Headliner removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headliner removal

I’ve searched around but haven’t found a definitive diy. I need to replace my headliner and was wondering if anyone could share tips or tricks for this job. I’ve read that it’s fairly easy but any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

On a slicktop once you remove the A/B/C pillar obstructions and weatherstripping there are some slide lock clips that require you to pull the liner rearwards while keeping the angle very flat relative to the roof.

When you reinstall be sure to cut out the right holes for fasteners and mounts. Mark them in advance. An oscillating multitool or DA sander work well for old foam removal.

Both removal and reinstall are best with a helper to manage one side of the headliner.

Comment

If your just trying to get it out. I’ve always removed the a/b pillar covers and then just gone ape shit and started cutting and ripping it out until its all out. Your going to have to pull your windows out to replace it and the visor panel

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Windows do not need to be removed on tourings for headliner removal. The overhead panel does of course.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
          Windows do not need to be removed on tourings for headliner removal. The overhead panel does of course.

On my cars atleast the headliner was glued to the outer part of the window openings where the window gaskets sit so to replace it and glue it down in right spot the gasket has the come out. This is what i noticed on my 84 and 89

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

There was a great DIY for this, discussed in one of the earlier threads when this Touring section was created. The DIY is on a UK-based forum called e30owners.com. The pictures got screwed by the photo sharing site that shall not be named, but I was able to download the full DIY (with pictures) using one of the Firefox patches. PM me if you would like a copy of it via e-mail.

Per the DIY, windows do not need to come out.

Cory

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            1992 325i Cabrio
            1988 320i Touring
            2000 M5
            1977 530i
            2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
            BMWCCA
            E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
              On my cars atleast the headliner was glued to the outer part of the window openings where the window gaskets sit so to replace it and glue it down in right spot the gasket has the come out. This is what i noticed on my 84 and 89

Touring headliners are completely different than on other E30s.

Cory

1992 325i Cabrio
              1988 320i Touring
              2000 M5
              1977 530i
              BMWCCA
              E30CCA

Comment

It says removing front windshield would make it easier. Does that apply to tourings or just all e30s in general?

Comment

Originally posted by rikaro View Post
                  http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/i...ing_Headlining

It says removing front windshield would make it easier. Does that apply to tourings or just all e30s in general?

That DIY is for sedans and coupes. Some crossover, like removing sunroof, but the Touring headliner is completely different. It is a rigid board, like newer BMWs.

Cory

1992 325i Cabrio
                  1988 320i Touring
                  2000 M5
                  1977 530i
                  BMWCCA
                  E30CCA

Comment

Front windshield stays in place, interior trim is all that needs to be moved aside/removed.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

Front windshield stays in place, interior trim is all that needs to be moved aside/removed.
                      nice! thank you for the info and pics. I'm sure a lot of us touring owners will need it haha

Comment

Since we're onto the topic of headliners, where do you guys get your replacement material? I'm looking at some perforated light beige/creme to replace my current one. I'm also thinking about black but I kinda want your opinions thanks!

Comment

I think I got mine from yourautotrim.com, but don't recall with certainty.

A color change can be cool, or even a texture change. For example:

Comment

i was thinking of something like this. Did they ever made perforated headliner for e30s?

Comment

Originally posted by rikaro View Post
                              i was thinking of something like this. Did they ever made perforated headliner for e30s?

https://www.yourautotrim.com/aupehe1.html
                              I don't think they came stock on E30s or later (they did come on E28s & earlier IIRC), but I have seen them done. The look is fine, the question is if a vinyl topped foam will contour to the touring headliner backing without pinching.

Comment

Working...
                              X