N52?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N52?

Anybody out there messing around with making a N52 work in an e30?
    My Feedback

Working towards it. The oil pan is probably the biggest hurdle.

There is no ews delete, but you could wire up the CAS & start button and not worry about it.

MSV70 is a bit easier to hack than MSV80, which came on 328s. But either can be tuned for the 3 stage intake.

To my knowledge it hasnt been done yet.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I had an e90 328i and I always thought this would be a great NA swap if you weren't going for crazy power. Don't you have to keep / use the gauge cluster as part of the swap. Seems like hakentt did this swapping an N54 into an e36?
      Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

nah. You could install an E30 coolant temp sender, and there's still a regular tachometer output.

250whp is feasible with the N52. plenty for an E30.. plus it's lighter than an iron block 4cyl. :p
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          There is no ews delete, but you could wire up the CAS & start button and not worry about it.
          Are you talking about push-button start? Is that something that could be wired into the standard ignition switch or would you need to have an actual button to start?
          My Feedback

Comment

No.. I mean for EWS. Theres no delete for E90 dmes.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Oil pan discussion post

Comment

I'll just leave this here.. skip to the part inside the car where they show the tachometer.

Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Better hope that thing doesn't jump off the dyno...

Why not just go n54? Is it that much more work for some reason?

Someone has done it already:

BMW E30 M3 N54 turbo 600hp KMS MD35 dyno and track testEngine built by: Van Kronenburg Autosportwww.van-kronenburg.nl

JB4 and an ECU flash and you are at 500+hp.

Comment

because I don't want a fucking turbo. :p

the N54 is heavier, more complicated, and less reliable.

if I wanted a turbo, I'd just boost an M20. I don't fancy an engine that makes peak power at 4,000rpm and then runs out of breath at 6k rpm.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      because I don't want a fucking turbo. :p

the N54 is heavier, more complicated, and less reliable.

if I wanted a turbo, I'd just boost an M20. I don't fancy an engine that makes peak power at 4,000rpm and then runs out of breath at 6k rpm.
                      Haha! Yes. My buddy as an 08 335 (I think it's 08) and it's been relatively reliable. The biggest issue with the car is keeping the oil cool and working through odd JB4 issues.

I give him a hard time about turbos as often as I can. Not a huge fan myself, but that car is pretty incredible with what you can do with a simple software mod.

Comment

well if you watch the video it's something no N54 will ever do.. the short stroke/oversquare design of the N52 has some benefits. :)
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

What about swapping into a e36?
                          My Feedback

Comment

an E36 should be relatively easy, there are lots of rear sump pans available.

also I may have an EWS bypass now but it's a hardware solution rather than software. Eventually I want to have a software fix - it also works on MSS70 though, so you could also swap in an S54 from a Z4M. :)
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                            X