e30 steering rack swap help wanted :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 steering rack swap help wanted :)

I've been slowly doing a steering rack swap on my e30. However, now i'm on a time crunch and I find myself running out of time. Would like completed by the weekend.

I've taken all the parts off. modded the steering joint / knuckle, installed new tie rods on the z3 rack. Now i'm attempting to put everything back together.

The steering joint / knuckle slid on pretty easily to the steering column so reinstalling that wasn't too bad, now trying to put the rack up but having trouble aligning all the holes up.

Current tasks:

1) Put up steering rack
    2) connect steering rack with steering joint
    3) reconnect all the PS lines
    4) Install new control arms
    5) install "new" right strut tower (old one got bent.....)
    6) install new brake calipers

If anyone is interested in helping me, would appreciate it a lot! I'll be working on it every day from after work to like 10 pm. I hope that I can finish myself, but seeing if anyone has a little bit of free time or some tips on putting everything back together!

BTW, I'm in south san francisco :)

If someone does come, I'll provide food and beeeeerrr :D

I've had trouble getting the knuckle mounted on the steering rack and then bolting it to the subframe before, surprisingly, only with pre 1990 cars with the rack conversion - guessing I was just tired and annoyed. It isn't a hard job and there are two ways you can go about it...

- pull the pass through bolt out of the steering knuckle (very important, regardless of which way you decide to install the knuckle), clean the threads really well, apply aluminum never-seize to both the steering knuckle and the steering rack and see if you can get everything fitting together

- unbolt the two halves of the knuckle, fit them on the steering column (with the above advice) and steering rack respectively, get the rack installed in the car and then bolt the knuckle together, once it's all in the car

It might help to have a couple long phillips screwdrivers or a pair of punches to help you line up the steering rack in the subframe, this way, you will have a better chance of not losing the shims.

The other stuff is all easy peasy, so just post here if you run into an issue.

Have fun!
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

thanks for the tips!

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
        It isn't a hard job and there are two ways you can go about it...
        What he said.

At this point the rack should be out of the car, the PS hoses disconnected, and the steering knuckle off.

-remove the 13mm bolts from both sides of the steering knuckle
        -wipe down the splines on the rack, steering column, and knuckle to remove any crud
        -apply a liberal amount of anti-seize to the splines on the rack, steering column, and inside the knuckle. Put on more than you need and wipe off the excess later.
        -put the knuckle on the steering shaft, aligned to the splines, and lightly tap it with a hammer until the hole in the clamping part is aligned to the recess in the steering column.
        -Turn steering wheel straight, and center the steering rack
        -place the rack in position on the subframe and align the knuckle to the splined shaft on the rack.
        -lightly tap the knuckle/rack until the hole in the clamp is aligned to the recess in the shaft on the steering rack.
        -use a screw driver to align the steering rack with the holes in the subframe.
        -install spacer between the top of the rack and the top tab on the subframe (can use screw driver to line up the holes).
        -push in bolt from the bottom and loosely thread the nut on top.
        -repeat for other side. Tighten both rack bolts.
        -final align the knuckle and insert/tighten 13mm bolts.
        -bend PS lines to fit, DO NOT kink them, work slowly with small increments.
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

just put up the steering rack. dang was a pain in the butt! im gonna work on the PS lines later this evening i think. im gonna go by this diagram: https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/38673...inghoses-1.jpg

tomorrow, on to the control arms and possibly the strut tower.

friday will be brakes and getting the wheels on :D

then saturday probably getting an alignment.

Comment

didnt get to the PS lines today. i did put the lollipops on control arm. so tomorrow. PS lines, control arms, strut tower. hopefully i can complete those tasks

Comment

Are you using spacers between the rack and the holes? Also, remember that the knuckle doesn't completely cover the input shaft
              Transaction Feedback
              Various E30 Parts for Sale!
              Z3 Steering Racks for Sale!

Current Fleet:
              -1987 Delphin Grey 325iS
              -1989 Bronzit Beige 325iS

Comment

Originally posted by posix View Post
                then saturday probably getting an alignment.
                Firestone occasionally has a deal that's $150 for unlimited alignments for the life of the car at any location (usually $200).
                sigpic
                1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by ScottSneed View Post
                  Are you using spacers between the rack and the holes? Also, remember that the knuckle doesn't completely cover the input shaft
                  the spacers are currently between the top of the rack and the top hole of the subframe. ya, the knuckle is aligned to the recess of the input shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                    Firestone occasionally has a deal that's $150 for unlimited alignments for the life of the car at any location (usually $200).

great, i'll check that out!

Comment

question about the ps hoses. does the line from the reservoir connect to the top part of the pump or the side part of the pump? the diagram i looked like it connects to the top. but then according to this DIY: http://e30.iamgary.com/e36-z3-rack-swap-and-install/ it looks like its connected to the side

Comment

was working on call until like midnight last night haha. finished the PS lines, got the new control arms installed, installed new calipers and brake pads. just dropped it off to get aligned. finished ahead of schedule.

thanks you everyone for all the help!

Comment

Working...
                        X