How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Haystack View Post
    For me? I had to do the rack on my 85...

Subframe Reinforcement
    Steering Guibo (you'll have to do that anyway)
    Motor Mounts
    Control Arms
    Sway Bars and bushings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goood call, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

FYI - Garagistic has 50% off their e30 steering rack spacer kits right now.
      Steve • Toronto
      1991 318is • Brillantrot
      Build Thread

Comment

I have a 1986 euro market 318i with no airbag left hand drive and an s50 swap. I've read through the first 35 pages and there's a few references to the euro steering knuckle being incompatible with the z3 rack, can anyone verify this?

If this is the case, can the knuckle in this kit be used?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by redearedslider5 View Post
          I have a 1986 euro market 318i with no airbag left hand drive and an s50 swap. I've read through the first 35 pages and there's a few references to the euro steering knuckle being incompatible with the z3 rack, can anyone verify this?

If this is the case, can the knuckle in this kit be used?

Thanks!

Euro knuckles are plug and play with the rack swap. Just space out the subframe.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

thank you!

Comment

are the photos from the first post available anywhere?

Comment

So, for those of you who have Z3 racks, what's your steering feel like? Heavy? Light? Somewhere in the middle? How is it on center vs when turning?

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                  So, for those of you who have Z3 racks, what's your steering feel like? Heavy? Light? Somewhere in the middle? How is it on center vs when turning?
                  Ive driven an e36m3 with a z3 rack and a 330mm wheel and its certainly far more responsive on center. I havent driven it past 80 for extended periods of time but the owner says it isnt too bad for highway driving. Its heavy for sure but not too bad in parking lots and stuff.

Compared to my e30 with an e36m3 rack and a 350mm wheel
                  1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Thanks for the info. Just to be clear, I already have a Z3 rack, but I'm trying to figure out if there's something wrong with it, or if it's just not what I expected it to be. Sometimes it seems lighter but with good response and feel (which is what I expected), but most of the time it feels heavier than I would expect for a power assisted rack - like something isn't right. It's pretty easy to turn on center, and then quickly becomes fairly heavy. Personally I think the transition between light and heavy makes it feel kind of sketchy. I've got 9 degrees of caster, so I'm thinking this has something to do with it. I don't find it sketchy at all on the highway, mostly it seems to want to go straight, but I have 1/8" toe in. I've considered that maybe my pump is bad and is giving inconsistent pressure/flow, but I'm not really sure about that.

Also worth mentioning, when I first got my car, stock save for M3 CABs, the steering was really light, and became somewhat heavy (with stock rack) when I lowered it.

I don't have another E30 to compare to, except my own with the stock rack. I'm debating swapping this one out for a 330i rack since they're pretty cheap, just to see what it does.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                      Thanks for the info. Just to be clear, I already have a Z3 rack, but I'm trying to figure out if there's something wrong with it, or if it's just not what I expected it to be. Sometimes it seems lighter but with good response and feel (which is what I expected), but most of the time it feels heavier than I would expect for a power assisted rack - like something isn't right. It's pretty easy to turn on center, and then quickly becomes fairly heavy. Personally I think the transition between light and heavy makes it feel kind of sketchy. I've got 9 degrees of caster, so I'm thinking this has something to do with it. I don't find it sketchy at all on the highway, mostly it seems to want to go straight, but I have 1/8" toe in. I've considered that maybe my pump is bad and is giving inconsistent pressure/flow, but I'm not really sure about that.

Also worth mentioning, when I first got my car, stock save for M3 CABs, the steering was really light, and became somewhat heavy (with stock rack) when I lowered it.

I don't have another E30 to compare to, except my own with the stock rack. I'm debating swapping this one out for a 330i rack since they're pretty cheap, just to see what it does.
                      your caster and toe measurements seem pretty normal for a setup iwth offset CABs. My steering definitely got heavier when I swapped racks and also a bit when i lowered it (tiny amount..just felt like it loaded up better) the z3 rack definitely loads up quite a bit. Thats kind of the point. Extreme corners require more extreme steering input I guess. These cars certainly arent known for their light steering (except with the stock rack compared to swapped ones). If you don't like it then I'd swap it out. Keep the z3 rack in case you hate the 330i one.
                      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

i'm doing my conversion on an s50 swap that currently has a manual rack. i have to add the PS pump/res/lines as well. the parts i'm sourcing are from rock auto and i currently have in my cart the rack, pump, pump to rack hose, and res to pump hose. my understanding is that i also need a return hose but they all have the coil that we apparently can't use? what replacement part would i use? is there anything else i'm missing? thank you!

Comment

Getting closer here with the swap. Got the spacers into the steering knuckle and everything back into place. I had a hard time getting the knuckle onto the e36 rack - took a lot of moving around to get it on there. I got the bolt through up top and bottom of the knuckle eventually. I was filling the reservoir with fluid I noticed that turning left/right there is almost a little bump that I go over. It doesn't seem bad but I am wondering if the knuckle itself doesn't have too much pressure on it. Should it be really smooth turning the wheel without the outer tie rod?

Comment

Originally posted by piwko98 View Post
                            Getting closer here with the swap. Got the spacers into the steering knuckle and everything back into place. I had a hard time getting the knuckle onto the e36 rack - took a lot of moving around to get it on there. I got the bolt through up top and bottom of the knuckle eventually. I was filling the reservoir with fluid I noticed that turning left/right there is almost a little bump that I go over. It doesn't seem bad but I am wondering if the knuckle itself doesn't have too much pressure on it. Should it be really smooth turning the wheel without the outer tie rod?
                            Should be buttery smooth without the rods being connected to the wheels.
                            The knuckle is likely binding a bit at the joints. Try turning the rack with the knuckle and see where its catching.
                            It is also possible that it is getting caught on the power steering line depending on how you bent them.

Comment

Thanks, I'll take another look to see if I can tell where it's rubbing. I had a hell of a time getting it onto the rack.

I kept the plastic piece (in the holes) when adding the spacer as it seemed to keep the bolt nicely in the place. Wondering if that needs to be removed to give it a little bit more play.

Comment

Originally posted by Mook613 View Post
                                Should be buttery smooth without the rods being connected to the wheels.
                                The knuckle is likely binding a bit at the joints. Try turning the rack with the knuckle and see where its catching.
                                It is also possible that it is getting caught on the power steering line depending on how you bent them.
                                Back in business. It ever so slightly rubbing on the knuckle.
                                Got the alignment done and everything seems to be in place.

Thanks for all of the help!

Comment

Working...
                                X