Darker OEM Tail Light Turn Signal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darker OEM Tail Light Turn Signal

The other day I realized that the turn signal in my driver's side tail light was noticeably darker than my passenger side. I have since made a trip to pick n pull to pick up a match to my passenger side just so it doesn't look weird, but I actually prefer the darker turn.
    I believe that I pulled the darker one off a car at pick n pull when I first got my car to replace a cracked tail light, but after closer examination it doesn't appear to be smoked or aftermarket. The part number on it matches the standard light colored one and I cannot find any info on any OEM darker turn signal tail lights, so I am wondering how this one ended up darker. Were there specific years that got darker turn signals or is this one just some sort of abnormality?

Pictures for reference:

Last edited by YosemiteSam; 11-15-2013, 04:11 PM.
    sigpic

Could it have burned some from a previous bulb burning out?
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
      Could it have burned some from a previous bulb burning out?
      I doubt it, the color is consistent over the whole section of the lens, no dark spots or light spots.
      sigpic

Comment

Just had a thought, did the Euro tail lights have darker blinkers than the US ones?
        sigpic

Comment

I see that a lot with early models, makes it difficult to get a matching set
          Bronzit 4-door Swap Drifting somewhere
          Cammed B25 Swap Daily Driver
          Updated 10/1

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
          Maybe 300 CANADIAN HP, thats like 225 US HP.

Comment

Pictures added to the first post.
            sigpic

Comment

Turn signal goes over to the dark side ?

Originally posted by YosemiteSam View Post
              Just had a thought, did the Euro tail lights have darker blinkers than the US ones?
              My guess, it was just because a different batch of lens material was a different color -- probably still within spec. Don't think the Euro lens was a different color, in fact it's likely identical other than the 'blanking cover' present in the (in US trim) unused rear fog light sections under the reverse lights. In Euro cars, that smaller red lens has a bulb behind it, turning on from the front fog light witch.

What you are seeing is two lenses at the far ends of the 'color tolerance' band, more than likely.

With your hazards flashing both sides at the same time, do they appear to be different brightnesses "in use?" if so, you might consider a brighter lamp in the darker side. At least that way it might look the same brightness from a distance. I have these, 1/3 brighter than stock, $5 each. They are 45 cp versus stock 32. Won't solve the different daytime appearance, of course...

I think only another lens will help that, happy hunting!
              Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
              Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
              Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
              Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

It looks to me like someone applied a light red tint to get them to match the red.

Dustin Wark | Instagram tumblrFlickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mo Brighta View Post
                  My guess, it was just because a different batch of lens material was a different color -- probably still within spec. Don't think the Euro lens was a different color, in fact it's likely identical other than the 'blanking cover' present in the (in US trim) unused rear fog light sections under the reverse lights. In Euro cars, that smaller red lens has a bulb behind it, turning on from the front fog light witch.

What you are seeing is two lenses at the far ends of the 'color tolerance' band, more than likely.

With your hazards flashing both sides at the same time, do they appear to be different brightnesses "in use?" if so, you might consider a brighter lamp in the darker side. At least that way it might look the same brightness from a distance. I have these, 1/3 brighter than stock, $5 each. They are 45 cp versus stock 32. Won't solve the different daytime appearance, of course...

I think only another lens will help that, happy hunting!
                  Yeah, I'll just have to keep looking every time I hit the junk yard.

Originally posted by audiwark View Post
                  It looks to me like someone applied a light red tint to get them to match the red.
                  I thought of that, but if you look closely at the lettering (I couldn't get a good picture of it) on the surface of the turn signal and the red area there is no evidence of any paint on the light.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ive noticed that my previous 91 had the darker tails and my 89 has the lighter ones... Could be 2 different suppliers for the 2 different years

Comment

Working...
                    X