Backfire, Spitting, through Intake. Loss of power. No Check Engine Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backfire, Spitting, through Intake. Loss of power. No Check Engine Light

I have had an issue with my car for about a week and cannot figure it out. Please help.

Car:
    88 325is with s52; M50 manifold; OBDII; Kassel Performance ECU matched to this application

When it occurred:
    Car was running well, however, I was not running the car for about a week since I was making an e-fan setup. I got the fans set up, ran the car for a test drive, 15 mins, all good; power and response, everything. Next day, removed the A/C pulley (to gain more space for the fans), filled up in gas (91 octane), tested it again in the night to gain confidence for taking the car to work the next morning. Next morning, I heard a scratchy sound, so I sprayed carb cleaner around the A/C pulley (and serpentine belt area) thinking it was surface rust when the serp belt was moving. Ended up being the power steering pulley, it was loose, tightened the bolts, and the engine was sounding, smooth, quiet, and nice.

Drove the car for 12 blocks, max 35-40 MPH, not pushing it at all, and BAM! Car instantly cut in power like Hulk grabbed my rear bumper while driving. It happened after going over train tracks and on a rough street road. I pulled over immediately to check under the hood.

Problem and symptoms:
    Car was idling VERY rough. The engine has Condor solid Poly engine mounts and the engine was shaking the chassis. I took the car back home in a crawl. Massive Loss of Power. Car was sputtering and hesitating. Car would backfire or “spit” through the intake. Popping in the manifold. Car seems to be acting this way warm or cold. Seems like misfiring. NO CEL! NO Check ENGINE LIGHT! NO OBDII Codes can be found!!

What I have tried:
    Cleaned MAF
    Cleaned MAF again while also cleaned the K&N Air filter
    Changed the MAF
    Checked for leaks by spraying carb cleaner to listen for revs - NONE found
    Switched around coil packs and unplugged them to listen for changes. - nothing alarming and no changes
    Disconnected Vanos = Same
    Disconnected fuel rail = Same
    Checked spark plugs - seem fine
    Took out intake manifold to better inspect vacuum leaks visually - nothing loose. No Cracks. All hoses are clamped well and new and pliable
    Compression test performed = 180 182 179 181 170 180 ; Good compression; solid
    Took out fuel rail to check fuel injectors - Nothing alarming; just changed the injector on #3
    DISCONNECTED O2 sensors from the exhaust manifold - This is where I noticed a change. The car was stronger, seemed like it was idling better (ignoring the exhaust leak sound), more responsive. Basically like a normal car with O2 sensors hanging out of the manifold.

Next Steps:
    Check fuel pressure through schrader valve
    I could smoke test, but need to google that on how to do it.

Questions:
    What can I do next? I know that these symptoms can happen because of MAF, bad plugs, bad wires, bad crank sensor, cam sensor, fuel filter, fuel pump, FPRegulator, Bad injector(s), bad vanos seals, bad O2 sensor.
    What Should I do next?

I dont want to just throw money at it. I want to properly get to the issue and address. This is a new swap and almost everything is new and the car was running amazingly before this week.

General Discussion is not a catch-all; please do not ask technical questions there. If you don't know where to ask your question, post it in General Technical and we'll move it to the appropriate subforum if necessary. Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Apologies. Got it. So can anyone help?

Comment

Could it be CCV?

Comment

Have you made any progress on this? My m52tu swap stumbles real bad when running along when revs are at or above 2k. I haven’t been able to trouble shoot much but am looking to see what to check. Good luck man.

Cheers,
          Frank
          Cheers!

~Frank

sigpic

Comment

Coilpack acting up is my bet or you have the o2 sensors switched. I had a coilpack work great then fail intermittently causing severe hiccups and lack of burn. Caused a cylinder to go super rich and smoke.

Comment

So I don’t know if you fixed it yet so apologies for being this back from the recently dead. Mine was doing something similar. Fixed it. Now my two O2 sensors were backwards. The next thing for the back foreign into the intake, mine was also doing this, was caused due to pulling WAY too much vacuum. This solved that issue for me. Both of my issues were self inflicted. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Cheers!

~Frank

sigpic

Comment

What caused way to much vacuum? That didn't translate very well.

Comment

From you description above, it sounds like either an oxygen sensor or a vacuum leak. I would start with a quick smoke test in the crankcase and vacuum lines. If all looks good, I would change out the oxygen sensor with a known working one. I've been down this road several times and anytime I had rough idle, backfiring, low on power, etc., it was one of the two items I mentioned.

1991 LS1 Swapped 318is
                  Instagram:
                  https://instagram.com/saltybeast/
                  LS Build Thread:
                  https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...s-e30-ls1-swap

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
                    What caused way to much vacuum? That didn't translate very well.
                    Yeah I deleted the CCV and put in a catch can and plumbed it from the Crank Case Vent to the catch can then to the intake manifold. I was pulling air through the seals apparently which was causing my backfiring into my intake. This is all per the shop I took it to. The plugged the line to the intake and now I’ve got it venting to atmo and it’s fine now. Sorry for the lack of clarity. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Cheers!

~Frank

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X