Time to throw in the towel ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to throw in the towel ?

What was supposed to be the beginning of bringing back my e30 from near dead, has me disheartened to say the least.

I picked up the car on friday from the shop after a head/timing chain job. I drove it home and parked it while i dealt with a few projects.
    Today I went to take a look at it and found all the spare parts i had given them to use still in their packaging sitting under the rear seats. The 3 clusters i had in the car completely disassembled with all the screws nowhere to be found.

I decided to check the valve cover bolts, they were all the original stripped bolts, most held in place with silicone and some of them not even not even belonging to the car.

This was supposed to be a trusted shop, but this is really off putting.
    They say if you want something done right, you should do it yourself. If i had the time and a place to do it I would.
    I was really looking forward to driving it a little this week, but tomorrow it goes back to the shop so they can do it right a second time around on their dime but I can´t but feel that it may be time to let her go....single tear.
    My new E34 525i Sport Limousine Blog
    http://bmw525isportlimousine.blogspot.com.es/

I never go to shops for this reason , take pics and demand your $ back

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

What did you tell them to do?

Comment

What did you pay them to do/what does the receipt say they did?

I'd demand my money back and not give them another chance to screw you over.

Sorry.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Hi all,

The car overheated last spring, so I sent it in for a new head gasket. The original head was replaced with a spare that i had in my storage locker. The old one had been resurfaced too many times.
          They did the head gasket but as to why you would need silicone to hold the valve cover bolts in place is beyond ghetto.
          I also asked them to deal with the timing chain if they found any issues while the head was worked on, sprockets, chain, tensioner, rail.
          I spoke with the owner today and he said that the timing components were in great shape and didn´t change them but told me to bring the car back and he will deal with any outstanding issues. I will give him another shot since he´s been great in the past.

The thing they have serviced all my cars with nary a problem. I have always been happy with the work, if there were any issues, which was rare, they would address them no questions asked. They managed to find solutions for issues that other shops simply could not. I´ve been through 7 different shops inlcuding the dealership, and all 7 were of varying levels of incompetence mixed with outright thievery. Which is why i was surprised by what I found.

My greatest regret is not buying a place with it´s own garage so i can do my own work. Hopefully this is resolved with no more drama.

Comment

So you have had lots of good experiences with this shop over many years and you have one potentially bad experience and you post about it on a forum before talking to them with a woe-is-me attitude? Then you ring them up and they offer to make it right.

I dont see what the problem is. Take it back, get it sorted. End of story.

Next time check their workmanship before paying the bill.

Comment

Yeah that sucks, but you say they've always been good to you, so why don't you try and get it sorted out before coming here saying you wanna dump your car because the valve cover bolts are held on by silicone.

I mean, you're saying you should have done this yourself, but if a valve cover being held on by wrong bolts and silicone is too much for you, you're better off using a shop or riding a bicycle

edit; what engine is this? is the cylinder head stripped?
              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

what ever happened to... them telling you what will be done to the car, before you give the ok to do the work?? that's how i roll when i take it to a shop.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                '90 325i sedan daily driven
                '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

I assume its an m42 if hes talking timing chains.

Comment

maybe he as an m10 like a newb

or an m5x
                    Last edited by MrBurgundy; 01-15-2018, 03:55 PM.
                    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

M30 swap......?
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

M10 Tii motor, bet no one has done that!!!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

It´s a car forum, we are here to share experiences. This one is mine, if you don´t like it feel free to kindly fuck thyself and the horse you rode in on.
                          See, even old people can behave like pre-teens on a bad day : )

Comment

Definitely time to throw the towel in.

Comment

option 1- get your money back
                              a. Fix it yourself
                              b. Find a new shop
                              option 2- have them fix it
                              option 3 -sell it

/thread

Comment

Working...
                              X