Oil gushing from the M42 oil filter housing o-ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil gushing from the M42 oil filter housing o-ring

I have 1991 318is. The engine continues to have a major oil leak behind my oil filter housing after twice replacing the housing gasket and o-ring recently. I’m seeing a stream of oil running down from behind the housing and then spreading out onto the oil pan and ground shortly after the engine starts running. Prior to my recent OFH gasket installs, the OFH and mating surfaces were super clean, and the new gasket was lightly coated with Permatex Ultra Grey (next time I’ll try the spray). Also the o-ring was lightly lubed, OFH pressed firmly onto timing case, and then the bolts were sequentially torqued to spec in X pattern, etc.

The last time I pulled the OFH off, the housing’s male plug, which the o-ring 11421709513 slides onto, gave me trouble. This plug detached from the housing and stayed stuck in the timing case. I wiggled this plug out of the case and then pressed it back into the OF housing, but the detachment worries me. I think that OFH male plug is messed up and it's not sealing correctly. I need a new strategy before I start my third gasket and o-ring replacement. Suggestions?

I'd say your housing is broken. The plug is an integral part of the housing and if its loose the housing is broke.

Comment

Yeah, the metal plug is not supposed to come out as far as I know. That applies to the M42 OFH anyway. The M44 one is plastic, uses 2 o-rings and is removable. Time for a new OFH. Personally, I like the M44 one better since it does not have a metal cap, so it is less burn'y on the fingers when changing the oil. But, it tends to drip a little more when taking the cap off. You can pick them up used pretty cheaply.

Also, I would avoid any of the RTV stuff on that paper gasket. Even a tiny amount of it will act as a lubricant and let the paper membranes slide around when tightening, making it easy for a leak to form. This is the go-to stuff for most of my paper gasket assembly:

A light coat on each side, let it sit 5-10 minutes and you are good to go.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll aim to pick up a used M44 OFH. Plus the Permatex Spray Tack, gasket, some o-rings, and a new filter. Looks like some folks have trouble finding a good oil-filter wrench for the M44. Have you found some that work good?

Comment

I have one of these and have never had an issue. Just make sure it is fully pushed onto the cap.
          Lisle Oil Filter Wrench 76mm End Cap Style 14 flutes 3/8" drive. Call (310)626-8765. May Qualify For FREE SHIPPING. Parts# TOL LIS 61570 TOL.LIS.61570 TOLLIS61570. 318ti, 318is, 318i.

Maybe they changed the socket or something in the last decade, if people are saying that the cap sockets don't fit?

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Working...
          X