A 50 year old Japanesse lady: SRL311 01228

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
    Your car looks good. Its come a long way.

Will
    Thanks Will. None of this would've been possible without your help
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Today was fun... I had to remove a few things from inside the car and while the pass seat was out of the way, I decided to start chipping away...literally...

Here was a "progress" shot

Chipping away by 2mAn

and this was the "Im done" shot, even though Im still not done yet.

Chipping away by 2mAn

My knuckle/ wrist started to hurt from hammering it too many times, and I had basically gotten the large section done that I wanted to. A few more sessions of chipping away at this stuff and I will be ready to cover it all in POR15. Then I can finish the driver seat, bolted completely down once and for all, followed by some floor mats and my interior is "done"
      Simon
      Current Cars:

Comment

I remember doing that. Lots of fun. Helps if you do it when it's 20 degrees out.

Comment

I remember watching a video of a guy pouring some dry ice on top of all the shit on the floor and he effortlessly chipped it away.
          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
            I remember doing that. Lots of fun. Helps if you do it when it's 20 degrees out.
            Oh its a blast, I can only imagine how much more fun it is when its 20* out haha

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
            I remember watching a video of a guy pouring some dry ice on top of all the shit on the floor and he effortlessly chipped it away.
            I have always planned to use dry ice, but this was one of those situations when I went down to the garage to deal with one thing and an hour later Im halfway through hammering out the old undercoating. Its not too bad actually, mostly noisy and my knuckle isnt too happy with me and my poor aim

I will need to get dry ice for sure soon because the footwells are harder to get to, but also because I want to pull the trunk tar out of the E30 also, so I can kill two birds with one stone.

I'll get around to it eventually ;)
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

I love this!

Man, I need to get my priorities together and get back on the Jensen. This gives me the little jump I need to get back into that car....

Bravo!
              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                I love this!

Man, I need to get my priorities together and get back on the Jensen. This gives me the little jump I need to get back into that car....

Bravo!
                Yes, get back to work on that damn car! Are you not jerkin anymore?!?
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  Yes, get back to work on that damn car! Are you not jerkin anymore?!?
                  I've jerkin', but on a secret Rover project.

Jensen regularly gets a lil jaunt down the road maybe once a week or so. Got salt all over the roads here, so it's staying hidden in the barn.
                  1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

I tried dry ice and it didn't do much with the black stuff.

Heat gun is the key. I just did this last week to a new VW project (76 Rabbit). Heat it up with the gun and is scrapes right off with putty knife.
                    Took about 45 minutes to do the whole car.
                    1991 318iC
                    1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Today was an interesting day. The Alfa Romeo Club of SoCal (AROSC) was having an event at Big Willow and my friend was entered. I thought I might be able to sneak a few laps out with the Roadster. Car made the 90 mile trip running strong with no issues with the fuel line needing to be cleared out. I arrived safely at the gate, but while sitting and waiting to get in, the car just died. Either the alternator or the voltage regulator went out. Luckily I was already in talks with a few people to get the car looked at. I was going to postpone the work until later, but the car decided nows the time. I enjoyed my day, but wasnt going to get the pic I wanted... I pushed the car to get a good secondary pic though haha

and a few more for good measure.

hopefully next time Im out there I can take the car out for a few laps!
                      Last edited by 2mAn; 08-15-2019, 01:34 PM.
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Looks great. Sorry about the trouble.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                          Looks great. Sorry about the trouble.
                          Thanks, and its not too surprising. Remember until about ~9 months ago this car had been parked since '87 and I havent replaced all of the old components. Its done quite a bit of mileage without complaint. I will get there, and its in good hands now. I just hope its not too painful to get the current issue (pun intended) dealt with and then theres the timing chain components that need to be addressed. Once those are done, Im going to focus on getting as much safety equipment done to make it HPDE compliant first, and then VARA compliant second. Some of those VARA items will make the car less streetable so they will be put off for a little while
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

I have to say, for a car that sat for so long, and was set up so very wrong in a few ways, the car has done quite well. Yes we had some funky issues at the beginning, but once I got it running and stopping, it appears to have shown just how well a roadster will run even if its tired.

Honestly, I'd do the GM alternator conversion and move it over to the passenger side. Just do it and get it done with. I bet the issue is with one of those 4 wires that went to the voltage regulator. I'd bet a wire simply came lose from one of the spade connectors.

Will
                            '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                            '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                            '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                            '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                              I have to say, for a car that sat for so long, and was set up so very wrong in a few ways, the car has done quite well. Yes we had some funky issues at the beginning, but once I got it running and stopping, it appears to have shown just how well a roadster will run even if its tired.

Honestly, I'd do the GM alternator conversion and move it over to the passenger side. Just do it and get it done with. I bet the issue is with one of those 4 wires that went to the voltage regulator. I'd bet a wire simply came lose from one of the spade connectors.

Will
                              You hit it on the head Will. Hard to fault a car that sat for 30 years and then with some work suddenly is expected to be 100% reliable. It has been reliable for the most part, but now that Im going to replace the alternator I can take care of a few things all at once, upgrading to a GM single wire alternator, eliminate the mysterious voltage regulator, along with the sketchy wiring job, and finally move the alternator over to the pass side.

Win win win.

The trifecta
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Spotted ;)

spotted by
                                Last edited by 2mAn; 02-05-2018, 11:17 PM. Reason: fixed the pic

-NICK

Comment

Working...
                                X