Quick help please..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick help please..

I am currently inconvenienced.. My car wont start. This problem started yesterday and i suspect that it's the fuel i put in the car. When i was driving to a friend's house the car stalled in 3rd gear and wouldn't start again. After many tries of starting it in neutral it didnt work. I then put it in 1st, sank the clutch and turned the ignition; the car started. I gave it a little gas and it stalled. I think its a gas problem, i'm heading over to my car now to drain the fuel system. Update: i changed the fuel but it still isnt starting so that rules out fuel. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Lyrred; 07-12-2009, 11:08 AM.

ttt

Comment

make sure your getting fuel first... could be your pump. if your getting fuel check for spark.. my old car died and wouldnt start cause the rotor blew apart.

Comment

This could be a lot of things. However if you are able to clutch bump it start, and it idles, that just ruled out ignition issues. Then you touch the gas and it dies?
        Sounds like fuel pump to me.

I just had the same symptoms on a friends car.
        Hope this helps you.
        -Johnnyp

1987 PRO-3 car /1990 325is (2.7i Concours)

Comment

^^your avatar looks like my step-dad after a 12 pack
          -Andy

Comment

maybe fuel pump relay?

Comment

thanks for the response.. I didnt bump start it, it started on its own but since then it wont start any more. I'm thinking it may be fuel pump relay. I understand that its located in a separate box underneath the hood. The fuel pump relay is the middle of the 3 correct? How exactly do i test this relay?

Comment

i think there all the same, try swapping in a known good one and see if it starts

Comment

k i just put a jumper wire between terminals 30 and 87 for the fuel pump relay. I hear the fuel pump engaging but when i turn the ignition the car doesn't start. Now for possible spark issues?

Comment

could it possibly be my computer? the spark from the coil is weak and cuts out. fyi - I have a jc chip inside my ecu. Maybe the computer or the chip might be the problem?

Comment

maybe the coil do you have another to swap with and check? also it would be worth puling you distributer cap and looking at the rotor

Comment

maybe it is the coil but there are many things occurring. The fuel pump doesnt cut on when i turn the ignition key either.. It only cuts on when i use a jumper wire. How exactly does a bad coil rotor look? Sorry for my noobitude :) i appreciate all the info.

Comment

How do i run an ECU test? I want to make sure that i am getting power to my ECU. My car is a 1987 325is with M20. Which pins do i test? ive been scouring online and the bentley manual and i can't figure out.

Comment

cap and rotor will have pitting if they are bad. the coil is separate, on the side of the passenger fender. It's about the size and shape of a coke can.
                            '89 325i track sloot
                            '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

My advice/thoughts.... Take your fuel line off the rail and turn the key. Fuel spray out? Your delivery systems a-ok. So it's either your injectors or your ignition. Take a sparkplug out, ground it, if it makes a spark, it's probably not your coil/cap/whatever. So it's back to your injection. ECU?...

'90 325i

Comment

Working...
                              X