Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interest in a S54 itb on M5x head setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest in a S54 itb on M5x head setup?

I've been toying around with the idea of mating S54 itbs to a M50 (and family) head for some time. I know it's not the easiest thing to do, nor, frankly, the most logical. Having a set of S54 itbs and a dead M50 head, however, I figured why not try? I know it's been done with Jenvey components, but I want to take it a step further.

I'm studying two different approaches, both of which do away entirely with a plenum and intake air tract: my preferred one would involve a short (~55mm) velocity stack, the throttle, then a ~150mm (from throttle plate to head surface) runner close to the original manifold's path down to the head, with the throttle sitting at a 60 degree angle relative to the head. I think this makes the most sense given the original dimensions of the manifold and air intake tract.

The second would involve a traditional manifold plate with the throttles bolted right up, then a curved velocity stack with a port length of about 15cm with a ~60 degree radius towards the driver side of the engine bay (and possibly slightly forward)

I prefer the first approach for three reasons: because of spatial constraints with the morass of hoses and wires under the M50 manifold (putting the itbs there would make the throttle linkage interfere with everything), because shifting the airflow cross-section from the s54 itb port to the wider and shorter M5x port within the thickness of the plate would negatively affect said airflow, and lastly for the admittedly vain notion of appearance.

This setup would involve the use of a six-port vacuum tank to maintain constant vacuum to the booster, and crankcase and valve cover hoses. In addition, it would include a twin-lever adapter to transfer the throttle cable travel from the pedal to the range of motion delivered by the S54's original fly-by-wire actuator.

The last key to the puzzle would be an Alpha-N tune or such eliminating the MAF and idle control, replaced with a throttle position, rpm and intake temp-dependent map, achieved using the S54's TPS and an IAT sensor mounted between two itbs for closest replication of temperature at the throttle plate.

I've drafted a CAD model of the runner/flange setup I have in mind; it's pretty complete, including all mounting positions, six vacuum takeoffs for the tank, and grooves in the M5x end flange for the original M5x intake manifold gaskets. The S54 end flange would use traditional plate gaskets. I plan on reusing the rubber interface between the itbs and my velocity stacks, which I've designed separately and am refining in accordance with my airflow calculations. As you can see in the attached pics, the runners use the full length to morph from the M5x port to the narrower and taller S54 itb port.

My question is as follows: would anyone be interested in such a setup? I obviously still have a lot of testing and refining to do to the design, but if it can be of interest to more than myself, I could adjust it in such a way as to make it more production-friendly. Any feedback relative to the concept or execution is more than welcome as well.

I am getting a 3d printer in the next couple of days and will start printing prototypes to confirm fitment. After that, I will start programming ECU maps as best I can, and install all components with the vacuum tank.
    Last edited by TSI; 03-22-2015, 12:21 PM.

Nobody?

Comment

Definitely, count me in!!!

Comment

Obviously naming an exact price before a prototype is even created is nearly impossible. However, do you have a target total price (sans ITB's) for what it would cost? I am interested, so long as the total cost makes me say "yeah yeah, that seems cool" =P
        www.ChaseBays.com
        Chase Bays Instagram
        Chase McMaster Instagram

Comment

Id say it would be quite pricey, unless he gets a really good price on material/machining/welding.
          .................................................. ...................sigpic
          .................................................. ............................. ......M50B25 3.1L stroker

Comment

Couldnt you adapt something like this?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chase Bays View Post
              Obviously naming an exact price before a prototype is even created is nearly impossible. However, do you have a target total price (sans ITB's) for what it would cost? I am interested, so long as the total cost makes me say "yeah yeah, that seems cool" =P
              I'd like to keep the price of the adapter well under $400 for an initial production run, but a lot of it depends on the cost of whatever metal from which I make it and the machining cost. Figure another $300 for the S54 itbs and injectors, $170 for the vacuum tank, hoses and throttle linkage. The tune would be the biggest variable on the first set I make, but once it's done, it's done; the only cost for subsequent buyers would be the physical chip and sensor wiring. My R&D time is free :) I was discussing this with a friend, who said it would be a fair deal at under $1000 all-in, which has become my goal.

Originally posted by mattdk318i View Post
              http://racehead.com.au/products-page...-itb-manifold/

Couldnt you adapt something like this?
              In a sense, I've followed the same idea.

The base flange is the same; the runners are different, as mine morph along the full length to match the S54 itbs' output port, whereas the RHD ones are more generic and give you a round input port. They also don't include any vacuum takeoff nibs--you'd have to drill in the bosses and use an adapter. They'd work if you used an aftermarket itb setup, but I prefer the S54 ones for their higher flow and performance background along with huge availability. It shifts the bottleneck to the valvetrain, which gives you a lot more breathing room (pun intended) for subsequent mods.

Comment

Someone is already is doing this...

The whole problem is the s54 is a 50mm body, and anyone that is going to make that kind of power ($$$) is not going to retro fit something in this fashion. There are kits currently available/being developed that cover the ITB m50/2 market and they are offering 40-45mm bodies.

Food for thought...

Originally posted by digger View Post
                from what i found

M50 manifold is 55x25 and M52 is 45 x 23 which means an equivalent diameter of

39.75 and 34.25mm respectively
                I realized this long after the initial "argument" with the guy already doing this, but the data he seems to be basing his "goals" on is from a heavily worked m54. Now, the m54 vs m50 port looks like this...

Now read this well put together article...

ITB intakes are the most effective intake for a naturally aspirated engine there is absolutely no question about that and that is why the most powerful racing and performance engines will all have an intake like this in some form or another. However there are a lot of myths and misconceptions about them and their application to an engine. Firstly Continue Reading

for example a BMW m3 engine has 50mm ITB but they also have 2 very long ports in the head that are only equivalent diameter of 37mm this is the high velocity section of the intake and the butterfly is effectively out near the bell-mouth. This is why everyone who adapts M3 ITB”s onto other engines results in a spectacular failure!

Also, I just can't wrap my head around why people think a high HP number is all the rage... It's not fun to drive a street car that has a power band from 5-7k...
                sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

Originally posted by TSI View Post
                  but I prefer the S54 ones for their higher flow and performance background along with huge availability. It shifts the bottleneck to the valvetrain, which gives you a lot more breathing room (pun intended) for subsequent mods.
                  You clearly did not read the RHD website nor understand physics...
                  sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

The 45mm were a bit too large for the m50. If you look at my dyno graph, you can see the TQ was lacking a bit.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:
                    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

If you can develop a product well engineered at a great price I will buy one. Make you have some graphs.

what is your time goal for this?

Comment

Originally posted by pantelones View Post
                        Someone is already is doing this...

The whole problem is the s54 is a 50mm body, and anyone that is going to make that kind of power ($$$) is not going to retro fit something in this fashion. There are kits currently available/being developed that cover the ITB m50/2 market and they are offering 40-45mm bodies.

Food for thought...

I realized this long after the initial "argument" with the guy already doing this, but the data he seems to be basing his "goals" on is from a heavily worked m54. Now, the m54 vs m50 port looks like this...

Now read this well put together article...

ITB intakes are the most effective intake for a naturally aspirated engine there is absolutely no question about that and that is why the most powerful racing and performance engines will all have an intake like this in some form or another. However there are a lot of myths and misconceptions about them and their application to an engine. Firstly Continue Reading

Also, I just can't wrap my head around why people think a high HP number is all the rage... It's not fun to drive a street car that has a power band from 5-7k...
                        Yes, my idea is to replicate the Jenvey setup's basic layout but use cheaper and more available components--their setup comes close to $2000 without any ancillary parts. Relative to the differential port sizes, there will of course be a loss of smooth airflow (same as any setup with a plate not exactly matching the M5x port, really). At the end of the day, I'm not promising monster HP or torque gains--the ideal setup has already been done, it's called the euro S5x. My solution to the increased size of the S54 itb is to use the combination of a lack of plenum and and shorter runner (compared to that used on a 45mm throttle) to create a tract overall slightly shorter, taking into account the morphing cross-section.

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                        The 45mm were a bit too large for the m50. If you look at my dyno graph, you can see the TQ was lacking a bit.
                        Your setup was a big reference for me; I agree it's not ideal, but I'll try to compensate with an overall tract length that addresses that.

I'm still very much in the preliminary stage, but would like to have the design completed by July and make the first by August.

Comment

a plenum/airbox is highly recommended i wouldn't ditch it.
                          you would probably want longer runners if your airspeed is too low. however if the throttles are too big the solution is to mount them farther upstream very close to or at the bellmouth and have a longer "tapered runner" arrangement to the head. this probably falls outside of what would be called an adapter though.
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                            a plenum/airbox is highly recommended i wouldn't ditch it.
                            you would probably want longer runners if your airspeed is too low. however if the throttles are too big the solution is to mount them farther upstream very close to or at the bellmouth and have a longer "tapered runner" arrangement to the head. this probably falls outside of what would be called an adapter though.
                            That's exactly what I'm doing. I guess it's a runner/adapter/manifold-thing :)

Comment

is this still on going ? or did this a dead project?

Comment

Working...
                              X