Drive 4 Corners meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive 4 Corners meet

Who all is attending this year? We are sponsoring this event and I will be out myself for most, if not all of the event.

Looking forward to seeing everyone, and we will be raffling off prizes, so make sure to sign up and come out!

I will be there.

Comment

Video highlights shows lots of purty pictures of Colo mountains.....where is the desert 4 corners part?

Looks fun, my brother lives near Durango....but that's far from here.

Comment

Mountains > desert ;)

I'm not an organizer so the locations were chosen by others than myself; I assume as a central location

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
          Video highlights shows lots of purty pictures of Colo mountains.....where is the desert 4 corners part?

Looks fun, my brother lives near Durango....but that's far from here.
          Unfortunately the 4 Corners Monument is pretty barren. There is no town there, nor much of anything to do besides stop at the physical monument for about an hour. It is on an indian reservation

The biggest hurdle with putting on an event like this is the physical space to gather as well as organizing a hotel large enough for group lodging. The town has to be big enough that they are willing to accommodate 60+ rooms. Plus who wants to sit out in the desert for a weekend getaway in the middle of August??

In the past, Pagosa Spings, CO has been a great location for us as it allows participants to participate from Denver area, Albuquerque, and Arizona, and is close to great driving roads. This year, the location is about 2 hours from the 4 Corners Monument if people do want to see it, they can certainly visit it on our Saturday drive... However, I'd highly recommend exploring Silverton or the surrounding ghost towns instead. For people who love driving their cars and exploring new areas, this route US-550 is a good one.

There also aren't many major cities around the area of the 4 corners monument, so it simply has made sense to locate in a place that is more of a destination than anything, hence mountain locations.

We have talked about Flagstaff, AZ but nothing has materialized just yet, mainly due to the lack of AZ participation (And the high demand for rooms there in August).
          Last edited by tschultz; 07-22-2017, 05:52 AM.
          http://www.Drive4Corners.com

Comment

Originally posted by tschultz View Post
            Unfortunately the 4 Corners Monument is pretty barren.
            Ya think?

But you can stand in 4 states all at the same time. So there's that.

I vote Colo and mountain drives - I grew up there. We need a drive that heads up into Alberta and BC! Have fun! Post pics!

Click image for larger version

Name:	4corner.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	7192454

Comment

I went to the 4 corners monument a couple years back while at the meet. Cool to say I've been, but not worth planning an event around or even a drive to it.

Comment

Shame its that weekend, I might be driving the Aluminum Monster up that way to SLC on 8/19
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I registered for it... not sure if I'll be able to make it :\

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                  Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

ill be there, just got the time off work.
                    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Have been to D4C three times myself.

The first year had a great AZ turnout, but the other two years were not as magnificent for AZ participants.

I won't be making it this year, but I'll be out next year after I pick up another BMW.

Have fun!

P.S. if you need anyone on the ground in Flagstaff to try and secure a hotel I'd be more than happy to help. Much bigger town (relative to Pagosa), and with Payson/Sedona/Jerome/Prescott nearby, there are plenty of incredible roads to enjoy.
                      My previous build (currently E30-less)
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Are there many nice driving spots out that way? I haven't been to AZ since I was...... very young

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                          P.S. if you need anyone on the ground in Flagstaff to try and secure a hotel I'd be more than happy to help. Much bigger town (relative to Pagosa), and with Payson/Sedona/Jerome/Prescott nearby, there are plenty of incredible roads to enjoy.
                          Sure, if you want to do a bit of looking around. From my last online search the room rates appeared to be cost prohibitive. We have aimed for $100 a night or less. Let me know if you find something in this range that has 65+ rooms.

Comment

Squidmaster, there are lots of excellent driving roads within a reasonable distance up here in the mountains/surrounding areas.

tschultz, I'll look/ask around based on your stipulations. I'll let you know what I find, if I can find anything.
                            My previous build (currently E30-less)
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

The start of Drive 4 Corners 2017 is only one month away and that means that final event preparations are coming together. We hope you are finishing any last minute repair work on your BMW so that it can be ready for the trek to Purgatory, CO. We can't wait for you to join us this year along US 550, also known as the Million Dollar Highway. It will be a great break from the heat of summer and will hopefully be a time to meet both old and new friends, as well as sharing the passion of our BMW ownership.

Group caravan information will be shared in the upcoming weeks if you are interested in driving down to the Resort in a group on Friday, August 25th. It seems we will have Dallas, Denver, Colorado Springs, Gilbert, and Albuquerque caravans.

If you haven't seen already, the weekend event schedule has been posted. Take a look at our most recent website post to review this schedule as well as the activities offered on the property of Purgatory Resort. The hotel is getting prepared for our event and is willing to accommodate a car wash station as you all have come to expect.

Additionally, don't forget to reserve your lodging if you haven't already! The facility will fill up as we approach August, and you best chance for lower rates may be diminished. As an added perk, most of the lodging has some sort of covered parking or garage option, so you can feel like your car will remain protected and secure when you are not using it.

Compared to years past, our Saturday event will be slightly different from what you may have been used to. US-550 is not conducive to a spirited group drive since there are sharp drop offs single lanes either direction and limited passing zones. So we will be doing a group gathering and photo location Saturday morning prior to a day of individual excursion. There are plenty of sites along the Driving Tour route that will be distributed, but for those who want something else, there are plenty of other activities to enjoy. The Resort has Alpine Slide, Zip Line, Ropes Course, Mini-golf, mountain biking, and Frisbee golf from 10:00-6:00pm every day.

Additionally Durango and the surrounding area has hiking trails, and outdoor activities like horseback riding, ATV's, paddle boating, and other activities if you decide to find a separate activity.

We hope you are excited for the event this year and can't wait for you to Drive 4 Corners with us!

Comment

Working...
                              X