Milky bitch tube question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milky bitch tube question

I'm a few months from finishing my 2.9 stroker m20 and I've blown the head gasket on the stock engine in the car. It's mixing coolant with the oil, but not oil with the coolant.
    I started pulling the head to get it crack tested, etc. and I was surprised at just how clogged the bitch tube was with really thick milkshake.
    I know that to do things properly, I should drop the sump and clean it out, but if I'm going to have to pull the engine I might as well just finish building the stroker and drop that in.
    As I need the car back on the road in a hurry until the new engine is ready, can I just do the head and do a couple of oil changes with engine flush in quick succession and hope that cleans all the crap out?

pull the oil level sensor to see how much crap is really there on the bottom.
    If you don't want to pull the pan and don't have too much crap in there, you can try flushing it out with some kerosine possibly
    Last edited by zaq123; 03-19-2019, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Great idea, I'll pull the oil level sensor tomorrow.
      I've just pulled the head, it's the oil pan that I want to avoid pulling, and found some slight P to V contact on the inlet side of cyls 6,5 and 4. 6 is by far the worse one.
      It's a Schrick 284/272 cam in an AMC head. Having the head surfaced is only going to make things worse, so it looks like I'll be going back to a stock cam.

Comment

Originally posted by E30-325iS View Post
        Great idea, I'll pull the oil level sensor tomorrow.
        I've just pulled the head, it's the oil pan that I want to avoid pulling, and found some slight P to V contact on the inlet side of cyls 6,5 and 4. 6 is by far the worse one.
        It's a Schrick 284/272 cam in an AMC head. Having the head surfaced is only going to make things worse, so it looks like I'll be going back to a stock cam.
        I meant pan, not the head (edited my post)

Comment

I wouldn’t worry about pulling the pan. Just change the oil once or twice after you get it running. Use the cheap stuff to flush it out.
          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Might be a good opportunity to swap heads to an OEM 885 (assuming the AMC is unmodified)
            If you need convincing, just google the difference between the AMC and 885. There's a thread with comparison pics somewhere, maybe flow bench results, I can't quite remember how in depth it went.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
              Might be a good opportunity to swap heads to an OEM 885 (assuming the AMC is unmodified)
              If you need convincing, just google the difference between the AMC and 885. There's a thread with comparison pics somewhere, maybe flow bench results, I can't quite remember how in depth it went.
              looks like he is building 2.9 on the side, hopefully with 885..

Comment

How does the sump gasket look?

probably the easiest time to remove the sump is now given the head is off.

I would be tempted to remove it and replace the gasket at the same time if the gasket looks ordinary.

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                  I wouldn’t worry about pulling the pan. Just change the oil once or twice after you get it running. Use the cheap stuff to flush it out.
                  That's probably what I'll end up doing.

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                  Yeah, I know what you mean, AMC heads are pretty crap and this one is no exception. I read somewhere that properly ported they are meant to be pretty good. I think it was in one of Diggers threads. I have an 885 that I'm saving for the other engine and the differences are obvious.
                  One thing I found is that the AMC doesn't have the dimples on the gasket side. I don't know if AMC never bothered to put them in or if the head has already been skimmed.

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
                  looks like he is building 2.9 on the side, hopefully with 885..
                  Exactly.

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                  How does the sump gasket look?

probably the easiest time to remove the sump is now given the head is off.

I would be tempted to remove it and replace the gasket at the same time if the gasket looks ordinary.
                  Sump gasket is cork and is in very ordinary shape. If I was intending to keep the engine for a while I would definitely change it, but I'm just trying to patch it up and back on the road until I can finish building the 2.9.

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean, AMC heads are pretty crap and this one is no exception. I read somewhere that properly ported they are meant to be pretty good. I think it was in one of Diggers threads. I have an 885 that I'm saving for the other engine and the differences are obvious.
                    One thing I found is that the AMC doesn't have the dimples on the gasket side. I don't know if AMC never bothered to put them in or if the head has already been skimmed.
                    I think the AMC head has a little more meat all around, so it ends up being a little more resistant to cracking, and gives you more to work with for porting. I think the head you mentioned in Digger's thread was done by Knight Engines in Aus. Not sure how that works out vs the 731 that I think is in Rama's car.

My memory is kind of foggy on this. I remember there was a thread on some other forum with a good number of pictures of heavily ported 731 and AMC 885 heads that I thought were done by Knight.
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Sump gasket is cork and is in very ordinary shape. If I was intending to keep the engine for a while I would definitely change it, but I'm just trying to patch it up and back on the road until I can finish building the 2.9.
                      Do what you will but if the head is off the engine, you are around 1hr away from having that sump off.
                      Last edited by e30davie; 03-24-2019, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                        Do what you will but if the head is off the engine, you are around 1hr away from having that sump off.
                        I know what you mean about doing things properly.

I had the head pressure tested and there's a crack running longitudinally approximately under the intake rocker shaft near valve five.
                        I haven't completely made up my mind whether to have it welded or focus on building the 2.9. The main thing holding me back from building the 2.9 is that I just don't have time to do it at the moment.

Comment

I know what you mean about doing things properly.

I had the head pressure tested and there's a crack running longitudinally approximately under the intake rocker shaft near valve five.
                          I haven't completely made up my mind whether to have it welded or focus on building the 2.9. The main thing holding me back from building the 2.9 is that I just don't have time to do it at the moment.
                          Seems like you shoudl focus on the 2.9 unless the car absolutely has to be running.
                          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I've used this flush before to clear gunk out and it worked surprisingly well.

Comment

Thanks Andrew, I decided to build the 2.9, but if I was just slapping the head back on the old engine I probably would have tried it.

Comment

Working...
                              X