Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.5bar vs 5.0bar

Hi guys,
    Starting a list of all the ins and outs of an S54 swap and the first one is I have a 3.5 bar fuel pump installed in the car now, S54 uses a 5.0 bar pump.
    Can I get away with using the lower pressure pump and what be consequences if I tried it?
    Thanks,
    Chris

What pump are you using right now?

Pumps are rated by flow rate at a given fuel system pressure. Not all fuel pumps are created equal: some can flow nearly the same fuel at higher pressures, and some can't. There's a lot of aftermarket pumps that are fine with either 3.5 or 5.0 bar.

Like would an M42 stock fuel pump work? Some of them might work fine, but if you can't deliver sufficient fuel, your engine can lean out and cause engine damage. Like am I certain that an M42 pump would cause engine damage? No, but it's a cheap thing to address.

The system pressure, of course, is regulated by the fuel pump regulator.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

I'm using both the fuel pumps from a 1987 M6, an in tank lifter pump and the bigger one with separate fuel filter just outside the tank.

Comment

Gotcha. I am sure you can reuse the in-tank lift pump. As for the high pressure pump, it appears to be a Bosch 69418 pump. I believe it can operate at 5 bar, but information on it is a bit sparse.

If it were me, I would reuse the stock lift pump and feed a brand new and quite affordable inline pump like a Walbro GSL392, a 255 liter/hr pump.

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Thank you, that`s good info, I was mostly worried about having open the tank up and start screwing around trying to get a different pump to fit in there.

Comment

Doing an S54 swap on an E24?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
              Doing an S54 swap on an E24?
              Well I hope I don't get kicked off the forum but I'm planning on putting the S54 into a 1972 Datsun 240z, I have an S38B35 in the 240z at the moment which is wonderful but after I started reading up on the s54 it was pretty obvious that it really is the ultimate straight six.
              Attached Files

Comment

That will be a pretty killer build. One of my favorite cars of the era and a great motor!
                89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
                I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Working...
                X