Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

late model moto cluster in early vdo car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

late model moto cluster in early vdo car?

my 87 325is had a vdo cluster when I got but the po took the original cluster out and replaced it with a crappier cluster cause he wanted to keep it.. my si board is fried as well as some tracers on the circuit board going to the tach.. i think the cluster is shot.. found a very accurate mileaged motometer cluster out of a 90. are they interchangeable? is the si board interchangeable? is anything interchangeable between the two??

the current cluster in the car has the coding plug on the front
    Last edited by NeedaE30; 05-19-2014, 12:22 PM.

if it has a coding plug up front it's 100% compatible, including internals.
    one difference is your car has a smaller gas tank so the fuel gauge wont read right. if you swap the entire cluster be sure you also use your current fuel gauge. I'd use your coding plug too if they aren't the same part #.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

If that one isnt correct, I have an extra early model motometer cluster that works. coding plug is in front on mine. Im currently using it until the OE cluster is done getting rebuilt
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

ok, so i dont know what originally came in the car. the one in the car has a coding plug in the front and is VDO but again its not originally what came in the car. should i just use the 90 325 motometer gauge cluster as a whole? or should i swap fuel gauges? are they easy to swap? the fuel gauge i mean

Comment

you can use the whole cluster but you need to swap fuel gauges. they're pretty easy to swap.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I think he is saying the fuel gauge in there now is not original so it may not be any more accurate than the one in the new cluster.
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

well the one from the 90 is certainly not going to be accurate so the safer bet is to swap the current one into the new cluster. :p
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yea so it works perfecty, though my fuel gauge was reading about 1/4 and in the new cluster its 3/4 so its obviously not accurate, what i find weird is the new cluster has a vdo backing and a motometer front... frankencluster?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                  I think he is saying the fuel gauge in there now is not original so it may not be any more accurate than the one in the new cluster.

this

how can i tell which one is accurate haha.. one says 1/4 the other says over 1/2

Comment

Working...
                  X