Z3 Diff Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z3 Diff Question

Is there a way to determine the gear ratio on a Z3 Diff from the last 7 numbers of the Vin? I was told it is a "3.2 LSD." Its from a 98 2.8 Manual Z3. I assume that it is a 3.23 LSD given the year of the car and motor/trans. Appreciate the help.

Should be 3.23 or 3.15. Non-M Z3's used a torsion diff. Only the MZ3 had an 3.23 clutch type LSD.
    sigpic
    1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
    I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

Do you not have it yet? Is the ratio tag not on it?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
        Do you not have it yet? Is the ratio tag not on it?
        There isn't a tag on either of my Z3 diffs.
        My Garage
        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Funky. My dad bought two 3.07 torsen Z3 diffs and I could have sworn they had tags.

Comment

Hmm, I wonder if it has anything to do with the model. Both of mine are are from a 2.5 Z3. One from a 2001 M54b25, and the other from a 1999 M52tub25 (I believe thats a 3.15 ratio). Both are also extremely low miles (less than 25,000 miles when they came into my possession) so I don't believe the tags were removed.

Edit: Well I guess the M52tuB25 Z3 was technically labeled as a 2.3 liter
            My Garage
            2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
            1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
            1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
            Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

I was just looking at a 3.15 diff from a '99 2.5 Z3 and couldn't tell if it was open or LSD other than rotating the shafts. Is there a way to check this by the diff sticker? Or vin for that matter?

Comment

if you have the differential and you are curious about the ratio, just spin the pinion and count the rotations out. You can do it 10x for more accuracy, just requires a little more math. edit: I'm an idiot.

You can determine the car's vin attributes and then see if you can find a reference table for the combination/diff ratio. For example, my e46 touring had manual and sport package and is a 323i. You can then determine that it had a 3.46 in the rear based on other information on the internet.

Search for a vin decoder. It likely won't tell you the ratio directly, but it will probably help you find it.
                Last edited by Jaxx_; 02-13-2019, 01:38 AM.
                '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by rcarradine View Post
                  I was just looking at a 3.15 diff from a '99 2.5 Z3 and couldn't tell if it was open or LSD other than rotating the shafts. Is there a way to check this by the diff sticker? Or vin for that matter?
                  It should have a Torsen LSD.

Torsen's have a blue washer around the speed sensor.
                  "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                  88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                  89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                  91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
                  X