Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wishing i didnt just buy a late model...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wishing i didnt just buy a late model...

first off, i dont know if this is the right place to post this, move if needed.

i bought my first e30 a couple weeks ago, a 1991 325i. i guess i didn't do enough research, as i had no fucking idea that plastic bumper cars have lower rear fenders. maybe its just the pictures im finding, but all low late models just dont look like they sit right to me, the rear fenders always seem to tuck too much tire. whats everyones take on this?

can anyone show me some pictures to change my mind? i dont want to drop doll hairs on it if its never going to have the right stance.

here it is the day i got it

135,000 miles, runs strong, got an amazing deal on it. i was really happy. super bummed out right now.
    Attached Files

Most people prefer that style, the bumpers are less obnoxious.

Comment

You have got to be kidding me. I would kill to have a late model, but all I could get was an early. There are absolutely none around me.
      1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
      You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

no no no. i like the plastic bumpers. its the rear fenders that are killing me.

Comment

Early fenders FTW.

Sorry 'bout that.

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I agree the early rear fenders are way better. It's not that bad though, you can still get late models sitting pretty .
            Byron
            Leichtbau

Comment

Early fenders<Late bumpers, skirts, valences, options, etc. Besides you make up for it with that nice forward rake that looks so sweet and aggressive. Not to mention late tails look so much better and to me more euro.
              1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

to Holland - ya, i agree that plastic bumpers look great, but i can do a plastic bumper swap no problem. i cant swap rear fenders... literally the only thing i can think of that i couldnt do. fuck.

i keep looking at pictures of Stephen's car and it looks soooooo money. even before the current baller as fuck wheels.

Comment

Meh, I'll take the late fenders if it means I can get plastic bumpers and actually have a rear valence to go with them.
                  Matt

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
                  I pack my CD player with asbestos. Those mother fuckers pay dearly for stealing my shit.
                  Originally posted by kronus
                  try whacking parts of the motor with a wrench while yelling "YOU WANT SUMMA DIS? HUH?"
                  Originally posted by chadthestampede
                  This is like a reverse build thread; it starts out nice and gets shitty.

Comment

Originally posted by benjamin View Post
                    to Holland - ya, i agree that plastic bumpers look great, but i can do a plastic bumper swap no problem. i cant swap rear fenders... literally the only thing i can think of that i couldnt do. fuck.

i keep looking at pictures of Stephen's car and it looks soooooo money. even before the current baller as fuck wheels.
                    Late rear valence swap isn't exactly easy either. you can run the same setups on a late car, you just need to be a bit more creative.

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
                      you can run the same setups on a late car, you just need to be a bit more creative.
                      False. Early arches have way more room, plus you can go an inch and a half lower, which gets you more camber and helps you fit even wider wheels.

It's not impossible to swap the rear fenders... maybe a possible future project
                      Byron
                      Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
                        False. Early arches have way more room, plus you can go an inch and a half lower, which gets you more camber and helps you fit even wider wheels.

It's not impossible to swap the rear fenders... maybe a possible future project
                        I think your sig picture proves otherwise. Stunning setups can still be achieved with late fenders. I don't even own a late model and I think I'm doing well with my early car but I would still love a late model.

Comment

No, it isn't impossible...but even when my Dad (retired after 50 years as a body man, he was damn good) was in his prime, he would pass on it.

Just never gonna be the same, unless it were a total chassis rebuild, like "tubed" and 4 link kind of crap, when all the stress has been taken off the unibody structure.

All the layers of metal come together on that rear arch. No fucking way would I ever expect a replacement to actually work.

Any of you guys ever take a tape measure to both? I have 1 of each, believe me I have.

You would have to stitch together dead center on body panels. Masters only, please.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Closing SOON!

Comment

i do agree that Byron's sig is a prime example of a great looking, low late model.

i guess i should stop bitching. my friends mom sold it to me for less than a set of ground controls go for. (not like she needed the money, it was parked in the garage next to her 15 year old daughters X3)

Comment

Working...
                              X