Timing belt blown, Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing belt blown, Options?

Hey just popped my t belt while I was driving today, was planning on ordering a new belt kit tomorrow too. What are the chances of the head being blown? 100% hahaha, that's what I'm assuming. I wanna know what my best option for repairing it is, cost being the main concern. Thanks for any help guys, I'm super bummed out. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Take your valve cover off and see if you snapped and rockers or head casting. I ended up just pulling a good head from the junkyard, had it skimmed , lapped the valve seats and threw it back together.
    1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
    1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
    bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Head rebuild or replacement.

Comment

I'll have the valve cover off tomorrow, I'll see how my luck is at the scrap yards here in MI, see if they even have some decent e30s. Do Bottom ends not usually suffer any damage in the M20s or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve View Post
          I'll have the valve cover off tomorrow, I'll see how my luck is at the scrap yards here in MI, see if they even have some decent e30s. Do Bottom ends not usually suffer any damage in the M20s or what?
          Most of the times bottom end is ok but the valves need replaced, although I have seen valves break off and cause hell in the cylinder so you never know until you look
          Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
          Bimmerbuddies LLC
          717-388-1256
          2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
          bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

All of my valves are seated in the springs, I had a broken lifter when I pulled the valve cover

Comment

I would look deeper. The cam doesn't stop instantly, and neither did the crank. Something touched, and that same broken rocker, probably has a bent valve. I would bet on a few bent valves.

Comment

When the timing belt popped in the car that's now our racecar, it bent 8 valves, broke 2 rocker arms, and the rocker shaft casting. The only real way you can tell the full damage dealt is to pull the head. My bet is you bent Atleast 1 valve, most likely a few.

Depending on your overall situation, you could look into an M5x. Or just rebuild/get another 885 head and keep on truckin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Originally posted by flyboyx
                how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
                Originally posted by Northern
                beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
                Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
                Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
                '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
                Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

I'm buying an entire m20, swapping the good head onto the block in my car, and taking the blown head and building that with the block I'm purchasing

Comment

make sure you have the head decked (machined flat) and that the divots are still in the head before and after machining. DO NOT use victor reins headgaskets or head bolts. buy the head bolts and goetze head gasket from blunttech. if you can afford it. have the valves checked in the head and replaced if the they are worn out. and must do valve seals. the whole deal should cost you less than $800 total.
                    Much wow
                    I hate 4 doors

Comment

Working...
                    X