Why does my e34 oil pan not fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regasketing my engine on a stand right now, and after replacing the e36 oil pickup tube with the e34 one and wiring the oil pump nut to the sprocket, I can't put the pan on correctly. It feels as though the pickup tube is hitting the pan but I put it in the only way it can go.

The engine had the stock windage tray, which I removed because my e34 pan has a built in baffle. Anyone know why?
    91 318iS - aluminum M52B28 + ZF320 + 3.15 Torsen

The stock windage tray should still fit. There’s a tab on it you need to break off though. This is done by bending it back and forth until it cracks, that way there’s no abrasive dust.

Post a picture of your pan’s windage tray.
    Last edited by pandaboo911; 06-17-2019, 05:02 PM.

Comment

the old bracket for the e36 pick up tube needs to get ditched
      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
        The stock windage tray should still fit. There’s a tab on it you need to break off though. This is done by bending it back and forth until it cracks, that way there’s no abrasive dust.

Post a picture of your pan’s windage tray.
        Originally posted by wworm View Post
        the old bracket for the e36 pick up tube needs to get ditched
        Doesn't look like there's a tab there at all. After trying to put it on again, it almost seems like the e34's built in windage tray isn't lining up so it's hitting or something.

The engine:

The e34 pan's built in windage tray:

The Z3 M52's original windage tray I removed:

Comment

looks like the windage tray in the pan could be hitting those triangular braces, youll have to drill out/grind down the rivets and pull the windage tray off the pan and use the stock engine windage tray
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

You got it mixed up, re use the windage tray that came with the engine from the factory. Drill out/ remove the built in e34 windage tray.

Also like other's are saying, you need to "break off" or what I did on both my swaps, remove the main bearing cap to remove the stock e36 oil pick up bracket. These are technically one time use bolts, re use the bolts at your own risk.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
            1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
            1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
            1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
            1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
            1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
            Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
            1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
            1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
              looks like the windage tray in the pan could be hitting those triangular braces, youll have to drill out/grind down the rivets and pull the windage tray off the pan and use the stock engine windage tray
              Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
              You got it mixed up, re use the windage tray that came with the engine from the factory. Drill out/ remove the built in e34 windage tray.

Also like other's are saying, you need to "break off" or what I did on both my swaps, remove the main bearing cap to remove the stock e36 oil pick up bracket. These are technically one time use bolts, re use the bolts at your own risk.
              My engine doesn't seem to have the pick up bracket that I need to break off. Also, it has the triangular braces which I have yet to see on another engine. Just want to make sure before I drill out my oil pan's windage tray!

Comment

The pick-up tube bracket you need to remove is on the original M52 windage tray.

I see that the bracket is still is attached in the picture from your second post - it is the metal piece perpendicular to the windage tray and attached at two points.

Once the pick-up tube bracket is removed it will allow your E34 pan to fit with its windage tray removed - just drill out the rivet heads carefully. I have this same style pan set-up on my aluminum M52.

The triangular braces you refer to are only installed on the aluminum block engines. The purpose of these is to stiffen the lower block.

As you found out, you do not need to loosen any of the main bearing caps to remove the windage tray (or the pick-up tube bracket), just a few of the bolts that hold the braces. I just broke off my bracket without removing the windage tray from the block. I did a quick search of the TIS and did not see a specific torque listed for these stiffening braces...so you will probably need to do a bit of research to find the correct spec.

MJ

Last edited by mjweimer; 06-23-2019, 04:27 AM. Reason: added pics

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                  The pick-up tube bracket you need to remove is on the original M52 windage tray.

I see that the bracket is still is attached in the picture from your second post - it is the metal piece perpendicular to the windage tray and attached at two points.

Once the pick-up tube bracket is removed it will allow your E34 pan to fit with its windage tray removed - just drill out the rivet heads carefully. I have this same style pan set-up on my aluminum M52.

The triangular braces you refer to are only installed on the aluminum block engines. The purpose of these is to stiffen the lower block.

As you found out, you do not need to loosen any of the main bearing caps to remove the windage tray (or the pick-up tube bracket), just a few of the bolts that hold the braces. I just broke off my bracket without removing the windage tray from the block. I did a quick search of the TIS and did not see a specific torque listed for these stiffening braces...so you will probably need to do a bit of research to find the correct spec.

MJ
                  This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a bunch!

Comment

Originally posted by fastestbox View Post
                    This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a bunch!

Happy to help!

Good luck with your project.

MJ

Comment

Interesting, I haven’t seen those triangular braces before. My s52 definitely fit with both the oil pan tray and the tray bolted to the crank main caps.

Must be something about the z3 motor

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                        Interesting, I haven’t seen those triangular braces before. My s52 definitely fit with both the oil pan tray and the tray bolted to the crank main caps.

Must be something about the z3 motor
                        Originally posted by mjweimer View Post

Comment

Working...
                        X