Need help asap!!! M50 getrag 240!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help asap!!! M50 getrag 240!!

ok so im doing a m50 from E34(auto) car and im using my getrag 240 trans that came in my 318i...

so im running a M20 single mass flywheel, but the bolts i have are too short what do i need to do?? are there other longer bolts to use??

im also running m20 starter and and slave cylinder, along with a euro 320i throw out bearing, m50 pilot bearing, and m50 (e36 clutch kit) what else do i need im literally in the middle of the swap right and stock with the flywheel..

thanks

need help asap..

Comment

just buy some longer bolts, be sure they're grade 8 or 10. i think they're m10x1.25 but i'm not sure. you should take a bolt with you and you'll find it.

home depot or your hardware store will have it. Vatozone too but the selection is weaker.
      sigpic

Comment

so use any grade 8 or 10 bolts for the flywheel? will using longer bolts affect the placement of clutch at all..?

Comment

not any bolt, needs to be the same thread pitch for sure.
          clutch/pp/flywheel should be clamped down pretty tight and should not affect the clutch placement. i think it's 35lb/ft? you should double check in the bentley.
          sigpic

Comment

The flywheel bolts are special and have a thin head. You can't use regular bolts or you will have clearance issues. I'm assuming you are using either the 318is bolts or the bolts from an auto 525? M20 bolts should work.

Comment

i tried m20 bolts they where to short... and also i need to run a m20 clutch kit or e36 clutch kit??

Comment

ok last question, so do i run a m20 clutch kit or the m50 kit???

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
                  not any bolt, needs to be the same thread pitch for sure.
                  clutch/pp/flywheel should be clamped down pretty tight and should not affect the clutch placement. i think it's 35lb/ft? you should double check in the bentley.
                  Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                  The flywheel bolts are special and have a thin head. You can't use regular bolts or you will have clearance issues. I'm assuming you are using either the 318is bolts or the bolts from an auto 525? M20 bolts should work.
                  i did not know this. OP - sorry for the misinformation.
                  sigpic

Comment

clutch kit must match the flywheel as well as starter. You can't mix these. Bolts must be correct length, too long will dig into the engine, too short will brake and they must be put in with Loctite to prevent leakage.

Comment

The m20 flywheel can be used for 24s engines(m50/m52/m54) and no matter what's the weight of them,13 lbs. or 18lbs.A starter from e34 m20 comes along with it.Also a clutch kit 228mm should be used to make it compatible with the flywheel.A gearbox from e30 316i,318i or 320i can be fitted (getrag 240) and then the drive shaft from the same model gearbox is suitable to be installed,if a gearbox getrag 260 is used,a driveshaft from 325i/325e can be installed along with the shifter(from e36)

U can see the pic of the flywheel above as well as an information of the bolt's threads.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                        I am running an aluminum flywheel with the torque plate on it and standard head height bolts (weird length, very long) and didn't have interference between the clutch disc and bolt heads. Given I was not using a stock clutch disc, spec stage 2+.

Food for thought.

Comment

Working...
                        X