moziller's Alpine White 1988 325is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

moziller's Alpine White 1988 325is

A few years ago I had no idea e30s existed. Saw one drive past me at school, looked it up, found r3v, and it all went downhill from there...

I figured it was time to stop lurking and share my car. Bought it back in August 2017 after about 6 months of searching. I discovered Glen Shelly auto brokers and Alex connected me to the seller. This car has had 6 owners before me, but thankfully each one of them took great care of it. It's got maintenance records since 2001 and checked most of my boxes.

This is my daily, track car, road trip machine, and whatever else I need it to be.

Car Info
    Type: AA13
    Model: 325is – USA
    Engine: M20
    Displacement: 2.50
    Transmission: Manual
    Color: Alpine White 2 (218)
    Upholstery: Black Leather (0203)
    Production Date: 6/30/1988
    209 Limited Slip Differential
    324 Front “iS” Spoiler (sadly MIA)
    401 Power Sunroof
    410 Power Windows
    481 Sport Driver and Passenger Seats
    530 Air Conditioning
    540 Cruise Control
    551 (13-Button) On-Board Computer
    562 Map Light Mirror
    708 M Tech 1 Steering Wheel

Engine
    Miller 3-Inch Intake / MAF Conversion with Kamotors CAI
    Miller Tune
    19-Pound Fuel Injectors
    Electric Cooling Fan
    Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator
    Billy Boat Tri-Flow Cat-Back Exhaust
    Dyno run at 148whp and 166 lb/ft of torque

Transmission
    Z4 Shifter

Suspension
    ‘96 e36 M3 steering rack
    H&R Sport Springs
    Bilstein Sport Shocks
    22mm Front Sway Bar
    18mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar
    Adjustable Sway Bar End Links
    Reinforced Rear Sway Bar Attachments
    Treehouse Racing Solid Control Arm Bushings
    Garagistic Front strut brace
    Hawk HPS brake pads

Wheels
    RONAL LS 15x7.5
    currently on Dunlop Direzza Dz102 205/50/15
    Toyo R888r 225/50/15

Interior
    Mint dash
    Working R134 A/C
    MTech 1 steering wheel
    ZHP shift knob
    Gearswitch cupholder

Audio
    Alpine CDE-147BT USB/bluetooth
    Alpine Type R components
    Alpine SWR-8D2 subwoofer
    38hz tuned sub box (luke box?)
    Alpine MRP-300 and MRP-500 amps

Exterior
    Plastic Bumper swap
    Projector Headlights
    Euro Grills
    Euro Blind Spot Driver’s Mirror
    Euro Rear License Plate Filler
    Antenna delete after it tried to escape

Most of these parts were installed before I bought the car, but it was set up exactly how I wanted. I've put 20,000 miles on it and done a few small fixes and modifications in the last couple years.

To Do List:
    remote entry key
    fix surface rust spots
    -pass fender
    -pop out windows
    fix clear coat on passenger rear fender
    replace seat shocks
    driver door card clips
    front/back seat rips
    AC button backlight
    HVAC fiber optics
    fix horn
    low beam
    turn signal lense
    track wheels
    iS lip
    M20 build?

Anyways, here's some more pictures

Track day at High Plains Raceway last year where my headlight got cracked by an open-wheel car which is why its taped up now, and also for race car street cred

Soon after convincing my college buddy to buy an e30

And a few sunset photos from yesterday. My iS lip was stolen on a road trip back from South Carolina so if anyone has one to sell let me know

The plan is to keep it somewhat OEM+. The suspension is sorted since the rack swap last year, but now I want more power- so hopefully this thread turns into an M20 build with ITBs and the works
    Last edited by moziller; 04-15-2020, 01:06 AM.

Great looking car! Looks like we have similar build styles. I'll be building out a mild 2.7l stroker once I get the rear suspension and 5 speed swap done in my car.

Keep up the work! Looking forward to seeing the progress!

Comment

Great looking E30! You have impeccable taste. ;D

Comment

Nice car! Very tasteful mods
        '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
        '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Fantastic looking E30!

I remember the days of convincing all of my buddies to buy E30's. Great times.

Those rims and tires look just the right amount of meaty. Reminds me of my old E30's final wheel/tire setup.
          My previous build (currently E30-less)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

great intro. good lookin' car!

How is that Miller MAF working out for you? How long have you been running it?

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
              Great looking E30! You have impeccable taste. ;D
              As do you sir

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
              great intro. good lookin' car!

How is that Miller MAF working out for you? How long have you been running it?
              It was installed when I bought the car with a hot air filter on it. It feels better than the other e30s I've driven as far as response and power. The only issue is a sort of surging idle on rare occasions. I think it has something to do with temperature but I haven't pinpointed the cause. Other than that its been great.

Comment

Originally posted by moziller View Post
                Thanks everyone!

As do you sir

It was installed when I bought the car with a hot air filter on it. It feels better than the other e30s I've driven as far as response and power. The only issue is a sort of surging idle on rare occasions. I think it has something to do with temperature but I haven't pinpointed the cause. Other than that its been great.
                That's good to hear. Mine had had an issue with the voltage it's sending to the ECU so I've been running lean. Miller is terrible with customer service, worse than anyone I've ever dealt with. I wouldn't expect any support if it's ever needed, so I'm glad it's still working right. Mine was great when it was great.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

I really like it...I like it 'lot
                  1991 318is
                  2004 330ci
                  2011 335d

Comment

Awesome car! Love the mods, well done.

Comment

Great looking car! Glad to see another Colorado owner.

Comment

soon...

Comment

You guys ever start a project you think is gonna take 30min and then it takes 2 weeks? This is now a seat rail restoration thread.

So I bought some Recaro SRDs! I've wanted a pair of these seats since before I got the car. Honestly not really sure if they are SRD, SR, or SPD but they are legitimate Recaro. They came with Wedge brackets which were super low and a huge pain to install, but the biggest problem was that they didn't slide back far enough (I'm 6'2). I bought some Massive adapters to attach to the stock sliders, and then I took a look at the stock sliders...

They had quite a bit of surface rust and I didn't want to reinstall them as they were. Never done this sort of thing before, but I picked up a dremel and got to work.

I used some naval jelly to get into the pitted areas

I wasn't able to get into every spot because these seem to be impossible to completely disassemble, but here's what they looked like after the dremel:

Then it was time for priming and painting:

Not the greatest paint job, but definitely a huge improvement. Gave me some confidence to eventually tackle the small bits of rust on the car. Does anyone knows where I can find some Alpine White II paint?

Now onto the seat installation.

These were an absolute breeze to install compared to the Wedge bracket. There just wasn't enough room to get more than half a turn with a wrench, and no way to get a ratchet in. Whoever designed them must have had some open head ratchet wrench in mind, which i could not find in 17mm. With regular tools it was a huge pain in the ass and I didn't want to deal with it in the future.

These Massive adapters also have a slight rake, which makes the seat way more comfortable. And since they're on the stock rails, they slide back more than enough. I also fixed the slider bar, since the plastic bit on the end was broken on the passenger side, which was fun when I drove people around. Also broke the other one during disassembly but who's counting?

I know you guys have been waiting on the edge of your seat for this for 2 whole weeks, waiting and wondering each day- "Why is moziller taking so long to install these seats? Why did he have to leave us on such a cliffhanger post? Why hasn't Bitcoin mooned yet?", so without further ado, here are the SRDs!

Also here is my steering wheel, rewrapped with ////////////////////////////M color threads by Stitched Wheels:

And that's it! Loving these seats, they're a big improvement over the sport seats for both comfort and bolstering. Makes it feel like a different car. Next project is fixing up the front valence once I find some AWII paint. So, does anybody wanna buy some wedge brackets?

Comment

Originally posted by moziller View Post
                            I know you guys have been waiting on the edge of your seat for this for 2 whole weeks, waiting and wondering each day- "Why is moziller taking so long to install these seats? Why did he have to leave us on such a cliffhanger post? Why hasn't Bitcoin mooned yet?"
                            It's like you've been reading my mind.

The seats and steering wheel look great. Nice work.

Comment

Working...
                            X