Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 speed conversion DIY thread, when!!!!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 speed conversion DIY thread, when!!!!?

When I first came onto R3v, I would have never tried to change anything myself. However, since then I have somehow been broke and with all the good info and support, I've done quite a bit. I'm wondering why no one has added an official 5 speed conversion DIY yet though. I'm broke, it's hard as fuck to get a hold of Teaguer and with all the resources I have at my disposal, it's ridiculous for me to not try on my own. Alot of you have already. I'm not all that technical but with directions at my hands, I've found things to be pretty straight forward.

Pictures, of course, would be nice....

There is an unofficial DIY, but the pics are gone. There are other writeups floating around as well.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Yeah, I've seen that but figured I would check if there was anything else out there. I will be removing everything I need from an 89 I bought then transferring it into my auto 90. I need something as straight forward as possible cause my time and tools at my disposal will be limited.

Comment

Do you need a parts list or how-to guide? It's all unbolt the old, bolt in the new, so if you have the parts it's self explanatory. Have you ever done a clutch job? That's the hardest part.

Bolt on the new clutch, transmission, drive shaft.

Clip the nipple on the brake reservoir, run your new hoses. There is already clips int he body to hold the hoses. Look at realoem.com to see all the parts you need, under the clutch hydraulics section.

For the wiring, I can't recall colors. I bypassed the relay under the dash (again, i forget which one it is). Someone else will have to chime in. THe reverse wiring is the same as with the auto, but you just run those two wires down to the reverse light switch on the trans.

Pedal box is bolt in. So is the shifter assembly.

That's it.

You can pm or email me anytime, I will help as best as I can.
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Marvin posted a website with some of the pics:
          Webs.com has been shut down on the 31st of August 2023. Find out what that means for your site and how to move it to another provider.

Comment

The hardest part is swapping out the pedals and that's only because they're in such a weird position to work on them. Otherwise it's pretty straight forward.

I remember the first time I did a 5 speed swap. The only other car work I had done previous to that was changing belts, hoses, and my own fluids.

Comment

cool, thanks. I will get started as soon as I can and follow up with you guys....

What parts should I go ahead and buy new?

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
              I remember the first time I did a 5 speed swap. The only other car work I had done previous to that was changing belts, hoses, and my own fluids.
              ballsy.... that motivates me though as I have done just a little more than that at this point. Thanks

Comment

Hmm, I think removing the trans is gonna be a lot harder than doing the pedal box swap.

Since he has a 1990, he's going to hopefully use an airbag pedal set,
                which only requires bolting in an additional pedal. There is no metal tab for the clutch return spring on the airbag pedal boxes. So, you don't need to change the box. Which, as you mentioned, can suck.

Comment

make sure you have alot of extensions with swivels, impact guns help take the bolts out quick, but break them loose by wrench and only use it to take them out.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                  PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Whats parts to buy new? What do you want to spend? When I did mine, i didn't have a parts car - I had a trans, pedal box, and driveshaft. Everything else was new - I bent my own clutch line, new cylinders, ALL new hardware, seals, gaskets, clips, switches, clutch parts, shifter parts, everything. I spent almost $2000 I think. But, the drivetrain after the engine was like new. If I were you, since you have a parts car, pull everything off, inspect it, and buy whatever doesn't suit your expectations to be on your car for the next 50,000 miles. Hopefully everything will last that long before you have to pull the trans for some reason (unlike me).
                    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                    e30 restoration and V8 swap
                    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

There is a DIY thread on the Tech site. Just fair warning- it was posted by Dropped325i.

No I havent read it, but you did ask for a 5-speed swap thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X