RHD light flywheel - review and question re noise when starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gilber33 View Post
    I just installed the same flywheel in my 325i. I have the exact same noise when starting. I also know someone local to me who is experiencing the same thing. I have an email into RHD as well.

It's like the starter is binding on the flywheel when I start. It's awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like we are in exactly the same position. RHD confirmed by email that I should be hearing more noise on account of the design and material of the fly wheel but had no particular comment on the noise associated with the starter. To be clear I have detected no functional problem whatsoever with starting I am just concerned that the noise is coinciding with wear that should not be happening.

Comment

Originally posted by r-mm View Post
      Sounds like we are in exactly the same position. RHD confirmed by email that I should be hearing more noise on account of the design and material of the fly wheel but had no particular comment on the noise associated with the starter. To be clear I have detected no functional problem whatsoever with starting I am just concerned that the noise is coinciding with wear that should not be happening.

I had just gotten a reply from them too.

"Hi

look they are noisy because its steel not cast iron and rings like a bell! but im just investigating the possibility that there may have been some that were manufactured with the wrong clearances!!... possibly too much from what i can gather

i will have an answer in a couple weeks

Rama"

It sounds like they have gotten more inquiries about it. The car works great, but the noise it makes when it starts makes me want to put the stock flywheel back in.

Comment

Very interesting. Please keep me updated I will do same. I would be very very not happy to pull the motor to remedy this even if the part were free.

Does anyone have a current production RHD flywheel and stock iron on the bench to compare?

Comment

Gilber can you try and experiment. Get your car warmed up or to wherever it is in its happy place for starting. Then try starting it and release the key a lot sooner than you think you need to in order to get it to catch. I am wondering if I’m not hearing an improvement and whether technique may have something to do with the sound. Let me know what you find

Trying to think why this may be. All I can think is the different rotational physics of the lighter wheel makes the retraction of the pinion harder to execute ?

Last edited by r-mm; 05-11-2019, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Gilber can you try and experiment. Get your car warmed up or to wherever it is in its happy place for starting. Then try starting it and release the key a lot sooner than you think you need to in order to get it to catch. I am wondering if I’m not hearing an improvement and whether technique may have something to do with the sound. Let me know what you find

Trying to think why this may be. All I can think is the different rotational physics of the lighter wheel makes the retraction of the pinion harder to execute ?

My car takes maybe 2 seconds if cranking to start and it makes that sound for the duration of it. Hot, cold, start it, turn it off and start it again. It doesn't matter. Always makes the sound. Being that you're having this issue and another person local to me experiencing the same thing, I don't think it's technique, I think there is something wrong with the flywheel.

Comment

We have had the m50 RHD flywheel for m5 pressure assembly in use for one summer. No problems with starter, no strange noises or other stuff. Works great. But maybe bit too light for daily driver. Getting car moving from standstill is tricky because thorttle is very touchy with that.

Comment

Steel flywheels with machined starter rings are always noisy

Comment

I installed mine last night.

Engine is out of the car, trans not attached.

I can compare to the stock dual mass flywheel.

What are we looking for?
                  1991 318iC
                  1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Checking that the gear pitch is the same

Checking that the depth from mating surface to ring gear is the same.

Comment

Pitch is the same.

Can't check distance to ring gear without pulling the RHD flywheel.
                      1991 318iC
                      1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

The pinion retracts when it becomes driven by the flywheel rather than driving it. I can't see that mass would have a bearing on that especially given that it takes place at idle
                        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                        Alice the Time Capsule
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I am certainly not trying to play down the problem and plan on pursuing it with the manufacturer but I will say that releasing the Key much much earlier than my past experience and intuition tells me is necessary has reduced the sound.

Is it absolutely the case that the flywheel on a running motor pushes the pinion back? I have not looked into this in much detail I was under the impression that releasing the key from start de energizes the solenoid and allows the pinion to retract but I could be wrong.

Comment

I am certainly not trying to play down the problem and plan on pursuing it with the manufacturer but I will say that releasing the Key much much earlier than my past experience and intuition tells me is necessary has reduced the sound.

Is it absolutely the case that the flywheel on a running motor pushes the pinion back? I have not looked into this in much detail I was under the impression that releasing the key from start de energizes the solenoid and allows the pinion to retract but I could be wrong.
                            "The Bendix system places the starter drive pinion on a helical drive spring. When the starter motor begins turning, the inertia of the drive pinion assembly causes it to wind the spring forcing the length of the spring to change, and allowing the pinion to engage with the ring gear. When the engine starts, backdrive from the ring gear causes the drive pinion to exceed the rotative speed of the starter, at which point the drive pinion is forced back and out of mesh with the ring gear."

In other words...yes :)
                            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                            Alice the Time Capsule
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Any update on this? I just sent Rama a follow-up email. I'm going to be pulling the engine to check some clutch chatter and will be putting the OEM flywheel back in the car.

Comment

Curious about this as well.

R-mm is yours quieting down with use?
                                1991 318iC
                                1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Working...
                                X