Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M42 - Bad piston rings? Need suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 - Bad piston rings? Need suggestions.

So after some unrelated issues, I did a compression test to find that my test result read:
    160 :(

After adding a bit of oil, it climbed up to 180. So if I understand the diagnosis of the test correctly, I have a bad piston ring.
    That would reveal my fairly slow loss of oil - which I initially attributed to a small oil leak.

So while replacing the piston ring, what other parts would be a good idea to replace? My car has a fairly low mileage at 180,000km (around 100,000miles) and is otherwise running great.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice!
    ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

i'm scared to check mine. When i turn the engine over with a wrench i can hear air leaking through somehthing. Maybe you should check that cylinder agian after some driving. Maybe crud is just stuck in somehthing

Comment

Originally posted by nickmp0wer
      i'm scared to check mine. When i turn the engine over with a wrench i can hear air leaking through somehthing. Maybe you should check that cylinder agian after some driving. Maybe crud is just stuck in somehthing
      all the spark plugs were fine - but the one with the low compression had white-brownish ash build up.
      ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Don't worry about it.

Yeah its no't ideal, but its perfectly fine. Leave it alone.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
          Don't worry about it.

Yeah its no't ideal, but its perfectly fine. Leave it alone.
          alright thanks :D

Should I replace the spark plug with the ash built up more often? Do you know of any temporary reliefs that could stop from burning oil and making the spark plug go bad?
          ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Switch to a thicker weight oil, will help marginaly.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
            https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by royalflush313
              So after some unrelated issues, I did a compression test to find that my test result read:
              160 :(

After adding a bit of oil, it climbed up to 180. So if I understand the diagnosis of the test correctly, I have a bad piston ring.
              That would reveal my fairly slow loss of oil - which I initially attributed to a small oil leak.

So while replacing the piston ring, what other parts would be a good idea to replace? My car has a fairly low mileage at 180,000km (around 100,000miles) and is otherwise running great.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice!
              i would do an m50 swap just for the hell of it

Comment

Working...
              X