Binding Noise When Braking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Binding Noise When Braking

The other day I started hearing a binding noise when I hit the brakes. After some quick exparimentation I found that the noise happens with normal braking pressure when I have the clutch depressed, but when I leave the clutch released it takes somewhere in between a firm and a hard press of the brakes to cause the noise. If I try hard to only use light brake pressure and leave the clutch released while braking then I can drive the car normally without causing the noise.

When the noise does happen it seems to be coming from the right hand side of the car more towards the rear. I have jacked up the car and looked at the rotors, calipers and everything underneath and it all seems normal. I don't have any loose calipers or bolts anywhere that I can find. Anybody have any idea what I'm dealing with?
    sigpic

What pads are on the car and how much pad material is left? It almost sounds like you have a pad that is down to the metal.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

No, It's not that kind of a sound and I have Hawk HPS pads that have plenty of pad left. I guess binding isn't quite the right word, it's almost like a realy fast repeated thumping, like 5 or 6 times a second, kind of a plastic like binding sound, but I have checked all my fender liners and they are all secure.
      sigpic

Comment

Check the half shafts for wear.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I took a look at those when I was under the car, but they looked fine. I'll take another look at them tonight, are there any specific tests that I can do to see if they are worn in places I can't see?
          Last edited by YosemiteSam; 09-17-2012, 05:12 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Had a similar issue recently accompanied with occasional squealing. Turned out one of the caliper pin sleeves/guides was deformed & wouldn't let the pin slide through properly. I ended up upgrading to metal sleeves/guides. Worth checking...

Comment

Working...
            X