No announcement yet.

DIY Independent Fog Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing this will allow the fogs to operate without the headlights on. You do have to have the parking lights on though.

Comment

I did the above method in the pic and it works just as described.
      - Greg
      α Team Founding Member
      1984 BMW 325 Henna Rot - Sarah -Uber project
      2011 BMW 335d LeMans Blau - Daily Diesel Torque monster

Comment

That simple ? ? Any downside risk ?
        sigpic

Leave Feedback here:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=261541

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
          Isn't there someone out there who's actually done this and can confirm???
          guess not.
          sigpic
          Reich und Roll!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick325is View Post

Doing this will allow the fogs to operate without the headlights on. You do have to have the parking lights on though.
            What year is your E30? I've seen people say that the foglight wiring changed in 1990, and the pre-90 method just made my headlights turn on whenever my battery is hooked up...

I've seen a few others, but they all seem to contradict themselves:
            http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?p=3797181
            http://users.rcn.com/nifftylion/head...0FOGLIGHTS.pdf
            Last edited by Northern; 09-22-2011, 08:32 AM.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Hey, thanks guys. This was like taking candy from a baby. I tried it once before but never bent pin 85 so it didnt work. Now is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick325is View Post

This is ALL you have to do? Or the wiring behind the fog switch also?

Comment

Did mine in 5min. Works great!

Comment

foglight

I have a 91 , do you think its gonna work

Comment

I have a 1990 325i and I did the independent foglight setup a couple of weeks ago. It works perfectly. I did not do it the way it's stated above. There's a write up done by X Mon, but he's got some things mixed up. Reading his write up is a good way to get started in the right direction, though. I have angel eyes with HID projectors. The angel eyes are tied to my fog lights, so when i turn on my fog lights the halos turn on too. lt looks sick! Also, I wired it up so that when i turn on my high beams, my low beams AND fog lights stay on. very bright. my city lights have been converted to blinkers. Oh yeah, I don't get any malfunction lights on the check panel either. I will be posting up pictures this weekend. don't have time until then. maybe a write up, too? if people want.

edit: no soldering required

Comment

Here are some pictures of the independent fog lights on my car. The first picture is the fog lights, parking lights, and halos on. The second picture is with the lowbeams, fog lights, parking lights, and halos on. The third picture is with everything on.
                        Attached Files

Comment

which headlights are those?
                          "I wanna see da boat movie"
                          "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Here's the link to a listing of another one just like the one I got. I bought it from the same guy, fishcake321. You can buy them without the HID kit too. I believe the headlights are made by DEPO or DESPO. It's got smoked glass lens. The lens are made this way and not smoke-painted. They're nice quality. The adjusters actually work. And the projectors have a sharp cut-off line. The only thing is that the cut-off line has a bend; imagine a clock with the hands at 9:10. The other gripe I have about these headlights are the halos. Although hard to see in the pictures, each halo is lit by 4 bulbs at 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock, and 9 o'clock. In person, it is easy to see that each of these points of the halo are more intensely lit. However, this is due to the bulb's fault and not the headlight themselves. Halogen bulbs are designed to project and causes this problem in the halo. I'm thinking that this problem can be solved with different bulbs, which is why I've ordered SMD (surface mounted device) LED bulbs. These SMD bulbs are designed to have a wide projection unlike halogens or other LED bulbs with the clear epoxy dome. I'll let you know if this fixes the problem. Here's a couple of pictures of how they look wired up.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here's what the wiring for the independent fog light should look like. I used old fog light relay to wire it up. Could have made it so that the relay could have been inserted into the empty K9 slot at the upper left of fuse box. However, I decided not to because utilizing that slot doesn't allow the connectors to go in all the way but only a quarter of the way.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Does this not work with HID Fogs? It works on mine, and then I try and use the exact same relay in my brothers and it doesn't work.

Comment

Working...
                                X