Motor Issues - Smoke from valve cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor Issues - Smoke from valve cover

Yesterday I was driving my car and was dropping a friend off before heading home myself. As we pulled into his apartment complex i noticed a new sound from my car, a "ching" noise. Just thinking something may be loose i kept going and stopped to drop my friend off. As the car came to a stop, the motor turned off. Weird. I turned off the ignition and back on, the car was hesitant to start but did. Then i noticed smoke. I popped my hood and saw smoke coming from around the valve cover/exhaust header area. I opened up the oil filler cap and smoke comes pluming out. I checked oil, not milky. Temp gauge is showing normal. The oil pressure light comes on at idle now, but as soon as i get it throttle, it goes away. I looked around for a minute but i didn't see a root cause. I live 4 miles away so i decided to drive her home so that way i can investigate in my garage.

On the way home she started to lose power. It was slow and gradual. Eventually i let off the throttle to make a turn and the motor shut off. I tried to restart but the motor sounded very sluggish and would not start. Almost like a dead battery, but a little different. Again this time i checked the oil, fine. Temp gauge is fine. I open the oil fill cap, more smoke. I decide to call a friend to come get me. 10 min goes by when they arrive. I decide to try the motor one more time, she seems to spin better now and fires up (still reluctantly though). I was able to limp her the rest of the way home.

This is a new one for me. Not sure what to look for. I checked plugs and all were fine. I started to check compression, and i got the first 3 cylinders done when the O ring for the adapted broke. Those 3 cylinders came out fine though.

Thoughts?

1987 BMW 325ic - Emma

How much oil do you have in your car?
    AWD > RWD

Comment

its full on the dipstick

1987 BMW 325ic - Emma

Comment

Take out the oil pressure sensor, put a gauge on it, crank it and see if you have any oil pressure....

Sounds like what happened to me when my bearings went. At a minimum, pull the valve cover and see if anything looks broken
        1997 Artic Silver M3
        CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

I don't own an oil pressure tester. Is an oil pressure gauge specific? Can i rent one or is one of those things I'm stuck buying?

1987 BMW 325ic - Emma

Comment

I think you might of lost compression in one of the cylinders you didn't get a chance to check.
            Not sure about the noise though - I didn't have any funny noises when I lost compression in a cylinder and a half long time ago, just muffler tone.
            Rent another compression check tool from an autoparts store and go from there.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I hate to be negative, but it sounds like it's seizing...

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Here is my theory... I think my motor became oil starved and as it heated up, the motor seized. However once it cooled back down, the pistons can move freely again. I jut drove her around the block a few times and she runs fine when cold. Its not until she warms up that the oil light comes on, and even then only at idle. I think either a clogged oil filter or bad oil pump.

No one locally has an oil pressure gauge for sale. I have a fuel pressure gauge, can is use that?

Where is the hookup to check the oil pressure? I have never done it before.

1987 BMW 325ic - Emma

Comment

Oil pressure switch near the passenger motor mount on the block.
                  You need an adapter or something to get it hooked on

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

The oil pressure light flickering at idle could be a bad pressure switch, clogged or collapsed filter, worn oil pump, or bad bearings. At idle on a hot engine you should see 10psi or more (the switch trips at 7psi). Copious smoke from the valve cover filler cap could be a plugged oil breather hose. In which case you'd see the smoke from the exhaust.

Your description of the way the engine is behaving has me thinking that something serious has gone wrong inside the engine. A pro might be able to give you a diagnosis, but I suspect a full tear down, inspection, and rebuild, or a replacement engine is going to be the solution.

Sorry...
                    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
                    X