Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 325e speakers: recommendations?

Hey guys,
    I'm the original owner of a 1986 325e with Premium Sound, fader in the dash, amp in the trunk. The head unit is an Alpine CDE-163BT (soon to be replaced by a CDE-HD149BT because the blue Power Antenna lead on the former keeps the antenna raised all the time, even when AM/FM is not selected).

I've been thinking about upgrading the amp and the speakers. But that would be a major project, especially since I don't know very much about audio. Would it make sense to just replace the speakers?

In the front, there are two component speakers with 1" tweeters in the door and 5.25" 40-watt 4-ohm speakers in the kick panels. On the rear deck, there are two coaxial speakers with 40-watt 4-ohm 5.25" speakers and 1" tweeters at an angle beside them. The speakers are stamped "ITT W Germany." They look like they have paper cones. Would it be worthwhile to replace these speakers? If so, what would I replace them with? Advice would be appreciated.

I would replace them. Decent replacements can be had pretty cheap and they'll be able to handle the power of the new headunit. There are many, many options here. Just depends on your budget.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by e30owner View Post
      Hey guys,
      I'm the original owner of a 1986 325e with Premium Sound, fader in the dash, amp in the trunk. The head unit is an Alpine CDE-163BT (soon to be replaced by a CDE-HD149BT because the blue Power Antenna lead on the former keeps the antenna raised all the time, even when AM/FM is not selected).

I've been thinking about upgrading the amp and the speakers. But that would be a major project, especially since I don't know very much about audio. Would it make sense to just replace the speakers?

In the front, there are two component speakers with 1" tweeters in the door and 5.25" 40-watt 4-ohm speakers in the kick panels. On the rear deck, there are two coaxial speakers with 40-watt 4-ohm 5.25" speakers and 1" tweeters at an angle beside them. The speakers are stamped "ITT W Germany." They look like they have paper cones. Would it be worthwhile to replace these speakers? If so, what would I replace them with? Advice would be appreciated.
      After tons of research and after been told that the factory premium speakers are the ultimate option for the rear deck (which you will probably hear a lot too) I came across these speakers made by BSW which in my opinion sound BETTER than the factory premium speakers (i tested those too). You can visit their website and see for yourself the quality of their work and you can find pretty good deals on eBay too. If you're planning to install in your original rear deck housings, these will fit perfectly. Cheers!

Comment

That's the trouble. Many many options. For starters, how many watts do I get? I think the factory amp which I have puts out no more than about 8 watts RMS. Does that mean I should get speakers rated at no more than 40 watts, which is what I currently have?

Comment

That's the trouble. Many many options. For starters, how many watts do I get? I think the factory amp which I have puts out no more than about 8 watts RMS. Does that mean I should get speakers rated at no more than 40 watts, which is what I currently have?
          Those will work perfectly fine with your current head unit. If you want to really squeeze the juice out of them in the future you can get an aftermarket amp. Also try them with premium factory tweeters for full sound range.

Comment

Originally posted by isaac.delgado View Post
            After tons of research and after been told that the factory premium speakers are the ultimate option for the rear deck (which you will probably hear a lot too) I came across these speakers made by BSW which in my opinion sound BETTER than the factory premium speakers (i tested those too). You can visit their website and see for yourself the quality of their work and you can find pretty good deals on eBay too. If you're planning to install in your original rear deck housings, these will fit perfectly. Cheers!
            What's the depth? My speakers are 2-5/8 inches deep.

Comment

What's the depth? My speakers are 2-5/8 inches deep.
              Same depth. They're a perfect fit for the factory deck housings.

Comment

If you have an aftermarket Alpine unit that's amplified (nearly all are these days) then you are using the built in amp on the headunit and not the factory premium sound amp. Either the factory amp is bypassed or new speaker wiring has been run. CDE-HD149BT is 50x4 W max.
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Same depth. They're a perfect fit for the factory deck housings.
                  From what I can see on the bavsound website, they sell only complete upgrade kits, for cars no earlier than 1992, and they're not cheap.

Comment

From what I can see on the bavsound website, they sell only complete upgrade kits, for cars no earlier than 1992, and they're not cheap.
                    Check on eBay, they have pretty good deals on them. I remember I won mine in an auction for $32.

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                      If you have an aftermarket Alpine unit that's amplified (nearly all are these days) then you are using the built in amp on the headunit and not the factory premium sound amp. Either the factory amp is bypassed or new speaker wiring has been run. CDE-HD149BT is 50x4 W max.
                      My install did not use the built-in amp on the head unit. The head unit is connected to the stock amplifier (using speaker-level outputs). I think that if I were to rewire the speakers, I would get a new outboard amp.

Comment

Are these only for the rear deck or also for the doors? What tweeters did you get?

Comment

Check on eBay, they have pretty good deals on them. I remember I won mine in an auction for $32.
                          You honestly lucked out...the only "BSW" speakers on there now are a set of factory BMW speakers that someone put into BSW boxes

Comment

Working...
                          X