Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

91 318is intermittent tachometer/speedo, possible bad ground?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 318is intermittent tachometer/speedo, possible bad ground?

Hi guys,

I have been having issues with my tachometer and speedometer being intermittent for a while now. Yesterday I took my stereo out to look at some wiring and after re-installing it, the tacho and speedo were back to normal. Today, I turned my car off at harris teeter and when I turned it on again, the stereo was off and had lost power, and my speedo and tachometer were intermittent again. It seems like this happens every time that they stop working. My stereo resets itself or loses power and then for the rest of the drive my tacho and speedo don't work well for a while. I will post a video if anyone wants to see what i'm talking about. Is there some common ground between the stereo and tacho/speedo that could be causing an issue like this? Any help would be appreciated as I'm lost on what to do.

Thanks

I recommend replacing fuse 10, 12 and 21 with new 7.5A fuses. The cluster and radio share fuses so that is most likely your culprit.

Also, since the fuse box is located in the engine bay, it is extra susceptible to copper oxidation. Even a good fuse can be oxidized and present a voltage drop to the cluster or radio and cause this condition. Dont check fuses, replace.

If the problem still continues or not, you will most likely need your cluster refurbished, most E30's and vintage BMW's require cluster restoration in order for the gauges to work properly.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Thanks Greg. I will replace the fuses and see if that helps. My next step was taking out the cluster and reheating all the solder channels. Hope it won’t come to that though!

Comment

Also check the plug at the diff, the wires can also just deteriorate or expand on the actual plug. Happened on one of my cars
        sigpic
        HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
        " enjoy the show "

Comment

The diff speed seonsor wiring issue happened to me as well but that would only explain the speedometer being out of whack and not the tachometer. Right?

Comment

The wires at the diff are in good shape, I've messed with them before. The speedo hops back to life when I give the dash a good wack. Could the tacho problems be the SI batteries?

Comment

Working...
            X