s52 or s54 M3 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

s52 or s54 M3 build

im a new guy on here so hope i dont piss anyone off by asking questions. Ok so i have done alot of searching on this and it seems to me that the s52 and s54 conversion seem to entail the same body changes to fit the motor with a few extra for the s54 custom front subframe, oil pan , and trans brace. Both from what i have read require a DME flash from one of the guys on this fourm and i can also find all the wire harrness on here too. Wiring isnt really that big a deal to me as that is what i do for work as long as i can find the pins sockets and correct crimp tools and connectors maybe someone on here could tell me what connectors and pins and tools ect i might need. I do not like to cut drill or weld since i dont really have those skills (fabrication) o and i dont own a tig or a mig. I would like to learn though. So trying to keep my build all mechanical and electrical stick to what im good at. My question is for a car that will be driven two or three times a week and taken to the track maybe 3-4times a year which is the better choice and is the s54 in an e30 m3 really worth the etra money/work. The car right now is just a rolling chassis and needs lots of work see my pics in my album. And yes i would use the 6speed if i went with the s54. Really just wanted hear some other peoples thoughts on it. One more question havent seen it on here but has anyone done a diy for the gas peddel swap for the s54.
    Attached Files

is the s54 in an e30 m3 really worth the extra money/work?
    Yes because S54 rules.

Comment

:p lol nice I am leaning towards the s54.

Comment

But if that M3 was mine I would go with S14, restore it back to original condition. S14 is nice fun engine on the road and on the track because S14 is light enough and keeps the chassis balance. S54 will increase front end weight and that may not be good for a track

Comment

I see make sense. I don't have the original s14 it was missing along with the trans from what I understand the s14 is very difficult to find now and parts to rebuild it are very expensive. I could be wrong though. So maybe s52 would be better choice. It's a little lighter then the s54, and the conversion is much more documented.

Comment

Recently drove an e30 with an S52 swap. Very fun, can recommend.
            No antenna? I sell plugs!

Here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...77#post4937877

Comment

S54.

The s14 is NOT fun on a street car unless you are driving like an a-hole.
              Originally posted by codyep3
              I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
              2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
              1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
              1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
              2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
              2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
              2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
              2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
              2010 F650gs twin
              2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Although I have never driven an s14 powered car I have not heard too many great things about them ( as a street car) from what I have heard they r very under powered and require a lot of attention, especially if not driven every day. This is what I've heard. I use to own an e46 m3 with the s54 so I now it's good motor with good power but in the e30 chassis I don't how it will handle, that being said I've never driven an s52 powered car but the numbers sound good for a car that weighs 3800lbs or so. I could always turbo the s52 later down the road, if I decide I need more power. I would like to have the s54 power but the amount of detailed instructions available for the s52 conversion make it seem a little less difficult. Imo less little problems to have to solve as I go. Equals less money spent equals getting back on the road sooner.

Comment

So can you fit an e46 m3 instrument cluster in an e30 m3 just a thought as I'm missing my cluster?

Comment

Originally posted by M3avionicstech View Post
                    I see make sense. I don't have the original s14 it was missing along with the trans from what I understand the s14 is very difficult to find now and parts to rebuild it are very expensive. I could be wrong though. So maybe s52 would be better choice. It's a little lighter then the s54, and the conversion is much more documented.
                    I just finished my s52 swap and I love it. If I had an M3, I think I would go S52 just because at this point it's so well documented and basically bolt in. If you use a 944 or IX booster, there is no drilling or slotting of the firewall, no custom subframe, just down pipes or custom exhaust, wire harness and go. Plus, personally, I think the S52 is about the perfect amount of horsepower for this car. The S52 isn't a rocket by any means, so if you are a horsepower freak; I don't know if it will be enough. But as far as a really fun, well balanced driver's car, it's great.

The S54 prices are coming down, the number of swaps are going up and it's a freaking great engine. You can still find them with decent miles unlike the S52, but their is still a large time / money difference on the positive side for the S52.

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                    S54.
                    The s14 is NOT fun on a street car unless you are driving like an a-hole.
                    I have zero experience with the s14, but a local guy who used to race his M3 and owned several over the years told me the same thing when I was bemoaning the fact that they were too pricey for me now. That was the first time I had ever heard that.
                    Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

I vote S54 with aftermarket engine management. S52 is cool but its a fake M engine.
                      = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

Originally posted by totheredline View Post
                        I . S52 is cool but its a fake M engine.

How so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
                        1998 e36 328ic/5 -
                        Roundie alpina pig cheekā€™d (1969)
                        1967 2002 parts car
                        1994 318iS junked.

Comment

Gonna get flamed for this but I speak the truth....

It's just a stroked, bored, and cammed m52. No itb's. No solid lifters. No 8000rpm. No 300 something hp... And NO way in hell I'd pay what people ask for them. But its what we got. We never got the REAL "euro" S50. Sure it says m-power on the valve cover and it moves an e30 pretty well, but I personally think they're overpriced, and overrated. Euro s50 (wich is very very similar to an s54) makes US s50/52 look lamesauce. Besides, you can make your own US s50 clone using an m54b30 rotating assembly, S50/52 cams and an M50 or m52 head and block. Or you can just get an m52B28, slap some long tubes and an m50 manifold + tune and make ALMOST s52 power. Of course you have an m3 so you can't do that. Lol.

I certainly wouldn't look down on anyone who swapped in a US S50/52. They make good power for what they are! I personally wouldnt touch a faker, overpriced S52. Instead I'd save up and swap in a proper s54 and wind that beautiful beast out to 7800 rpm until my heart was content.

Comment

If you want to be a real baller, go s38b38 turbo and make 1,200hp....

Comment

I see engine/tranny combos going under 2k. With a few bolt ons, you have a motor putting down 250hp. In a car this light, that's plenty of fun to be had.
                              1990 325i Cashmere Beige

"I don't like question marks. They're like exclamation points, but think they're fancy because they're curved. I won't tolerate it." -MNChiefsan

Comment

Working...
                              X