No announcement yet.

Putting Together A Weekend Racer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump for more input, brands for each item listed, preferences, etc. etc. etc.

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
    Originally posted by DTM190
    "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Here's a pretty interesting video, everything you need to start with for a fun weekend track car.

Watch the video that accompanies the story in the April 2011 issue of eurotuner magazine. We took a $2300 1992 BMW 325is and added a series of performance pa...

G.Verelli

Comment

I saw that a while ago and it's pretty sweet. Touches on the major things like coilovers, brake upgrades, exhaust, ecu, etc. Good addition!

"fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop View Post
          I saw that a while ago and it's pretty sweet. Touches on the major things like coilovers, brake upgrades, exhaust, ecu, etc. Good addition!

Ya its a good video, its more for beginners who want to start off though, they don't get into fine tuning or anything but its still worth taking a look at.

G.Verelli

Comment

Also, good things to check:

- Guibo
            - CSB
            - Upper Strut Mounts
            The Red Dragon V.5 1991 318iS / 2013 F800GT

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"

Comment

Thanks Spiff, I'm going to put together some research today and hopefully edit the first post. Your guys' feedback would be appreciated on which brands for which parts, etc. etc. etc...

Comment

track day car..

I didnt really read your initial list thru and thru and thru.........but it looks comprehensive overall for sure. The guide to make a car up to snuff and fresh has been posted and reposted a gazillion times....

Just to play devils advocate.......Im not so convinced the best way to build a car is to conform to any specific class. Its def. good if you want to sell her down the road, but other than that.... I say build her to your vision( and be sure will not need to fit into any class, ever..lol)

I have a track day e 30 for over 5 yrs.......I built her and picked parts w/ really only a few visions in mind...and that was to have fun, be reliable, and be comfortable at the limit. After 5 yrs w/ the m20 she just recd an s 50......after 5 yrs w/ HR race, she now will get COs......etc etc

My s 50 changes my class w/ EMRA, but who cares?...not me.

I used SpecE30 as a guide but did not follow it 100%......ie, I did koni SAs by GC and not Billies....225/50 and not 205. Most spec series are developed to allow affordable wheel to wheel racing...and where the team w/ the deepest checkbook wont necessarily win. So why stick to that guide?...

I did a 2.5 inch xhaust to save wt and add noise......

I just wanted to add parts as I got faster........I kind of wanted the car to end up being my vision of a track warrior...and also constantly evolving w/ me as a driver.

And even w/ all the mods..its still very livable on the street.....

IMO ..SAE30 has built a hi level true track warrior...I assume its still streetable too.

..here is my girl.....a few yrs ago....

Last edited by JRKOUPE; 03-21-2011, 02:14 PM.
                I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Yeah, I'm having the same thoughts / feelings building this car. I don't care to do any actual racing in it, just some time trials, track days, lapping days, etc. etc.

Comment

Bump. Made significant changes to the original thread. Added suggestions, preferences, links, etc. Take another look guys, add your comments and suggestions. It's all welcome. Just trying to post as much info as possible. I'm thinking I'll also make a "Things / Extras to bring to the track" section.

Comment

Looks good!
                      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Reserved for more information #1

Comment

Reserved for more information #2

Comment

Should probably be recommending a 5pt harness and connected only to a roll bar or roll cage as harness bars aren't safe. just a thought
                            sigpic

Comment

I left that section kind of vague because I haven't really done any research since updating the first post. I was assuming, and I figured most people who'd be reading this thread, let alone building a car up would know the ideal harness and bar configuration. School's kicking my ass right now, but if I find another slow point (doubtful with finals coming up) I'll make another big post / edit. It might have to wait till after finals though.

Comment

For wheelbearings / hubs:
                                Fronts: You only need the hubs, the hub comes with the wheel bearing installed.
                                Rears: You only need the wheel bearings, no need to replace the hub in the back.

So you need 2 hubs, fronts only; and 2 wheel bearings, rears only.

Power steering fluid: This isn't even supposed to be flushable. If anything you just need to top yours off, and I doubt that brand is going to matter at all. A lot of people just remove power steering.

Some of your stuff is pretty debatable so you might want to note that there are a lot of options. For sway bars, I am super happy with UUC Sway Barbarians, the kit is very high quality. For bushings there are lots of different providers depending on how much you are willing to spend. I went with Powerflex because they seem to be rated as the best for subframe/trailing arm - but my point is simply that there are (obviously) a lot of choices for the performance upgrade parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X