Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lira (euro DS mtech II 318is reshelled, 24v swapped, also now BAR'd)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lira (euro DS mtech II 318is reshelled, 24v swapped, also now BAR'd)

Late one night I spun up Craigslist like I usually do, searched for BMWs older than 1991 like I usually do, and found an ad for an Italian import 318is. It had a full Mtech 2 kit, two sets of wheels, a blown-up engine and a dogleg transmission.

This set off my internal weird BMW alarm - M42s don't get doglegs! I immediately became hopefully suspicious that the seller didn't know anything and was actually the owner of a 320is, an Italy and Portugal-only 2L S14-powered e30. I scooted over to Travis Air Force Base to get the full scoop.

It turns out the car was indeed a 318is, not a 320is, and indeed had a very blown M42, and indeed had a dogleg. After several months of playing email tag, a deal was struck, and a few days ago I found myself in possession of this:

It was filthy from sitting under a tree and I wanted to know what I was working with, so I washed it.

Holy crap! It was actually really clean. Unfortunately, I have to take it apart, for three separate reasons.

1 - it has an Italian title, all the importation paperwork for getting into the states (this was a airman's car), and theoretically has been registered in Connecticut. California is ambiguous with respect to this rule, and I am not too keen to find out the hard way.

2 - being a European import, it has rust. Not a ton, but the battery box is holey, various parts of the underside are crunchy and there's a few bubbly spots under the kit.

3 - it was taken into a ditch at some point and the passenger side rear wheel went up into the quarterpanel *hard* and bent it out. This kind of sucks to fix, and warrants a full-on quarterpanel replacement.

So, instead, I decided to reshell it, and bought this:

which came with this:

It's a California-titled Diamantschwarz 318is, with a low-mile M50tu, a brand new M3 steering rack, AKG motor mounts, and a Imola-painted engine bay. The clearcoat was shot, so the PO's father did a lot of the bodywork, straightening, blocking and filling, and coated it with a temporary flat black until the rest of the car could go Imola. This project of course stalled for a number of years, like they do, and eventually they decided to get rid of it.

So, now, I'm going to merge these two cars into one totally awesome diamantschwarz mtech 2 m50tu r3v special.. and one unregisterable-in-CA roller shell. (if you know anyone looking for a dedicated track shell to build, get in touch)

Stay tuned.
    Last edited by kronus; 02-11-2016, 11:35 AM.
    cars beep boop

That mtech kit looks bomb on that car. Very nice. :p

Comment

That's gonna be sick! GL
      sigpic
      '89 325i RoyalBlau Metallic - Kylie
      Follow me on IG! @its.christiannn

Comment

nice find

Was looking at this car, but could not make a deal:).
        Good luck, glad it is going to a good home.
        jm

Comment

A 318is with a dogleg and mtech2? What an awesome find! I hope you keep the style 10s on it.

Sub'd. This should be good.
          '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
          '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Very cool and unique car. The end result is going to be rad!
            clutchCTRL!
            Move with a purpose.
            - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
            - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
            - 2000 323i AT
            2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

WHYYYY haha

looks like the mtech1 car will never finish.

but seriously, this should be a great car when its done. Are you planning on finishing the transition to imola red? I would
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Awww Hell yeah! Looks great. I saw that car and CL and thought it was a pretty good deal. Glad you picked it up.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  WHYYYY haha

looks like the mtech1 car will never finish.

but seriously, this should be a great car when its done. Are you planning on finishing the transition to imola red? I would

The 323 is currently surrounded by a ton of parts of other projects so it's on the proverbial backburner. I'm making slow progress..

This one is going to stay Diamantschwarz. Not a huge fan of color changes.

Also, update. "shell donor" is all taken apart and deposited at the body shop. I'm planning to take the italian one apart while it's being painted.

cars beep boop

Comment

looks good

You are quick:). Going to be a great project.
                    Will be watching for sure!!
                    jm

Comment

aaand we're back!

the paint match is very close, I didn't get the doors and some of the kit painted because the donor panels were good, but we'll see if I will have to do it.

also i got an m20 flywheel and clutch for the M50 that came with this car.. It will be receiving a getrag 250 that I have been stashing.

cars beep boop

Comment

but what about the white car???.... :(
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

it's several feet away from the black car. there's too much car parts leaned up against it for me to work on it..
                          cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                            it's several feet away from the black car. there's too much car parts leaned up against it for me to work on it..
                            stop buying car parts! and start installing them!!
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              stop buying car parts! and start installing them!!
                              ok here's my last four hours

also I put the ass end together

cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                              X