Flywheel dowel pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flywheel dowel pins

While getting my flywheel resurfaced, I significantly mangled one of the three little dowel pins that you have to remove to get a proper resurfacing done (p/n 11221744338).

Are these dowels strictly necessary for clearances or balancing the flywheel, or are they just used for aligning the pressure plate on installation?

I've read different things on different forums (for other cars, mind you), and can't find a consistent answer on if I can just slap the flywheel and clutch back in without them or if those dowels are 100% needed to keep the pressure plate in more close alignment than the bolt holes can.

Anyone know?
    1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
    1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
    1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

I managed to snap one off in my flywheel way back and was told that it wouldn't be a problem by a fairly reputable source, and that it probably wouldn't have been worth it to pay to have it removed by the machine shop on my then extremely tight budget. Tens of thousands of miles later, revving to 7,000rpm+ on my turbo M42 then 6,500rpm on my turbo M20 and I have yet to have any issues.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 1-26

Comment

One missing probably isn't a big deal, but 2 or 3 and there is no way to properly align pressure plate to the flywheel.

If you got them out, why not just buy new ones and be done with it?

Comment

Ah, thanks for the help. I've got all 3, two of which are fine, one of which is a bit mangled.
        I'm guessing, thanks to Andrew, that it's probably fine. I'm just getting impatient getting this car back on the road - there have been so many little setbacks like this that take a week to sort out!

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
          I managed to snap one off in my flywheel way back and was told that it wouldn't be a problem by a fairly reputable source, and that it probably wouldn't have been worth it to pay to have it removed by the machine shop on my then extremely tight budget. Tens of thousands of miles later, revving to 7,000rpm+ on my turbo M42 then 6,500rpm on my turbo M20 and I have yet to have any issues.
          Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
          One missing probably isn't a big deal, but 2 or 3 and there is no way to properly align pressure plate to the flywheel.

If you got them out, why not just buy new ones and be done with it?

Agreed. I was the one who actually suggested Varg would be fine with 2 of the pins. The local company that does all our shop flywheels told me a long time ago, the pins aren't large enough to throw off the balance, and are just there to ensure perfect alignment (they have been there since 1980 - I trust their advice). Been running them sans 1 pin when they are snapped off clean with no issues.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Cool cool. Thanks for all the input - hopefully this thread ends up useful for others..

I can just hammer them back in now i'm guessing. Bummer than no dealer in canada has any left.
            Last edited by Sea Aych; 06-03-2019, 08:57 AM.

Comment

I have used 6mm drill rod when I didn't want to bother ordering replacements...

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Or pick up a dowel pin from a hardware store. Doesn't have to be a BMW part.

Comment

Working...
                X