No announcement yet.

Making the best of Rustoleum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would take many, many cans of spray paint and would probably end up costing as much as PPG by the time the whole car had adequate coverage. LOL

Comment

ya spray cans would be better for one body panel and not a whole car.

like the op video ( the first post in this thread, the youtube video). I used 2 cans for 1 front bumper. well and half a can of clear too.

it would be much cheaper again to roll it on if you have that much to paint. by then id buy a spray gun and a compressor. maybe use the same paint who knows.

sell it when i was done for half maybe.
      Last edited by stamar; 03-29-2012, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by underconstruction View Post
        That would take many, many cans of spray paint and would probably end up costing as much as PPG by the time the whole car had adequate coverage. LOL
        Doubtful. My car has 4 base and 3 clear coats in PPG, the liquids alone were almost $1k.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

ppg paint is definitely a different quality level and needs different application methods. regardless of what it costs

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            Doubtful. My car has 4 base and 3 clear coats in PPG, the liquids alone were almost $1k.
            At that price in supplies alone I would be nervous if somebody farted next to my car although I am sure it will look great for many years to come.

Comment

how would you guys suggest spray-bombing the roof? most of my paint is nice, except the roof, which is beginning to oxidize. I can polish it pretty well, but the clear is gone in a couple patches so it always looks patchy. it's a 2 stage silver/clear. I had great success with color matched spray cans, except the clearcoats, which I've found to be generally poor quality (they seem to yellow and crack over time).

eventually I'd like to respray the entire car, correctly, but I'd also like it to at least look decent until then..
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

spray cans are rarely for painting a whole car. Even this rustoleum expert guy he uses a roller for his whole car. spray cans for 1 fender and for his motorcycle.

someone here on r3v just spray painted his trunk in rustoleum. 2 stage. thats getting too big really to expect it to dry right. its worked out best from pictures here on r3v to spray paint your bumper and valence. I did it i have pictures im putting up later when i finish my hood.

for e30s most people that have tried it have zinno cars because it matches regal red. But in this thread you can see sunrise red is close to brilliantrot.
                Last edited by stamar; 03-29-2012, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  how would you guys suggest spray-bombing the roof? most of my paint is nice, except the roof, which is beginning to oxidize. I can polish it pretty well, but the clear is gone in a couple patches so it always looks patchy. it's a 2 stage silver/clear. I had great success with color matched spray cans, except the clearcoats, which I've found to be generally poor quality (they seem to yellow and crack over time).

eventually I'd like to respray the entire car, correctly, but I'd also like it to at least look decent until then..
                  It wouldn't cost you much to have just the roof painted and blended at the pillars. With the seam there, it would barely be noticeable.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    honestly, i wouldnt be surprised if it took nearly 200 cans of spray paint (@$5) to paint an entire car if you are doing 4 base and 3 clear.
                    either way, with any job bigger than a single panel, single bumper, etc spray cans dont make sense.

Comment

yeah, but I'm sure it would be signifcantly less with a spray can :p
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by underconstruction View Post
                        At that price in supplies alone I would be nervous if somebody farted next to my car although I am sure it will look great for many years to come.
                        I traded some major hood/door jamb reconstruction/welding on an old MG for my paint, the painter did the labor free since I hooked him up with several jobs in the last 2yrs since he went out on his own :) I just stripped the car and dropped it off at his place for a complete block-sand and spray. He missed two tiny dings, though :(

But, yes, even though it wasn't money out of pocket, I know how nice it looks/cost him so it's well cared for and it looks fantastic.

john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

Nando, I would say the biggest job with spray painting that is prepping it.

so using a stripper to take the clear and old paint off. thats where all the work is.

getting airplane or auto paint stripper.

I doubt rustoleum silver is a good match for bmw silver though, so youre gonna have to get shafted and spend as much as 60 or more for 3 cans of paint scratch paint.

At that point youre in bodyshop territory. If you stripped it off, I bet they would charge 150$ to do it for you.

no guarantees about what paint shop charges in your market but in general theyre the ones that are desperate at the moment.

Comment

I guess I'd have to get a quote.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

If there is a cheap brand of spray paint, that matches bmw delphin, ive never heard of it and youll be the one discovering it.

I wouldnt be hopeful

Comment

I've been playing around with rustoleum by mixing bare metal primer red with dark forest green I get a pretty interesting olive drab color. It covers pretty damn nice and only costs about 20 bucks for a half gallon....try getting any low end urethane (let alone acrylic) for that price then tell me where the hell you got it!

This is well worth it if you have any sense and a want a new paint job for less than 100 bucks...and a sweet weekend huffing paint fumes.
                                Swanny!
                                SUCKERS.

Comment

Working...
                                X