1989 325i Sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 325i Sedan

So last weekend I was reunited with my E30. For the past 5 years it’s been sitting somewhat forgotten at my dads house. I at least had it put away in the garage but I still managed to get a couple dings and dents along the years. All in all the car is in great shape in and out. Car was last parked due to a broken rocker arm.

Today I felt a bit curious and took off the valve cover to do some further investigating. I actually have all of the intake side rocker arms broken off. Makes me a little scared to see what’s going on in the block. My plan was to pull the head and get it rebuilt. If I have internal damage I may just pull another M20 from the Scrap yard. I’ll post some pictures below and try to keep some updates coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1989 325i Sedan

When I first got the car I wanted to drop it and all the typical e30 mods. But over the years I’ve just fallen in love with what a beautiful car it is in its original form. I’m thinking of keeping it clean and simple. What would you guys do with it? Rust free somewhat unmolested body and interior. No real plans of getting rid of it any time soon or ever at that. Has had 1 M20 swap already previous to my ownership. Head went out on my pops and he just dropped a low miles (not sure how many) I motor has a 885 head.

Before I handed it over to my dad I did a lot of maintenance work to it. I’ll try to list everything I did before it was parked.

Timing belt
    Timing belt tensioner
    New fan
    New fan clutch
    Radiator and hoses
    Alternator
    Fuel pump
    Brakes and rotors
    Thermostat
    Water pump
    O2 sensor
    CPS sensor
    Plugs and wires
    Cap and rotor
    Drive shaft was rebuilt
    Center support bearing and guibo replaced
    Transmission was replaced
    Clutch
    Rebuilt shifter
    Catalytic Converter
    Magnaflow muffler
    Flushed the fuel injectors
    16" Konig Remembers wheels

Still haven’t done anything else to the car. Just been admiring it sitting in its new home. I’m obsessed and my wife is starting to understand the years of talking about my old bmw. She laughs when I just sit there and clean my rims. Like it doesn’t even run why are you so obsessed? Lol.

Last edited by EREKSHUN; 02-09-2018, 03:15 PM.

Comment

so wait, Im confused. Is the head full of broken rockers NOW, or was that all before the changes you made?
      If its broken now, I would pull the head with the intention of sending it off to Bimmerheads or something. and then go from there, hopefully the bottom end will look good
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yea sorry about the confusion. The head currently has all the rockers on the intake side broken off. I have a local machine shop that I take my heads to for my other cars. I was actually looking at the bimmerheads website last night for parts. I would love to just send them the whole thing but it’s a little over my budget right now. I’m hoping that it is just the head and that I didn’t damage the pistons or anything in the block. I have a kiddo on the way so I’m hoping to get this up and running before all that happens :) I work for a scrap company and we have so many decent E30s coming in all the time. That’s the only reason why I’m thinking of just throwing another M20 in there. I can probably get a complete one for under $300 but then there’s the risk of it going out in a couple months also.

Comment

Just pull the head, leaving the entire fuel system/ intake manifold side of things together. Its a little more work to get it out as one piece but makes installation a breeze.

Im sure the bottom end is fine, but how the hell did all the rockers break? Might have bent valves too
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I’ve been reading up on it there seams to be a lot of info out there. I’ll be working on it slowly and will update you guys as much as I can.

Comment

Mercedes oil cap? I am also very intrigued why all the intake rockers snapped, seems like an m20 owners nightmare. Did someone adjust the valves before this happened?

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

1989 325i Sedan

Lol at the oil cap. I’ll be going through the car and sorting it out now that it’s in my hands. You know I also would like to know what could cause all the intake rockers to snap. I was hoping someone else had some information. No major work was done to it prior to breaking down for at least a year. I think I’m capable of removing the head on my own so I’ll be working on that in the up coming weeks. I will post pics of the head once removed.

Comment

Happy Monday to all!

Well i had some free time this past weekend and starting digging into the break down. I got all the small items out of the way so that i can pull the intake and head off. Although its still on the car because I need to pick up the right sockets to remove the head bolts.

Once i removed the timing belt cover i noticed that there was some wear on the inside of the cover. Once i inspected a little further i think i have found the reason why all my rockers snapped on the intake side. The timing belt tensioner snapped off. Its still in there but its not holding any tension on the belt. I think that it allowed some slippage on the belt and it may have jumped a tooth or two or three once i get the timing marks lined up and remove the head ill see how much damage i have inside the block. I will update this thread with some pictures of what i found later on today if i get home in time.

Comment

1989 325i Sedan

So here’s some pictures of the broken timing belt tensioner.

The visible wear on the inside of the timing belt cover.

Broken timing belt tensioner

Comment

So i need some advice from you guys. When i was trying to set the timing marks, the head was not moving along with the crank due to the slack on the timing belt. In my mind even further messing up the timing. Do i just pull the head off at this point? Its not set at top dead center but at the same time i cant really get the head to move along with the crank.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comment

just pull the whole thing. the arms are broken from the pistons hitting the valves and forcing them back upwards. the bottom is probably still good so you can get another head or get one of those 300 dollar engines and drop it in for now, for cheap, and work on this in the spare time to build it as a back up.

I wish I could find a 300 dollar engine still. once people figured out e30s were badass drift cars, all of them disappeared here. I still need a replacement head or engine but there is nothing within 3 hours drive

Comment

I agree with superj, just pull the head.

I was in a very similar situation to yours when I first bought my car - broken rocker arm on cylinder 6 and every valve was bent. Thinking the bottom end had to be toast, I was delighted to find the bottom end looked perfectly fine. Not even a mark on the pistons (that I could find). After sourcing a new head she fired right up.

Hopefully you have a similar result! M20 bottom ends are pretty tough.

Comment

Thanks guys. I just wasn’t sure since I wasn’t at top dead center. But I guess I can always set that after the heads off the car. I’ll upload some images once I get the head removed. I’m crossing my fingers but not holding my breath lol.

Comment

1989 325i Sedan

Sunday funday.

Removed the head and intake manifold today. Pistons have minor damage on them. Has anyone had success stories with slapping a rebuilt head on pistons in this condition? Couldn’t do a compression test with the head locked up but it seems to cycle fine can’t hear or feel anything crazy. Was able to set it to top dead center.

Here’s some pictures.

Last edited by EREKSHUN; 02-18-2018, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X