No announcement yet.

Anyone Install OEM Antenna/Radio Amplifier Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, photo dump time now that I am more or less done. Radio reception is pretty good, but not perfect. While driving I will get intermittent background static as I pass through the various RF interference patterns out there. But it is better than any of the previous antenna setups. Most cars for the last 20 years have had a multiple-antenna system in them to manage the interference patterns, so unless I really decide to go nuts, this is more than good enough.

I pulled the front and rear seats, plus the other stuff holding the carpet down, and then half-removed the carpet to access the areas I would need to route cables through. I started by positioning the VW antenna cable so that the head unit connector would be exactly where it needed to be. The best way to access it is through the glove box, by removing the trim panel cover on the left side. Here's where the new connector ended up.

Next I had to route the new cable down the transmission tunnel and behind the rear seat. Of course, my little "helper" made an appearance and proceeded to attack all things that moved or looked like wires. To hold things in place while the carpet went back in, I used strips of duct tape to hold the cables down (2 x RCA's, VW antenna, custom dedicated fused power+ground for head unit). Also, if you are wondering what all the stuff under the carpet is, I put in ~60lbs of sound deadening (Damplifier) and covered it in 3mm closed cell foam sheeting as part of my sound system overhaul. I'll get to why I have a towel in there at the end of the post.

I knocked out another one of the rubber plugs in the pass-through grommet thingy and ran the cable to the trunk through there. With some tweaks to the path under the rear seat, the length of the VW cable was PERFECT.

With the head unit reinstalled, all was well up front.

Next I test-fitted the VW base with the little machined adapter. So far so good...

From the exterior, the alignment of the base + antenna can be accurately described as "cheap boob job."

I will make an aluminum brace for it at some point, but I found that I could stuff a chunk of 25mm thick high density neoprene foam in between the antenna base and the body's sheet metal bracket to achieve a perfect antenna angle. Good enough for now.

OK, so the towel I had in the floor pan. Not only is it useful, but it has lots of sentimental value, being pilfered from the pool area of the hotel my wife and I stayed at during our honeymoon many years ago. What better use for a treasured possession than to sop up the moldy water that had managed to accumulate under the carpet in my old car (besides, it isn't the only one we acquired).

I have been trying to figure out how the water got there and have not found an answer. This looks like a classic "crushed sunroof / door sill drain" issue, but all of my sill drains are nice and open, and a water test up in the sunroof shows everything draining perfectly. Based on what was wet, water was getting in down near the bottom-rear of the door, and it was UNDER the carpet rather than ON the carpet. I can find no rust, my door seals are pretty new and seal well, so it is a mystery. My area is slated to get a ton of rain for the next week, so I will be inspecting back there frequently to see if any more gets in.

I dealt with the moist carpet parring by shoving some scrap metal under the carpet and sticking a spare 140mm PC case fan in there for a couple of days over the weekend.

Today (2 days after closing it all up) I pulled the carpet up and it was damp again, but I think it is because the foam under the carpet is really good at retaining water. Even when it feels dry to the touch, squeezing it seems to release more water. So really, whatever water was in there could have gotten in months ago. Maybe I spilled something or did not have the door properly closed when it rained?
    Last edited by bmwman91; 02-13-2019, 12:57 AM.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

5 minutes later:
      I just got back from removing and reinstalling the passenger side seat. After my little project I could not find my roll of electrical tape. It was bugging me since I assumed I had left it under the carpet. Well, sure enough while proof-reading the post I spotted it. It was exactly where it was in the photo, and all I had to do was remove the front seat to get enough play in the carpet to reach into the big opening under the seat and retrieve it. Double win!?

Comment

Looks great nice work. I am wondering what I would have to move around if I did this down the road. I got rid of my rear antenna and I am using the M3 antenna on the roof.
        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Hmm...for the M3 antenna setup, I am 95% sure that the VW amplifier base won't fit up in the headliner. But, the PCB inside is small and thin, so you could probably remove the plastic enclosure, trim the aluminum frame/base and make a little right-angle connector to reach to the antenna mast. The VW antenna cable should be more than long enough to go under the dash, up the A-pillar and over to the front-center of the roof. If you can swap an S54, I have no doubt that you can do the minimal fab work needed to make this stuff fit nicely!

Comment

I found where the water leak was...the moisture barrier in the door was messed up and allowing water to run down into the inside of the car. A little bit of aluminum HVAC tape took care of that.

Comment

Working...
            X