Stock cluster VSS signal parameters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    if you have MS3x you should have plenty of inputs for VSS. I'm sure I have done over 120mph while logging (on a track) and I never saw a dropout, but I don't recall which input I used.
    The issue is that as far as I can tell, Nitrous In is the only one that takes 12V signals. I'd prefer not to have to add extra circuitry to reduce the voltage, even though it's easy enough to do.

Comment

I used the N2O input on the MS3X:

But there's a difference here - Pazi might be using MS2, which has a slower CPU - the N2O input on my MS3X was plenty fast enough as far as I can tell, as the MS3 uses a newer, faster CPU. Also according to my own notes (which I don't remember typing, lol), you can also use any of the extra ADC inputs for VSS.
      Last edited by nando; 01-10-2019, 01:24 PM.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

But there's a difference here - Pazi might be using MS2, which has a slower CPU - the N2O input on my MS3X was plenty fast enough as far as I can tell, as the MS3 uses a newer, faster CPU. Also according to my own notes (which I don't remember typing, lol), you can also use any of the extra ADC inputs for VSS.
        Thanks for the confirmation. I know how the "trusting your own notes" thing goes. I'm trying to stay organized with the build but the documentation definitely leaves something to be desired.

Comment

No. Ms3x too and n2o input too. I did read about that same vss input sampling problem on many places and solution was to use pt4 input. I noticed the same problem on the other e30 also with ms3x. The ms3x is of course faster than ms2, but only few inputs have fast sampling rate. As far as I know only pt4 is something that can be used for this purpose. Could be others, but i didn't find documentation about sampling rate of each ms3x input.

OT: that connection diagram available on that link. Who made that. I have worked many hours trying to solve strange megasquirt problems, and it has all come to people using that diagram. Like why the +12v from ignition switch goes to iac2? Js11 can't drive tach out without extra circuitry, so why it's connected directly to tach line? Icv pin to fidle. Way to failure because fidle ouput can't handle the current required by idle valve for long periods of time. It would need 2wire pwm mod. Also that easily leads to power loops that cause megasquirt to not turn off..
          Last edited by pazi88; 01-10-2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

That's mine. I also have additional circuits to handle the other stuff in the proto area, for example the circuit that activates the main relay is the reason for using that pin (you could use any free pin, I just chose that one). If you read the links at the bottom it makes sense:
            http://www.megasquirt.325ix.com/MS_t...t_Circuit.html. My stock tach works just fine. *shrug*

It definitely works - my car has run the same MS3 setup since 2010, I was probably the first E30 or M20 to run it. I've never had an issue with the PWM idle, and I daily drove it until recently. I got bored of it though, I haven't touched the firmware or tune since 2012.
            Last edited by nando; 01-10-2019, 04:05 PM.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

That's mine. I also have additional circuits to handle the other stuff, for example the circuit that activates the main relay. It definitely works - my car has run the same MS3 setup since 2010. I've never had an issue with the PWM idle.
              Probably yes in that case. But the sheet doesn't clearly say that extra circuity is needed or even what kind, so that leads people wiring up everything directly to ms3 pins and then wonder why it doesn't work. I would advice to add more info there. I don't want to be rude but it's annoying have to deal same problems caused by that diagram many times.

Comment

It does, but you have to read all the links below, notes, etc.

But I would be willing to fix problems you've had with it to make it more clear. I just haven't looked at or touched it in almost 10 years because I haven't had to. Honestly I don't even remember how I built half of that stuff, lol.

Actually I'm kind of amazed anyone even used that chart, I mostly just made it for my own reference while I was building everything..
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Only the cam and PT4 inputs are "high speed." If you have a high speed signal like an abs tone ring, I believe you can use a VR conditioner into a regular input to prevent the drop out issue. I don't know what frequency is the hardware's limit... I'm sure you could figure it out with tire size knowing 200kph is the limit on 9 teeth.

I also recall other inputs able to take 12v or nitrous taking ground. It's essentially just a trigger circuit pre built for 12v–similar to how you can modify JS10 to take 12v or ground. Maybe I'm making this up. Refer to the manual of course.
                  '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                  NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                  Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
                    Only the cam and PT4 inputs are "high speed." If you have a high speed signal like an abs tone ring, I believe you can use a VR conditioner into a regular input to prevent the drop out issue. I don't know what frequency is the hardware's limit... I'm sure you could figure it out with tire size knowing 200kph is the limit on 9 teeth.

I also recall other inputs able to take 12v or nitrous taking ground. It's essentially just a trigger circuit pre built for 12v–similar to how you can modify JS10 to take 12v or ground. Maybe I'm making this up. Refer to the manual of course.
                    It probably just depends on whether or not the input has a pull-up resistor installed in the normal configuration or not.

In order to get more clarification, I've also posted this question on msextra and I will report back what I learn.

Comment

Working...
                    X