Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is Polly, the m30b35 swapped Ratrod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went 500f/600r. Think your setup should be the other way around but easy fix. Look forward to seeing the car in person.
    Current: 1988 M3 - Henna/Black black alcantara

Guten Parts + Service
    ... When you care enough to only give the very best.

Previous:
    '87 S50 MTech 1 325is
    '07 DTM Audi S4
    '03 VF Supercharged M3
    '03 Lexus IS300 (615rwhp/512rwtq)

Comment

Originally posted by JeST View Post
      I went 500f/600r. Think your setup should be the other way around but easy fix. Look forward to seeing the car in person.
      I think it is called I am EXHAUSTED and made a typo mistake lol. Rates are 700R and 600F MY BAD =)

Looking forward to hanging and building on cars this coming weekend! And seeing that s50 swap drool ;)
      ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
      ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
      ~ '87 535
      ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
      ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Lol

Looking forward to those sandwiches!
        Current: 1988 M3 - Henna/Black black alcantara

Guten Parts + Service
        ... When you care enough to only give the very best.

Previous:
        '87 S50 MTech 1 325is
        '07 DTM Audi S4
        '03 VF Supercharged M3
        '03 Lexus IS300 (615rwhp/512rwtq)

Comment

Originally posted by JeST View Post
          Lol

Looking forward to those sandwiches!
          I am making like 15lbs of it lol =)

update

Shaved the rest of the bay down, removed the remaining engine bay sound deadening mat. Tomorrow I am installing doing the cams and new timing parts.

Anyone know the cams bearing clearance and the Trq specs? I got the best gift in the world Friday! My friend that I bought the shell off of is a Master BMW tech. He is teaching me how to plastigage/install them. Never had to do a dohc before. Never owned anything but the b27 and a few honda motors.

EDIT: I found a PDF of the e36 torq specs. http://www.bmw-m.net/TechData/torq/bmw_torq.pdf (click the floppy drive icon at the start page. DLoading it Makes reading the format easier)
          Last edited by F34R; 08-20-2011, 08:27 PM.

Current cars:
          ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
          ~ '87 535
          ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
          ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

that sound mat is called ballast and it's there for weight balance.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike The Bavarian View Post
              that sound mat is called ballast and it's there for weight balance.
              in the trunk yes...in the engine bay there is NO NEED for it since the engine is the part that needs to be balanced.

What I removed was the rubber coated foam(in the engine bay) to keep the noise down in the cabin.

The tranny tunnel matting is gone, also the rear has been removed too. So has the cabin and all carpet. I will take off as much weight as I can. Not only am I going to give dyno charts BUT a weight too. The local junk yard I attend every week will let me on their scale. I have become very good friends with all of them over the years.

Current cars:
              ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
              ~ '87 535
              ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
              ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

EDIT: I found a PDF of the e36 torq specs. http://www.bmw-m.net/TechData/torq/bmw_torq.pdf (click the floppy drive icon at the start page. DLoading it Makes reading the format easier)
                Great link! I'm rebuilding am M50, and this couldn't have come at a better time! :D
                Last edited by kingston; 08-20-2011, 09:11 PM.
                Originally posted by LJ851
                kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                #teamross
                Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Originally posted by kingston View Post
                  Great link! I'm rebuilding am M50, and this couldn't have come at a better time! :D
                  :fist pump: let me know if you find cam bearing clearance or ANY BMW clearance specs for the e36 bearings. Also for the m20 too, I am rebuilding one of those too.

Current cars:
                  ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                  ~ '87 535
                  ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                  ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
                    :fist pump: let me know if you find cam bearing clearance or ANY BMW clearance specs for the e36 bearings. Also for the m20 too, I am rebuilding one of those too.
                    Will do! Surprised the specs aren't in the Bentley manual :(
                    Originally posted by LJ851
                    kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                    ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                    #teamross
                    Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
                      in the trunk yes...in the engine bay there is NO NEED for it since the engine is the part that needs to be balanced.

What I removed was the rubber coated foam(in the engine bay) to keep the noise down in the cabin.

The tranny tunnel matting is gone, also the rear has been removed too. So has the cabin and all carpet. I will take off as much weight as I can. Not only am I going to give dyno charts BUT a weight too. The local junk yard I attend every week will let me on their scale. I have become very good friends with all of them over the years.

Aahh, a simple miscomunication. i thought you ment the trunk and the floor boards

Comment

Dude, this is a beefy sedan build! I love it. Subscribing to keep up with awesome progress.

"Matt likes this"

Comment

I scrapped the m50 plans, leaving this here just to follow the build history.

Tore into the head tonight...

So we pulled the valve cover on my m50 to install the S50 cams. Turns out the PO did not like to change the oil. Carbon build up beyond what I have ever seen. So bad I was removing ice cube chunks. Everything is solid though, thank god.

My current personal feelings are sad and pissed. 116k on the motor and it was the worst taken care of motor I have ever seen. I got to see the car the motor was from in the car running. The owner would not sell me it, then a week later the car was in the junk yard because of the rust issue. So that is why I pulled it, never checked the head from going off the owners WORD. Learn from me friends, the oilpan is not the only place to check! Damn my noob ass for not pulling that valve cover. Good thing is NOTHING is broken/cracked just not taken care of.

SOOOOO I guess the m50 is worth rebuilding and boosting. The walls on the cylinders were spotless and clean. Looks to be no ring leaks etc.

So all I need is , head bolts(cheap till boost APR), gasket set, main and rod bearings.

Problem is I have 800 to my name for parts and need other shit now. So what I WANT to do is get it ready for boost NOW you know? APR bolts are like 180? Cometic .140 MLS headgasket is like 215. That is the most expensive parts I need internal wise.

I am a do it once right kinda guy as you all have been reading and seeing. I just would hate to pay 160ish for the replacement gasket kit and then need to tear down again to go boost with the right stuff. But I can snag another block for like 50 bucks and rebuild that then swap the head over...

So much to think over, I guess just get the m50 cleaned, cammed and installed.
                          Last edited by F34R; 08-03-2012, 06:50 PM.

Current cars:
                          ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                          ~ '87 535
                          ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                          ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

if i recall diesel will clean all the gunk and carbon out of the [/I]head....pretty sure it's diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Mike The Bavarian View Post
                              if i recall diesel will clean all the gunk and carbon out of the [/I]head....pretty sure it's diesel
                              At the shop we use a mixture of kerosene and degreaser mix. Will peel just about anything including paint lol. So rubber gloving it tomorrow and the head, trays and valve cover are getting a much needed bath. Then I will check the valves and make sure they are seated tight.

So making a list and checking it twice for blunttech. I have not come this far give up and not drive it this year. This weekend or not, I will be driving this year! I have till LATE fall to enter in a few events.

Current cars:
                              ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                              ~ '87 535
                              ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                              ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Bad news! Looks like you've got it in the right direction again. Keep the pictures coming! Subbed
                                r3vlimited Lanyard Group Buy!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X