No announcement yet.

Let’s talk about Antifa.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but seriously, after like a year and a half, i really did want this thread to be a philosophical discussion and not us making each other poo-laugh and then flinging it

ICE's actions in particular are relevant to me because my wife's student visa has expired, USCIS has dragged their feet for almost a year now on her work visa, and even that we got married because we each found our respective partner is not a guarantee that they won't knock on our door. i took her to work with me while i was doing maintenance on sunday because they were doing sweeps again, and i heard reports from locals about spotting ICE agents taking action in town, that day

it's difficult to listen to arguments about how people should "just take the legal route" when they don't have any experience actually helping someone through it

it's even more difficult for me to imagine how we have pulled the rug out from under people who are legally seeking asylum via a process we have defined:

by saying "oh you broke the law by doing that thing we said was first on the list, off to a private prison we're paying a contractor for with you"

i can't back down on the position that that's unethical and illegal, and not only it is our own government practicing fascism, it is coming out of our paychecks to the tune of over $700/day, per detained person. if you don't want to be mad about how we're treating refugees, at least be mad that you're stuck with the fucking bill
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

While I get what your saying, and do empathize with you, there is some self responsibility at play. The rules are all laid out. It is not the countries fault some did not follow rules or honor their visa. Your beef however should be with the law-makers and not the men and women who enforce the law.

I have had many employees over the years in your wife’s shoes and always stressed to them the importance of getting their legal status rectified (inherited employees grandfathered in before e-verify). I am proud to have helped a half dozen guys become citizens who were illegal. The last was about 5 years ago though, and I don’t know how much rules/policies have changed since then. It used to take about 2 years and a good amount of legal fees but it was possible to become a citizen if one was committed. Every one of them were guys who came when they were in their late teens early 20’s with thouht of I will make as much $$$ as I can here until caught. Then life happened for them, got married, had children, and it’s a whole new ballgame at that point. All of a sudden things that didn’t matter before became overwhelming problems based on their new life situation. Anyway, after they passed and received full citizenship we always threw a party for them. It’s awesome to see when that weight is lifted off of them, and their families. Hopefully your wife gets on the right side of the legal system sooner rather than later, I know it’s a major source of stress.
      Last edited by naplesE30; 07-18-2019, 06:24 PM.

Comment

The US issued about non-immigrant 12,000,000 visas last year, with ~600,000 work visas, and ~400,000 student visas within that group, with the largest remainder ~7,000,000 being for travel, and over 1,000,000 (non-border area) travel visas for Mexico alone.

Basically, if someone wanted to come to the US and could show an immigration officer that they already have a job in their home country, some means of paying for a trip, and the willingness to wait 90ish days for issuance they could easily overstay without risking an illegal entry. As far as I can tell, we have about an 8-10% overstay each year, with the vast majority exiting the country, and I think that's the amount of slippage that seems reasonable, and within the capacity of the economic system to absorb without difficulty. But 200-400,000 more people per year who are forced to work in generally less than optimal positions does not seem like it will be good for anyone, immigrant, or citizen.

All that said, getting to the US legally and staying here is basically like getting accepted to a good college, you have to have the "right stuff," and if not, it's as if you don't exist. That has to change as we are part of humanity as a whole and really should do as much as possible, without destroying ourselves, to raise others up when others (read their countries) let them down in a big way. At present that seems to mean ~500,000 people per year are allowed to come join us legally, and that's not an insignificant amount of people, but it probably is well within out means help more.

For reference, that means that we allow .00007 of the world's population to come in each year, or another way 1,400 people per day are approved for legal immigration, which is about enough to replace everyone who dies from cancer in the entire nation.
        Last edited by roguetoaster; 07-18-2019, 06:33 PM.

Comment

resurrecting this thread, because we are currently satisfying another of the UN's conditions to define genocide with forced sterilizations of ICE detainees

i wish i felt more anger and less despair

past:
          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
          1985 323i baur
          current:

Comment

probably just another baseless political stunt the dems are up to.

...like everything else.
            Originally posted by wholepailofwater
            Q
            :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
              probably just another baseless political stunt the dems are up to.

...like everything else.

It's a real thing.

Why does undergoing forced gynecological procedures without fully understanding or consenting to them play like a stunt to you? Why does this have to be political?

1990 BMW 325iC Triple Black Hard Top, Self-Wrenched, Original Owner Family

Comment

nah, we're just calling the new york times fake news now, for being too centrist

i think the answer to your question, phillip, is that it's easier to convince yourself something is false than process what should be a horrifying thing to anyone
                past:
                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                1985 323i baur
                current:

Comment

Wtf are you talking about.

“it’s a real thing”

mass hysterectomies? Really? Did I miss the one day investigation that supports that?

and nytimes is shit, but who cares? What does that even have to do with the reality of that allegation? That’s all it is now As of rn so not sure what the news outlet has to do with anything at this point.

But of course right by election time. No surprise. If that doesn’t elicit any skepticism.. well... idk what to say.

Also wtf does this have to do with the bitch boy antifa losers?

Q

Comment

I am shocked this thread didn't get locked after Hoofenstein ended your life on page 1.

Antifa are just a bunch of ungrateful pussies who are bitter that they have to be alive at all. Just do us all a favor and kill yourselves.
                    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                    Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                    Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Wtf are you talking about.

“it’s a real thing”

mass hysterectomies? Really? Did I miss the one day investigation that supports that?

and nytimes is shit, but who cares? What does that even have to do with the reality of that allegation? That’s all it is now As of rn so not sure what the news outlet has to do with anything at this point.

But of course right by election time. No surprise. If that doesn’t elicit any skepticism.. well... idk what to say.

Also wtf does this have to do with the bitch boy antifa losers?
                      Um, no one said "mass hysterectomies" except you. **The whistleblower complaint and the investigation is a Real Thing** -- feel free to read in greater detail from another source:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ty/3482369001/

The timing is the timing, not everything is a conspiracy. And I have no idea why this is in the "Antifa" thread.
                      Immigration attorneys said detainees described experiences where parts of their Fallopian tube and their ovaries had been removed while in custody.

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                        resurrecting this thread, because we are currently satisfying another of the UN's conditions to define genocide with forced sterilizations of ICE detainees

i wish i felt more anger and less despair

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/16/u...r-georgia.html
                        There's no "we," the articles are naming one doctor at a privately run hospital.
                        My Feedback

Comment

this is in the antifa thread because in general, anti-fascists tend to have a problem with genocide.
                          past:
                          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                          1985 323i baur
                          current:

Comment

Originally posted by phillipj View Post

Um, no one said "mass hysterectomies" except you. **The whistleblower complaint and the investigation is a Real Thing** -- feel free to read in greater detail from another source:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ty/3482369001/

The timing is the timing, not everything is a conspiracy. And I have no idea why this is in the "Antifa" thread.
                            loool

The whistleblower and nacy poloci both used the term 'mass' according to NPR

Democratic lawmakers and immigration advocacy groups are calling for the Department of Homeland Security's inspector general to investigate the claims, centered on conditions at a facility in Georgia.

"If true, the appalling conditions described in the whistleblower complaint – including allegations of mass hysterectomies being performed on vulnerable immigrant women – are a staggering abuse of human rights," said Pelosi.
                            On Tuesday, a group of 168 members of Congress sent a letter urging DHS Inspector General Joseph Cuffari to investigate the allegations of mass hysterectomies. They're demanding an urgent response and a briefing on the status of the investigation by Sept. 25.
                            Q

Comment

loool

The whistleblower and nacy poloci both used the term 'mass' according to NPR

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/16/91339...of-ice-detaine

In the articles posted here previously, the only ones in this discussion, that term was not used. Sounds like there could've been more than a handful though?

Seriously, I don't understand the political point scoring mindset you, or some others have on something like this. It's a pretty shitty scenario. Real people's lives. But you take the time out to dismiss it as a political stunt. I just don't get that. Maybe a bunch of poor immigrants got their uteruses taken out for who knows why, some idiot doctor, or just disorganization? and it isn't just immediately a conspiracy by the political party you don't like.

Comment

Originally posted by phillipj View Post

In the articles posted here previously, the only ones in this discussion, that term was not used. Sounds like there could've been more than a handful though?

Seriously, I don't understand the political point scoring mindset you, or some others have on something like this. It's a pretty shitty scenario. Real people's lives. But you take the time out to dismiss it as a political stunt. I just don't get that. Maybe a bunch of poor immigrants got their uteruses taken out for who knows why, some idiot doctor, or just disorganization? and it isn't just immediately a conspiracy by the political party you don't like.
                                who knows why?

probably the sitting president addressing crowds of white supporters telling them they have "good genes".

it's not even a dog whistle anymore, it's out loud.
                                past:
                                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                                1985 323i baur
                                current:

Comment

Working...
                                X