No announcement yet.

M42 vibration damper failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

took me two months and countless harness dissasembling to figure out somethign so stupid as that
    1991 318is ---230K - DD
    1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
    so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Huh, you learn something new every day I guess. Where do you get your replacements from? They seem...expensive.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

I got my replacement from my spare engine, which I then sold without a dampener. I do not look forward to shelling out whatever crazy price they will be in future.

Pics of said failure:

Although I have no pics of it together it looked 100% fine.

Comment

Had the same thing happen earlier this year. Car ran rough, timing off. Cam code. Thought it was a fuel issue. One day it ran perfect, got to my parents house and it wouldn't start. Finally looked at the damper and it was separated like yours.

Mine must've been on it's way out for a couple years because after I replaced it my car ran better than it ever has. A lot smoother
          DENY IGNORANCE!
          Schwarz 325-totaled
          brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
          don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

BavAuto has em for $100 OE (order by part number, it doesn't show as a compliant piece if you use the vehicle selector tool). I don't think I found them cheaper than $300 anywhere else.
            1991 318is ---230K - DD
            1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
            so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Hmmm...BavAuto shows $520 when I search the PN (11231721169). Did you use a different one?

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Working...
              X