Oil for your M42!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil for your M42!

Did a half-ass search and didn't come up with much so thought it may be good to just put this here. Oil change time coming up, can get some Castrol GTX 20w50 from Walmart for $20. I used this last time, seems totally fine. Mechanic uses Total. Both non-synthetic. Can't find Total anywhere online.

Aside from "fresh and clean" any preferences here?

EDIT - the search was so half-assed I completely missed the thread here about synthetics. From like 2 weeks ago. So....feel free to disregard.
    Last edited by majdomo; 11-01-2018, 10:17 PM. Reason: Half-assery
    Current flame: E30 318iS Alpinweiss II slicktop / LSD - Joanne
    The old man: 1970 2002 Polaris(ish) slicktop / rat rod - Wallace
    The ex: E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - Betty
    The heavy: 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport (3rd Gen) - Fred

Yes, go more "full-assed" with your search in future, this one's been done to death.

Comment

This come from member bmwman91, who has lots of experience with his M42 and a Metric Mechanic rally M42. Also from what I have read zinc is very important for the M42.

"Mobil 1 15W-50, change oil every 10k miles, Mahle filters every 5k miles. Done. This assumes that the car sees street duty and maybe an autoX here and there. If you track it, then change the oil more often.

M1 15W-50 provides the best protection for your money when it comes to street oils since it has high zinc and phosphorus levels, which many oils lack these days. Castrol 10W-60 TWS oil is better, but ungodly expensive and completely unnecessary for a stock m42."

Comment

Having the "right stuff" in your oil is imortant, and as such M1 is still a good choice for oil, but change intervals very much depend on the health of your engine and the way that you drive.

Comment

Synthetic Mobil 1 15w-50 from Walmart, or 10-40.

I've run everything from 5-30 to 15-50 over the nearly 10 years of ownership and I'd say just stick with either 10-40 (which will work absolutely fine from my experience) or the 15-50. I have always used OWM Mahle filters. I have used either Mobil 1 or Amsoil.
          My 1991 318is Progression Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Nairb View Post
            Synthetic Mobil 1 15w-50 from Walmart, or 10-40.

I've run everything from 5-30 to 15-50 over the nearly 10 years of ownership and I'd say just stick with either 10-40 (which will work absolutely fine from my experience) or the 15-50. I have always used OWM Mahle filters.
            I agree with this wholeheartedly!

Comment

Working...
            X