Cantaloupe Radio Refurb Service Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cantaloupe Radio Refurb Service Review

Two months ago, my CM5908 shit the bed. I took the E30 out on a nice sunday afternoon, only to find the radio was not loud and full of static. Pulling out of the neighborhood, there was a waft of burning electronics. Shit, there goes a nice Sunday drive.

Initially, I attempted to repair the CM5908 myself. I slowly removed the heatsink to the amp, and found a few capacitors that had leak/popped. I removed a few, but found a PCB trace that was lifting off the board. I knew then and there, I was way out of my element. I was already testing myself by trying to replace caps, but soldering jumper wires for bad traces on an unknown PCB board was were I drew the line.

Funny story, my CM5908 actually has one of the original beta boards developed by Jay Sterling from Cantaloupe Radio. So in my googling to find a company that would repair my CM5908's amp, I was happy to find that Cantaloupe offered this exact service. I guess I'm not the only one to have had this issue. Given I've seen Jay's work first hand with the beta board, it was an easy decision to send my radio to Cantaloupe.

The whole process was very easy. I selected the service on the website and checked out. I promptly received an email with instruction on where to send the radio. I carefully packed my precious slider radio, and sent it via USPS insured for a high dollar amount. Less than a week later, I have my radio back in hand. The refurb service was very quick. Jay kept me informed the entire time, from when he received the radio, to when it was shipped out, and even when it was out for delivery.

I had the chance to reinstall the radio, and I'm very happy to have it working again. The radio is loud, and crisp, dare I even say it sounds better than before? :D I might be bias here, but when faced with different options with repairing my slider radio, I ultimately think that Cantaloupe was the right choice. Jay is familiar with the radios, he workmanship is top notch, and his price is VERY fair.

If you have any issues with these radios, I strongly suggest you check out Jay at Cantaloupe Radio!

*This endorsement was done out of my appreciation for Jay, Canataloupe Radio, and their support for this community**

Awesome. I'll have to send mine in for repair one of these days.
    Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Hows the bluetooth and all that jazz working?
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        Hows the bluetooth and all that jazz working?
        Great!

I replaced the old speakers and have been using Jay's daughter board setup for over a year. I have one of the original beta boards. I'm most impressed with the call quality, no one complains about background noise even with the windows down.

However, I don't put a lot of miles on the car...and I'm starting to think it might be time to sell it. In my 2? or is it 3? years I've only put 1.5k maybe 2k on the car. Every time I drive it, I change my mind. But go fast parts for my other cars are expensive!

Comment

Originally posted by Boggie1688 View Post
          Great!

I replaced the old speakers and have been using Jay's daughter board setup for over a year. I have one of the original beta boards. I'm most impressed with the call quality, no one complains about background noise even with the windows down.

However, I don't put a lot of miles on the car...and I'm starting to think it might be time to sell it. In my 2? or is it 3? years I've only put 1.5k maybe 2k on the car. Every time I drive it, I change my mind. But go fast parts for my other cars are expensive!
          Nice. Where did you put the mic?
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            Nice. Where did you put the mic?
            Funny enough, its in the pocket in front of the shifter. I ran the wire through the dash area, past the gap between the steering column and footwheel panel. Then I left enough cord to just toss the mic into the pocket in front of the shifter. I was going to go back and mount the mic somewhere better, but its work so well thus far!

I can hold a conversation, leave the windows down and zero complaints from the caller on the other end.

Comment

Working...
            X