Urgent: M42 radiator with S50/S52 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urgent: M42 radiator with S50/S52 swap

I am using an M42 radiator with my S52 swap and it's overheating. I've bled the system every way imaginable except vacuum and coolant always ends up boiling out of the cap once it reaches operating temperature. I've block tested for exhaust gases and it came up negative. I've changed the thermostat, water pump, radiator x2 and cap. I have a brand new M42 radiator i was going to try next but honestly don't think it will make a difference as I have already tried 2 different used radiators. I think I'm going to just get a M coupe radiator with late model expansion tank. Could it be that the M42 radiator core is too small for the S52?
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Very much so, I’ve never felt confident in the m42 radiator even having a m42. But i ditched that thing in a heartbeat for a bigger radiator, even thot its a pain to route the hoses to the firewall where I have the overflow tank, but its better piece of mind

Comment

Thanks to this thread...

It appears to have worked the very first time! Going to let the car cool down to see where the coolant level is and drive it again. I will be shopping for a late model coolant reservoir and aluminum M roadster/coupe radiator soon for that extra peace of mind but so far, so good.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

Drove the car the other day in 82F weather and coolant started boiling over again...(sigh). I ordered a CSF E36 aluminum radiator. This should cure my overheating issue.

Comment

I run an M42 radiator with an M50 and a 80/88 sensor and haven't had trouble. Car heats up after coming off the freeway, the electric fan comes on and catches it, everything is fine.

How are your heater hoses routed? TB heater? What temperature is your aux fan sensor?
          cars beep boop

Comment

I wouldn't trust the M42 radiator for, say, track use, but I have had absolutely no trouble filling and bleeding it the normal way.
            2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
            2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
            1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
            Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Running an M42 radiator with an S52. Stays below half when moving & creeps up slowly when stopped, but Spal Pusher fan kicks in just right of center with the 82 sensor.

Comment

Barry, I went with the stock e36M3 rad & e30 external resivour because of hints I had heard of overheating.
                I've never been impressed with swaps that use the m42 radiator, mainly to keep things looking clean. Let me know how the new set up ends up working for you.
                Last edited by IRON-E; 07-03-2019, 09:53 AM.
                @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

M42 radiator sucks. E30/E36 radiator only.
                  '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                    I wouldn't trust the M42 radiator for, say, track use...
                    Me either.
                    Originally posted by kronus
                    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Working...
                    X