Misfire that I can't quite seem to figure out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misfire that I can't quite seem to figure out

So to give a little backstory, a few years ago, my car started to miss and then that turned into it running crazy rich, would barely run and couldn't figure out why. It ended up being the DME. So once I found that out, I replaced the DME, chip, and injectors. Awesome, car ran great for awhile. I've been having a misfire for the last year now that I can't quite seem to track down. It's not constant, and it's usually cruising speeds. Lately, it's been getting worse and it's under load, at cruise, and at idle. On cold starts, it usually runs well for a few minutes and then starts to miss again. So this morning, I unplugged the O2 to see if that would do anything. It has made a definite improvement. Not exactly perfect, but much better.

This kind of seems like what happened a couple years ago but definitely not as quick. Is my car just eating computers for some reason? I feel like there has to be some other possibilities. I have plugs/wires/cap/rotor ordered so we'll see if that makes any changes but I was wondering if you guys had any ideas.

Can't really offer any help, but might be going through the same thing as your prior issue on my 2.7i build and hoped I could add on. We scoped the coil when we were diagnosing and noticed it fires off with seemingly every tooth on the crank and definitely smells really rich. Did you ever notice anything with the coil control side of things?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm not sure. All the parts should be in tomorrow so I can let you know then.

But my car is back to running like shit. But I've noticed that it's strictly under load. If I baby the car up to freeway speeds and keep it at a low load, the car runs perfectly fine. But the moment that I start to put any load on the car, it starts to miss like crazy again.

I pulled the plugs and they looked slightly lean albeit still okay. I'm starting to think it may be fuel related now. I'm going to check the fuel filter and see if that looks like it needs to be replaced.

Comment

Get a fuel pressure tester.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I replaced the fuel filter, plugs & wires, coil, and cap and rotor. The rotor looked pretty torched and I'm pretty sure that was the culprit. I replaced the coil before everything else and it helped a bit but didn't totally resolve the issue.

Comment

The DME uses coolant temp and the oxygen sensor for adjusting the fuel injection. If you are having issues that reveal themselves when the engine is hot it could be just these sensors.
            My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
            I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Ok so I replaced everything in my post above and the problem went away for a few weeks. But now it's back to the same way it was. I also checked fuel pressure which tested fine. The odd thing about this miss is that it even misses when the throttle is completely closed and I'm just coasting. I ended up replacing the main relay and that didn't fix anything. I'm not sure what else there is that I can check.

Comment

Sounds like an ignition problem.

Check your CPS
                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Working...
                X