Water in Trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water in Trunk

I have had problems with water getting into the trunk when it rains.

I changed the taillight gaskets and I think this really helped but not completely solved the problem; I'm still seeing a little bit of water collecting on top of the battery plastic cover. Photo below.

What should be the next thing to try? replace the trunk lid gasket? tighten the trunk locking wire?

I have noticed many people suggesting to look at the drains coming from the sunroof, however my sunroof is currently broken and I need to fix it before I can easily open it and close it. I also don't have compressed air to clear the drains (any other suggestions on this front?)
    Attached Files

There are a few threads on water intrusion around. Specifically the trunk, and on top of the batter box, I would pull the trunk gasket off, clean and carefully inspect the lip and surrounding area for rust / pin holes. Replace the gasket, use a piece of wax paper, close the trunk on it in several places to see if the trunk is sealing properly.

Someone mentioned in another post the C pillar exterior trim pieces have a rubber seal where they attach. And of course the rear window gasket or rust under that gasket.

Then there is the dreaded, put someone in the trunk with a flashlight and run the hose in several areas. Careful investigation is cheaper than guessing and throwing parts at a problem...I've learned this the hard way!
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Are you parked on a hill where the tail is higher than the front? I know there still may be a real problem somewhere but if you’re parked on a hill try just turning around.
      My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
      I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Trunk seal, tail light seal, c pillar grommets as said above, and do park outside with the trunk lower that the nose whenever possible.

Check under the battery for rust, and make sure your drains are open under the battery so that water will not pool and cause rust if it has not already.

Comment

Is it also wet above the tail light housing?

Had the same problem on my early model. after changing numerous tail light seals/gaskets, turns out the problem was trunk catch hook and lock alignment, where after a heavy rain fall it would flood the trunk due to the lid not pressing enough against the lid gasket.... so if your trunk feels like it has some slack once it's closed, you need to adjust either the trunk or lock mechanism.

The rear sunroof drains, if I remember correctly are attached to the plastic side inserts in side pockets and it drains out behind the rear bumper. But they're much lover than the battery tray, so I'd rule that out.

Comment

Working...
          X