day in person.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                                What was the problem with the bassett wheels?
                                I noted them a while back as a potential option for track/autox wheels. Seeing your comment makes me wonder if there is a reason I should take them off the list.
                                for one they are lug centric ONLY wheels.. so all the strain goes on the lug studs/bolts.. they actually ending up damaging my studs on the front..
                                also finding a shop to balance them is a pain..
                                they are fucking heavy, the wheel alone weighs more than my wheel/tire setup now..
                                but they are cheap..
                                BUT you can also find cheap wheel knock-offs that dont weigh a ton and are decent.. I got my Miro wheels for $260 for all 4, in a 15x8 that only weigh 13lbs each.. compared to the bassett 15x7 weighing in at whopping ~25lbs

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                Can you post links to the spoiler and VGs?

I hope to see this thing one day in person.
                                The ducktail spoiler is actually for a S13 240sx coupe from fleebay, I wasnt sure it was going to fit the trunk so i got the cheapest one i could find.. and it ended up fitting the e30 trunk line perfectly with a small amount of filing and trimming the extra piece in the back.. :up: LINK TO SPOILER

VGs are also from fleebay.. but the delta wing shaped VGs are better than bump shaped.. LINK TO VG
                                Last edited by ncrmtrsprtsE30; 05-27-2015, 10:51 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X