Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

e30 316 build x2 (m52/m50, turbo, 3pcs bottle caps etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sick build

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
      Is that an off the shelf manifold or custom made?
      Excited to see how fast it is once this round of work is done
      Off the shelf one. It was only 400€ in sweden so really good deal. Million times better thabnthe chinese eBay intakes that ypu can get for same price. But after I posted link of those to Finnish bmw forum, all were sold in no time :D should be much faster. I got now 4-way mac valve for boost control, so now we can raise to boost to desired 1.5-1.6bar area. Last summer we only ran 1-1.2 bar boost level. The ms3 is only for driveability upgrade plus the fancy stuff like proper flex fuel, boost by gear etc. and the intake to level out the AFR between cylinders. The m50 intake doesn't provide even AFR on boost.

Originally posted by efficient View Post
      Sick build
      Thanks!
      Last edited by pazi88; 01-09-2018, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
        Off the shelf one. It was only 400€ in sweden so really good deal. Million times better thabnthe chinese eBay intakes that ypu can get for same price. But after I posted link of those to Finnish bmw forum, all were sold in no time :D should be much faster. I got now 4-way mac valve for boost control, so now we can raise to boost to desired 1.5-1.6bar area. Last summer we only ran 1-1.2 bar boost level. The ms3 is only for driveability upgrade plus the fancy stuff like proper flex fuel, boost by gear etc. and the intake to level out the AFR between cylinders. The m50 intake doesn't provide even AFR on boost.

Thanks!
        Can you post a link for the intake manifold? That is exactly what I have been looking for. If I know the makers name or can be put on a waiting list that is fine. I would really like to purchase one.
        How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
          Can you post a link for the intake manifold? That is exactly what I have been looking for. If I know the makers name or can be put on a waiting list that is fine. I would really like to purchase one.
          Here is the link but currently it isn't even working properly. https://www.j-spec.se/motor/motor/in...d_grp-s1%2F505

But you can try asking them.

Comment

Should be a fair amount of extra beans with another half a bar in it
            sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Should be a fair amount of extra beans with another half a bar in it
              With e85 that should be close to 700hp if everything works out fine. One engine in Finland with very closely same setup, gave out 666hp with slightly less agressive cams.

Just noticed that ms3 allows antilag in addition to everything else :devil:

Comment

Will it do flat shifting, triggering off a clutch switch?
                sigpic

Comment

Will it do flat shifting, triggering off a clutch switch?
                  Yes as the ms2 can also. I have now clutch switch in both cars using OEM cruise parts:

Previously we had our own mount, but it was too flimsy.

Comment

Deluxe. That'll sound so good if you've set it up for "antilag" style flat shifting.

Cannot wait to see videos of this in action.
                    I've been tossing up a holiday to northern Europe for a while, I might have to time it with the airstrip meet that you guys do.
                    sigpic

Comment

Here is the link but currently it isn't even working properly. https://www.j-spec.se/motor/motor/in...d_grp-s1%2F505

But you can try asking them.
                      I went to this website and it doesn't show the intake manifold out of stock, it doesn't show it at all. They must have stopped making them all together.
                      How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                        I went to this website and it doesn't show the intake manifold out of stock, it doesn't show it at all. They must have stopped making them all together.
                        Yeah that's why I said that maybe you should ask them I they will have it available in future.

Comment

Here's new video of the ONE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc3rFHl-PWc

And things have continued after that video was made. With the throttle body, we did end up with this solution:

There was also lot of other little things to get all fit together with that intake, but here it's painted, installed and charge pipe mocked up:

Very few pics, but upcoming video shows everything in more detail..

We also installed PLX wideband lambda:

Then back to my e30. Took the intake off to change the starter and fit the oil and fuel pressure sensors:

The broken starter. Works otherwise well, but I think that the solenoid is busted. The starter just rotates but the wheel doesn't move by it's own.

I added oil pressure and temp sensor to the filter housing, but forgot to take a pic. But here is the fuel pressure sensor mounted to fuel rail:

Fits well:

The pressure sensors will be wired to the new ms3x megasquirt. Related to that I took apart the front of the car. I had to replace the broken washer fluid hose and the weak spal fan will be replaced by much more powerful e39 fan that will be PWM controlled my ms3x:

The e39 fan assembly is not direct bolt on, but should fit with some massaging. This fan is wrong one because I accidentally bought relay controlled one instead of the PWM controlled:

The fan will be controlled by the ms3x based on coolant temp at the radiator. For that I modded second m52 coolant temp with helicoil to fit the radiator end and I will run wires from that to extra 5v analog input on megasquirt:

And here is the correct e39 with the PWM control unit:

Unfortunately I had lot of problems fitting that because of my measuring error. With the thick intercooler I have very little room between the cooler and rad. And I did destroy that new fan in the process. But eventually I did manage to fit the "wrong" e39 fan to the rad and installed the PWM unit to that.

The radiator sits now 5mm closer to engine than normally, but you hardly even notice that:

And all fits behind the IC now:

I also changed my mind fitting the ms3x to the ms41 case, so it's now inside e30 m10 carb control box, which is huge:

That is now almost ready and I could test how it works. And everything it tested worked as should. Here is me testing the PWM control to the fan:
                          Last edited by pazi88; 03-05-2018, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Sorry if this has already been addressed but, any specific reason you're still running the m52 intake manifold rather than the more open m50 one?
                            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                              Sorry if this has already been addressed but, any specific reason you're still running the m52 intake manifold rather than the more open m50 one?
                              I don't see reason why not to. With m52 intake I get much better low end and off boost drive-ability and it's not that big restriction as people think. I may loose few hp (probably not) at top end with that but I can get as many HP I wan't just raising the boost. It's all about the area under the curve. Not how high your peak hp is.

Comment

I don't see reason why not to. With m52 intake I get much better low end and off boost drive-ability and it's not that big restriction as people think. I may loose few hp (probably not) at top end with that but I can get as many HP I wan't just raising the boost. It's all about the area under the curve. Not how high your peak hp is.
                                Makes a whole lot of sense to me. Are you running different cams in this engine too? If I recall, I remember you talking about running an m54b30 intake cam (with modified vanos gear) in one of your vids but I dont know if you said you'd be running it on this engine.
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X